All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Soil pH measurement and amendment

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Mon Jun 12 2017, 07:01PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Our Dawn Redwood tree (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) has outgrown its 1-gallon plastic pot. We aren't sure where it belongs in the ground, so it's about to move into a nominal 35-cm plastic pot. It's known as an acid-loving plant (pH 5.0 would not be too low), and soil dug up around here has measured pH around 7.0 or 7.5.

Who here is good with soil pH testing conventions? My kit from the hardware store comes with a clear plastic cuvette. You put in soil up to the line at about 1 cm^3. Is that packed or loose? Then you add some powder (entire contents of one gel cap), and water up to the line at about 5 cm^3. Mix, let the particulates settle, and read the color. Not sure if the powder has anything besides indicator dyes and inert filler.
1497292809 2099 FT0 Pht Rapitest

I saved the juice after cooking some red cabbage (Oma called it Rotkohl) for dinner. Counted drops of vinegar and ammonia to toggle its color; then left the rest in fridge until mold grew on it.

Later, at the science store, I got a small bottle of Methyl Red and a pack of three-bar pH test strips. The color-matching card for ph 7 to 10 is on the other side of the box.
1497293213 2099 FT0 Ph Strips

For those I've been using a glass test tube, with soil/water ratio similar to that in the Luster Leaf kit.
I know how the concentrations of H+ and OH- work (like electron and hole densities in solid silicon). But it's been many decades since I knew how to be quantitative about strong and weak acids, buffers, etc.

The amending of soil for agriculture has been studied since prehistoric times. It's been quantitative, in pH terms, since the 19th century. For acidification, some suggested additives are elemental sulfur, aluminum sulfate, and ammonium sulfate. Quantities are often expressed as equivalent weights of straight S. Which, apparently, slowly changes to sulfate through microbial action.

To avoid having to wait, or to pick a cation, I have used sulfuric acid. For example: 15 ml of drain opening fluid in 200 to 400 ml of water, used to dampen 2 coffee cans full of coarsely sifted soil, is not quite enough. Anybody got practical wisdom to offer here?
Thanks!
2Spoons
Tue Jun 13 2017, 12:38AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Peat and fresh compost can be quite acidic. I'd use one or both of those as the basis for an acid loving container plant. Ongoing breakdown of organic matter produces humic acid, which will help maintain pH. Mineral additives like sulfuric acid get washed out of a pot fairly quickly.
johnf
Tue Jun 13 2017, 06:58PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
usually soil from under pine trees is very acidic
rikkitikkitavi
Mon Aug 28 2017, 05:28AM
rikkitikkitavi Registered Member #57278 Joined: Wed Sept 16 2015, 11:33AM
I wouldnt recommend using mineral acids etc. They wash put immediatemy, give a pH shock and will deplete the buffer capacity of the soil.

Use peat or similar soil improvers. I used that for my blueberry plants even if I spread limestone on my lawn just next to it to raise pH.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: