Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Demagnetisation of ferrite magnets

Move Thread LAN_403
Cristian
Wed Jun 21 2017, 05:22AM
Cristian Registered Member #61486 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2017, 01:09AM
Hi!
I'm not able to find big ferrite cores in my country (Chile) and now import of other country is not an option, so i'm courious if it's posible to demagnetise the ferrite magnets (for example, heating up to the courie point) and use it as normal ferrite core.

I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLSLdd3Q5w

Testing the heating in neodimiun magnets, when they glow red, they lose its magnetics propieties, and can't return if you try to use a coil to that.

But i'm not sure if that lost of magnetics properties is permanent. So, you can't no longer use as magnet and still like ferrite core?, or it's mean that it's internal composition changed and can't be use neither like a magnet nor like a normal ferrite core ?

Here is the biggest ferrite core that i have found until now, and a ferrite magnet that i want as core

1498022402 61486 FT0 Img 20170621 0116003241

Thanks for help!
johnf
Wed Jun 21 2017, 06:33AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
no
Even demagnetised magnets do not have the same properties of power ferrites.
To get some for your projects you need to find an aircon company and befriend them.
Modern aircon (inverter type) have a host of good ferrite cores in the control electronics.
Other good things include solid state motor drives again a good source of unobtainium
Dr. Slack
Wed Jun 21 2017, 12:47PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
The key difference is that transformer ferrites are 'soft', they have a small hysteresis loop, the smaller the better, and a lot of research goes into making it small, smallest loop materials command a premium price. Small loop is necessary as the energy lost per cycle of magnetisation appears as heat in the core.

Magnet ferrites are 'hard', they have a very large area hysteresis loop, the bigger the better, and a lot of research goes into making them big, big loop materials command a premium price. Big loop is necessary so that they continue to generate a magnetic field, even in the face of a large demagnetisation field. Having demagnetised a ferrite magnet, it's possible to remagnetise it again. The largest loop materials will take the most energy to remagnetise.
kimbomba
Thu Jun 22 2017, 04:06AM
kimbomba Registered Member #3854 Joined: Fri Apr 29 2011, 03:45AM
One of the best answers I've read in the forum
Dr. Slack wrote ...

The key difference is that transformer ferrites are 'soft', they have a small hysteresis loop, the smaller the better, and a lot of research goes into making it small, smallest loop materials command a premium price. Small loop is necessary as the energy lost per cycle of magnetisation appears as heat in the core.

Magnet ferrites are 'hard', they have a very large area hysteresis loop, the bigger the better, and a lot of research goes into making them big, big loop materials command a premium price. Big loop is necessary so that they continue to generate a magnetic field, even in the face of a large demagnetisation field. Having demagnetised a ferrite magnet, it's possible to remagnetise it again. The largest loop materials will take the most energy to remagnetise.
klugesmith
Thu Jun 22 2017, 05:57PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
My words exactly. Kimbomba beat me to it. Hats off to Dr Slack.

Back to OP.
Both classes of ferrite will be demagnetised by a temperature excursion above the curie point. As Dr Slack said, back at room temperature they will be just as softly or hardly magnetisable as before.

At some point, excess temperature and time will make permanent changes to the material properties. We can be sure the changes are not in a desirable direction. Otherwise they would be made at the ferrite factory, in a deliberate heat treatment process.

OP seeks a change that would generally be undesirable. But I agree with Dr Slack: it's hard to imagine a permanent magnet ferrite composition becoming magnetically soft enough to be good for transformers.

Among permanent magnet materials, NdFeB magnets have the widest BH loops and the lowest curie points of all. It makes the video demonstration (link in OP) very easy -- they start temporarily losing magnetic hardness long before the Curie point. It's one reason some electric motors use samarium-cobalt instead of NIB.
Cristian
Thu Jun 22 2017, 08:38PM
Cristian Registered Member #61486 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2017, 01:09AM
Thanks to all, I had not thought about the BH curves and the specific use of both types of ferrites

I'll try to scavenge some electronics and try to be lucky to find ferrite cores

I want to make an induction heater with resonance in series, so I need a coupling transformer with the inner diameter biger than the working coil pipe (approximately 7 mm in diameter). Perhaps one possibility is to use the flyback ferrite core, but the disadvantage is that between the core and the pipe will be a large space, and that could affect the coupling factor

it would works?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: