All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC Blowing Mosfets

Move Thread LAN_403
Zach240sx
Tue May 23 2017, 08:34AM
Zach240sx Registered Member #61539 Joined: Wed Mar 29 2017, 05:34AM
Hey there,

So this is my first post, HEEELLLLOOOO!!!!

I will get more in depth on this tomorrow when I have more time to wright. I have a full bridge setup I just made, I have ran it on a couple small power supplies. 20v 90W laptop charger, 28v 2a transformer. It works quite well. Now I don't have a variac to step up mains slowly(USA 120vac). What I came up with was a CFL LED 150watt dimmer. I first just tested its output voltage after rectifying and using a light bulb for load. I got it down to 18v Sweet!!! So I went ahead and tested it. First try, I got light up right away cheesey . Of course me being to excited I started to turn it up and up. Totally spaced I had a 120watt halogen for load...oops... I meant to lower the crap out of that once I established my first light. So It fried the dimmer along with two Mosfets(1 High and low side)... sad

Well I fixed that, So second try... I get it to light up but only for 5-6 seconds and it dies, dimmer starts to hum. I Look all through my circuit and realized when I changed my lower current fast switching diodes for higher current ones I plugged one of the diodes and drain output one bread board pin off(I did this before the first test) So My first light was on a screwed up half bridge. Plugged that in correctly, replaced the Mosfets on the other sides high and low side. So third try, This time still with 120w bulb just to start, I turn it on and wow way better then the first light, probably 4 inch streamers with dimmer all the way down.(Full bridge definitely working now) I shut it off and try a forth time, Lights up again... Sweet!!! so before anything else happens i turn it off grab my phone for video, set it up, turn it on ....nothing, I also hear a hum. Its the dimmer, popped a high and low side Fet again!!!!

So the dimmer fried most likely do to the 120watt halogen, wile trying to up the current. the fets must be getting a surge when I power off. Can someone help me with this. I drew a quick diagram of my half bridge. Could this be a voltage spike causing gates to pop over 20v? do I need zeners? i have a bunch of 15v. The dimmer is just in between the mains and rectifier.

Thanks guys

1495528353 61539 FT0 Sstc 3
Zach240sx
Wed May 24 2017, 04:13AM
Zach240sx Registered Member #61539 Joined: Wed Mar 29 2017, 05:34AM
Okay I tried putting two 15v zeners in series, anode to anode, from gate to source, on each mosfet. Didn't help, toasted another 2. I have two heat sinks with two fets on each, one high, one low. It is set up where the gdt turns on one high on one heat sink and one low on the other. So each heat sink only has one fet on at a time. Weird thing is, i fry a high and low side but ones on the same heat sink. Those which turn on opposite of each other. Hmmmm. So I'm stuck now. Any help would be great thanks!!
wikus
Tue May 30 2017, 06:34PM
wikus Registered Member #58198 Joined: Sun Dec 27 2015, 11:15AM
Hi Zach what mosfet's are you using?. Have you got a oscilloscope? On a full bridge it is very important the get the phasing right from the GDT. Post some pictures, maybe we can help more.

wikus
Tue May 30 2017, 06:45PM
wikus Registered Member #58198 Joined: Sun Dec 27 2015, 11:15AM
Hi Zack do your self a favour and check out Kaizer Power electronics http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/tesla-coils/kaizer-sstc-iii/ Build this first. you cant go wrong.
Wikus

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: