All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How to measure REALLY the voltages of Tesla coils?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Physikfan
Sun Jul 09 2017, 01:13PM Print
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
Hello Tesla friends

Please, what methods are there to measure REALLY the voltages of Tesla coils?
Patric
Sun Jul 09 2017, 04:29PM
Patric Registered Member #2899 Joined: Wed Jun 02 2010, 06:31PM
The 'Wet finger method'?
Mr.Warwickshire
Sun Jul 09 2017, 06:30PM
Mr.Warwickshire Registered Member #61674 Joined: Mon Jul 03 2017, 04:01AM
You can calculate the voltage output of a Tesla coil by calculating the losses of the secondary, and knowing that the energy in the secondary's capacitance is NO larger than the energy in the primary's capacitance. This should give an estimate of the output if the coil you are calculating it for is well tuned/optimal. Here's a link which could help.
Link2
Physikfan
Mon Jul 10 2017, 01:15PM
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
Hi Patric and Mr.Warwickshire

The question is how close to the truth will you come with only calculating Tesla coil voltages?

How much of the energy of your primary circuit you will get REALLY into the secondary coil,
loose coupling, resonance effects, and so on..

Doing measurements, it would be interesting to see how much effort would be meaningful with nearly unlimited financial resources?

There are a lot of problems:
1. The ohmic load plus the stray capacitances of the voltage dividers on the "probe head", for example 500 kV.
2. Although it would be possible to measure with frequency-compensated voltage dividers with different resistive loads, 10 GOhm, 100 GOhm, 1 TOhm and with different stray capacitances,
3. you will have to consider that you are moving along a resonance curve, also with loose coupling.
4. All this makes linear extrapolations to 1000 TOhm load and almost zero picofarad stray capacitance of a hypothetic measuring head very difficult, not to say, almost impossible.

I'm looking forward to your answers.
Finn Hammer
Mon Jul 10 2017, 01:32PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Physikfan,

You can try to search for Marco Denicolai, from Finland.
He constructed a water resistor to mount axially oriented, above his large Thor tesla coil. This was more than 10 years ago. Perhaps his results are still online.
He was on the Pupman list server at the time.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
hen918
Mon Jul 10 2017, 02:35PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Physikfan,

You can try to search for Marco Denicolai, from Finland.
He constructed a water resistor to mount axially oriented, above his large Thor tesla coil. This was more than 10 years ago. Perhaps his results are still online.
He was on the Pupman list server at the time.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

I found it: Link2
DerAlbi
Mon Jul 10 2017, 05:27PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
The problem with a TC is that its voltage is highly load dependent. A very low power TC without any sparks ignited will have the highest resonant peaking effect. As soon as sparks arise the voltage breaks down a lot.
I you want to measure it, i think one option could be to place two plates within the far field of the TC with different distances. The capacitive coupled voltages will differ from plate to plate and by that you can estimate the V/m field strength between them.. and by that maybe guess the source voltage. But you need an accurate 3D FEM model of the setup to account for all effects of the surroundings.
Another thing is using a multiphysics FEM solver. Doable in Comsol for example.. but well... you said infinite budget, right? cheesey
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Jul 11 2017, 12:44AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
okay so you need to know a couple of things:

1. DC resistance
2. AC resistance at Fo of course
3. The impedance of the coil

Then if you are running the coil for a long time, you insert an RF ammeter at the base of the coil (I never got around to this but I have several meters), and by getting the "average" of your data set you can determine the RMS output voltage of your coil.

RF ammeters are good RMS converters for current because they map DC current to RF current and are broadband from DC to 10 MHz.

I was trying to get to this point with my goals, but I got tired of researching TC's and basically gave up/ lost interest.

I was also going to test this small scale to verify proof-of-concept but never got that far.
Uspring
Tue Jul 11 2017, 08:46AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
You could use an antenna, as DerAlbi wrote. It can be calibrated by applying a known (low) voltage to the top. An arc will severely distort the electric field around the toroid and introduce errors in the measurement. So it's best to keep the arcs as far away from the antenna as feasible. Attaching a wire of the size of the arc during calibration might help.

Another way is measuring the current between the secondary top winding and the top load and also between the top load and the breakout point. The difference is the current going into the top load only. If you know the capacitance of the top load, you can calculate its voltage. I've described this here: Link2
nzoomed
Tue Jul 11 2017, 11:48AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
All that calculus makes absolutely no sense to me! lol
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: