All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Double-Checking my MMC Calculations

Move Thread LAN_403
KeeDx3
Mon Jul 10 2017, 04:48AM
KeeDx3 Registered Member #61435 Joined: Thu Jan 19 2017, 06:46AM
I recently picked up where I left off on a small SGTC I've been working on. I recently decided to use a different transformer, so I had to recalculate the MMC array.

The transformer I'm now using is an Allanson 12/30 NST.

According to Deep Fried Neon, with 12000v 30mA at 60HZ, I should be aiming for a total capacitance of 0.066uF.
According to what I have read in the past, the total voltage rating should be about twice the NST's rated voltage.

Using DFN's calculators, it seemed that the best match was the Cornell Dubilier 942C 942C20S22K-F rated at 2000vDC at 0.022uF. These would be arranged in an array of 4 strings of 13 caps giving the following specs:

Capacitance: 0.0067uF
Voltage Rating: 26000
Number of Caps: 52

I just thought I'd post this for review before spending almost $200 on caps. It was a little overwhelming choosing caps with different values and seeing how they interacted in the calculator. The model above seemed to give me the closest to target values with the lowest number of caps needed. Though I stand to be corrected, thus my posting here.
KeeDx3
Thu Jul 13 2017, 03:04AM
Well, I'll assume the crickets mean that I'm on the right track and at least not headed down the wrong path.
Sulaiman
Thu Jul 13 2017, 10:00AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I guess the lack of replies is related to moral responsibility - not wanting to give the wrong advice.

You can have four strings of 13 caps in series 6n77, 26000 V (52 caps total)
or
three strings of ten caps in series, 6n66, 20 kV (30 caps total)
I believe that the voltage and current ratings of the caps are sufficient
and the cost is < 60% of the four string option.

However, 6.66 nF is the value of capacitance that will resonate with the output inductance of the NST at 60 Hz.
For maximum power it is common to increase the value of capacitance to larger than required for resonance, about 9 to10 nF
so go back to the calculator and catalogue to find a new cost effective combination of capacitors ;)
KeeDx3
Fri Jul 14 2017, 05:25AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I guess the lack of replies is related to moral responsibility - not wanting to give the wrong advice.

You can have four strings of 13 caps in series 6n77, 26000 V (52 caps total)
or
three strings of ten caps in series, 6n66, 20 kV (30 caps total)
I believe that the voltage and current ratings of the caps are sufficient
and the cost is < 60% of the four string option.

However, 6.66 nF is the value of capacitance that will resonate with the output inductance of the NST at 60 Hz.
For maximum power it is common to increase the value of capacitance to larger than required for resonance, about 9 to10 nF
so go back to the calculator and catalogue to find a new cost effective combination of capacitors ;)

Thanks for this! That definitely helps me avoid some future grief.

And you're probably right about the advice. It's easy to forget that a simple post could mean life or death.
klugesmith
Sat Jul 15 2017, 02:29AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Just a couple of comments from one non Tesla coiler.

1. In OP, K. says: aiming for a total capacitance of 0.066uF.
That's ten times more capacitance than the MMC arrays discussed in the rest of the thread. Typographical misplacement of the decimal point, right?

2. Compared to the original 13x4 solution, Sulaiman's 10x3 gets essentially the same net capacitance using 42% fewer capacitors. But in operation, the electrical stress on each individual 942C will be proportionally greater. Each cap will get 30% more RF voltage and 33% more RF current. Both of those factors might want to be squared (or used with some intermediate exponent), for analysis of reliability, temperature rise, etc.

So it comes down to a judgement call about how much design margin is appropriate. Tesla coiler wisdom is plentiful at this forum. Probably more relevant than guidelines from C-D customers whose designs have to operate continuously except for annual maintenance.

Someone said the MMC array should be rated for at least twice the nominal NST voltage. The ratios for our two candidates are 2.17 and 1.67. The MMC voltage ratings are 1.53 and 1.18 times the NST's peak V_open_circuit voltage, if my arithmetic is right.

There's an elephant in the room, about which I claim no expertise. Those 942C20S22K-F's are nominally 2000 volt devices. That's the DC rating; AC rating is only 500 volts.
1500085698 2099 FT180134 942c
Sulaiman
Sat Jul 15 2017, 09:54AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
This is the difference between 'coiling' and 'engineering', safety margins,
a good part of the reason that no answers were given earlier.

This type of capacitor usually has three frequency operating regions;

1) Below F1 (varies with capacitor type,) a.c. voltage is determined by dielectric breakdown voltage
2) Above F2 (varies with capacitor type,) a.c. voltage is determined by rms current heating of the esr
3) Between F1 and F2 (typically 20 to 100 kHz for the Kemet A72 caps that I use) the voltage derating is, I believe, due to
3.1) an effective increase in the voltage stress on the dielectric due to the slow recovery speed of dielectric absorbtion and
3.2) dielectric heating due to loss tangent

Those are 'engineering' constraints, for safe, reliable continuous operation.

SGTCs have a very short duty cycle (typ. 1% to 5%) so the current handling capability can be up to 10x the continuous rms rating
The voltage rating of the capacitors is for continuous dc, but the capacitors usually have a surge rating of at least 1.5x rated dc voltage.
So,
you could 'engineer' an mmc to never receive more than rated voltage or current,
or as a 'coiler' you can stress your capacitors way beyond that in TC use,
how far can you push the capacitors ?
- that is where it becomes difficult to give honest recommendations.
e.g.
I am sure four strings of 13 series caps is adequate for a 12 kV 30 mA NST
I am fairly confident that three strings of ten series caps is ok
I have used single strings of A.72 caps.

but remember, greater than 6n7 would get the most from the NST.
Uspring
Sat Jul 15 2017, 04:02PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
klugesmith wrote:
There's an elephant in the room, about which I claim no expertise. Those 942C20S22K-F's are nominally 2000 volt devices. That's the DC rating; AC rating is only 500 volts.
An explanation is here. Link2 It shows, why the AC rating isn't proportional to the DC rating but lacks an answer about the frequency dependence.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: