All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Atlas Milling Machine refurbishment and upgrade

Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Jul 09 2017, 04:48AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Okay, so I have a little mill because I have a little garage, and we have to put our cars in at night so space is limited, otherwise I would have an enormous Bridgeport or a Tree.

That being said, I am on a path that I hope is productive and proves to be a good idea.

So this is a small machine and it can do small jobs, but it has some real limitations, and the power feed is a big one. The power feed on this machine is too fast, and I want to preserve horizontal operation because it powers the table power feed, and i hope to hob gears in the future. The idea here is to increase the power to the head unit and preserve the machine as much as possible.

I got the machine with the motor I am re-using, so that was a freebie, and I purchased the vertical head from the machine shop website, but I was still getting some slip from the belt system that normally drives the Atlas, and the bearings tend to get a bit hot after prolonged use, and there are a host of other issues as well.

My goal is to reduce the complexity of the drive train, preserve the machine, and I think this works out fairly well. I was looking at DC motors, but I already had this one like I said, and this was a cost effective use of what I had on hand.

I fabricated the brackets with the mill, did the boring operation to get the large holes (scary as hell to boot!), milled the linear bearings, everything. Now the project is wrapping-up with the wiring of the oil pump, and a wiring overhaul with oil resistant wire and it's really shaping up. Still needs a proper paint job, but that will have to be another day, just getting to this point was a huge hurdle.

In a few days I will have some Buna tubing for the oil circulation path, and hopefully I can get the flood coolant setup finished out to make this a really neat capable machine.

cheers.

009f

014f

015f

016f

017f

018f

013f

019f

020f

003f

004f

001f

002f
paris
Wed Jul 12 2017, 11:33PM
paris Registered Member #3042 Joined: Wed Jul 28 2010, 12:36AM
is it just me or that thing cool ? I saw a site ages ago , a guy was regrinding te fork neck bearing races and milling parts . this is vintage bicycles . theres also another guy who built a complete Excelsior motorcycle , mind blowing the level of talent
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Jul 13 2017, 03:00AM
I'm no where near that talented, but I am itching to give it a wrinkle coat paint job or hammer-tone!!!

I'm trying to get the flood coolant parts together at the moment.
paris
Sat Jul 22 2017, 03:59AM
just for some thing to look see :0)

Link2
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Jul 23 2017, 02:17PM
Okay so I am completely losing my mind.

I thought it would be nice to have a second speed on the mill right? Only one problem, they don't make 2.5" pulleys with a 1" bore, SO I MADE ONE!
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAH! I must have "metal fever" or something now.

The trouble is I ran out of spindle length to bolt this dude on, I was planning on boring the bottom portion of the pulley to give me more room on the spindle, and I decoratively recessed the smaller pulley for the nut, but I am only going to have ~2 threads clamping the spindle together and that is not sufficient.

So I spent all day yesterday turning a lovely piece of trash. It should make a nice paper weight.

Parting-off is a horrendous process, the parting tools are very finicky and tend to cause all kinds of problems.

If I am going to attempt this again, I will have to either make a single 2.5" pulley, or a cone out of steel which is not going to be fun. Turning steel on a lathe means you get to receive a lot of burns as the chips fall right into your left hand on the apron travel hand wheel.

If I go for steel, and what I have in mind, I'm going to have to buy a lot of carbide tooling, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that challenge just yet.

007f

008f

009f

010f
paris
Sun Jul 23 2017, 08:54PM
would it work if you had one of those split pulleys with the spacer plates in the middle ? old fan belt design .
NZ , about a month ago there was a 741 indian gear box for sale that had been used on a drill press = 3 speed hand change , funny but obviously worked , now its going back on a bike
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Jul 23 2017, 10:34PM
I was looking at an adjustable pulley, but they only go down to like 2.9" with a 1" bore. It's that large spindle bore that is the main problem here.

I'm going to attempt to make a threaded sheave to go on the spindle as an intermediate step, and then machine a cone pulley to mate to the sheave. Not sure if that will work here, but it might be better then scrapping a one piece part that has to have lots of machining.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: