Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Maximise X-ray tube life

Move Thread LAN_403
aztec
Sat May 20 2017, 01:36PM
aztec Registered Member #61568 Joined: Sat Apr 15 2017, 05:09PM
Hello 4hv users, new guy here.
I've been experimenting with x-rays for some time, but recently i dug up an interesting tube from my collection, a Russian microfocus tube called BS7.
I made a few nice pictures with it, but because of its extremely low power rating the exposures take several minutes and i started to worry for its life.
Whats the best way to use something like this, close to the max rating to keep the exposures short as possible, or use lower current to reduce load on the target but then the filament may burn out faster?

Proud Mary
Sat May 20 2017, 11:45PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Hello Mr Aztec,

I've had two Svetlana BS-7 microfocus transmission target tubes for about five years and both are still going strong.

I don't have the data sheet right in front of me, but the key parameters from memory are these:

Va = 4kV minimum, 15 kV absolute max for the Mk1 model, and 10kV for the Mk. 2.

Anode dissipation = 20mW

Vf= 0.4V minimum to 1.5V maximum
If = 1.5A. max

I recall a couple of cases online where people have got hold of BS-7s and destroyed them that same day by ignoring the parameters given in the data sheet.

The instructions for setting up the tube properly, including the conditioning process, are quite involved and I don't want to spend a few hours remembering them and typing them all out if not needed.

Anyway, to set it up properly you will need a 50μA moving coil meter to measure the anode current, a 3A moving iron meter (or 1A etc meter that you can shunt out to cover 0 - 2A) to measure the filament current, and a variable voltage supply 0 -3V (or so) to power the filament.

Let us assume that you have gone through the conditioning process (which takes some hours) and the tube has passed A OK.

You are now ready to set up for experiment!

You hear that 9kV would be good for a first attempt at imaging a fly's wing. Power input must not exceed a nominal 20mW, so using Ohm's Law we see that this will correspond to an anode current of 2.2μA.

Set anode voltage to 9kV.
Set filament current to 0A.
Slowly increase filament voltage until anode current is 2.2μA.
Your tube is now in correct operation at the minimum end of its safe operating area.
Without adjusting any other controls, you may increase the filament voltage slowly until the anode current reaches 5μA, which Svetlana give as the top end of the safe operating area. So long as you stay within the tube's safe operating area, it will run continuously for tens of hours without over-heating. .
(Svetlana say the minimum operational life of the tube is 400 hrs)

Some people may be surprised at the tiny amounts of power used by this device. It was originally designed for use in automated analytical laboratories aboard the Russian Lunakhod lunar rovers of 1969 - 1977 where power conservation was of the utmost.

Remember this is a microfocus tube. This means that immediately in front of the beryllium exit window, the entire output of the tube is concentrated in a dot less than 1mm across. If you scale this up in terms of kilowatts per square metre, you'll see that at the micro scale the tiny BS-7 can frighten off humungous tubes and their frightening power supplies.

Now think about the tube's beam divergence of less than 5° - from the very very rough geometry inside my head, this looks to mean that at one foot from the tube, your X-ray spot will be about one inch across.

I should have said 'those x-rays that can fight their way through one foot of air at atmospheric pressure for a distance of one foot' - because most of them won't make it. Using an old rule of thumb, two thirds of the output of an x-ray tube is in the lowest one third of energy distribution. If you have 10kV on the anode, two thirds of the x-ray output photons will have energies of 3.3keV and less - and having just worn themselves out getting through the beryllium exit window, the majority of these will give up the ghost after traveling from one devastating collision toanother, a total train wreck after just one or two centimetres.

But as a finale, let's get back to the fly's wing. Suppose you mount it 10mm in front of the exit window of your micro-focus tube where the focal spot is (notionally) 1mm diameter. At a distance of, say, 250mm, you find that beam divergence has turned your 1mm spot into a spot of, say, 25mm across. The spot has been magnified, that is, the spot and the information it contained since passing through the fly's wing has been magnified. You have made a simple x-ray microscope.

The best thing about BS-7 is that you can learn a very great deal from it, a thousand times more than producing just one more crappy radiograph of yawning mobile phones.

Have fun! cheesey

aztec
Sun May 21 2017, 06:46AM
aztec Registered Member #61568 Joined: Sat Apr 15 2017, 05:09PM
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer!

I've received the data sheet for the tube when i got it several years ago, but I wasn't able to decipher much more than the voltage and the current from it.
Well i didn't follow any break-in procedure, I just hooked it up to a Russian 13kv night vision power supply and slowly ramped up the filament until i measured 1.5uA current.
The 5° beam is interesting, my tube seems to cover the 35mm dental film at 60mm distance, the edges are less sharp but still usable.
I didn't had success with extreme enlargements, if there isn't enough contrast inside the small magnified part then the result is useless.
The real limitation is the film, i wrap into tinfoil but it reduces contrast and intensity somewhat.
I tried image intensifier too, but the resolution was pretty bad.
Here are a few examples, the pictures are edited
1495349117 61568 FT179845 Arn00540 800px

1495349117 61568 FT179845 Raw0029 800x

1495349117 61568 FT179845 Arn00616 800px
Proud Mary
Mon May 22 2017, 06:50PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Svetlana BS-7 is a very interesting X-ray source and we are both lucky to have one.

It is the only tube I know of that was designed to work with as little as 4kV on the anode. I operate mine directly from a rectified 5kV-0-5kV neon sign transformer. In the European Union, ionising radiation devices - in this case, X-ray tubes - are not regulated or controlled by law when they operate with a potential difference of less than 5 kV across them - what could be simpler?

It's a strange fact that while there are many recent scientific papers on very low energy X-rays - like those produced by BS-7 - there is almost no interest among amateur scientists and hobbyists who always want more and more kilovolts to cook their DNA with :)

Edit added later: I have an idea for the perfect use of Ultra Low Energy Radiography - the imaging of bubbles - extremely thin layers of liquid separated by a gas. You could have bubbles consisting of liquid electrolyte through which a current is passing, bubbles of a dissolved chemical that react with chemicals dissolved in another bubble, different bubbles for different gases, dissolved radionuclides, the possibilities are endless.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: