Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Can the feedback and primary and secondary coils be nested in concentric circles in a vttc?

Move Thread LAN_403
SpaceWyzard
Thu May 18 2017, 12:25AM
SpaceWyzard Registered Member #2318 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2009, 01:22AM
Just wondering if this would be a good idea to try out if there is some reason this wouldn't work. I'm thinking of a 2" diameter secondary coil, with a 5 inch primary coil at its base, and instead of placing the feedback coil above or below the primary, actually putting it on a larger 6" form directly outside the primary. Has anyone here tried this before?
Proud Mary
Thu May 18 2017, 12:59AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
You raise an interesting point, Mr Duroo, because Nikolai Tesla designed a number of resonant RF HV transformers with quite different topologies, though today people usually only think of the vertical secondary with the primary wound around the bottom as being 'a Tesla coil.'

As for your specific question about the feedback winding, the coupling coefficient must be sufficient to deliver sufficient in-phase voltage to the grid to maintain oscillation.

Too little, and oscillation will die out; too much and the valve may 'squegg' - cyclically switch itself on and off at some quite low frequency, or it may enter some chaotic oscillatory mode whose nature we hardly dare guess at.
johnf
Thu May 18 2017, 09:50AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
This depends if you want to control with the primary parameters or the secondary parameters.
magnetics tend to invoke the inverse cube law instead of the light and RF inverse square law
Sulaiman
Thu May 18 2017, 02:10PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

You raise an interesting point, Mr Duroo, because Nikolai Tesla designed a number of resonant RF HV transformers with quite different topologies, though today people usually only think of the vertical secondary with the primary wound around the bottom as being 'a Tesla coil.'

Briefly, a part of my career (?) included taking patents owned by my employer,
and thinking up ways to break the patent so that my employer could patent those too,
which makes me suspect that some of the patents (e.g. bi-filar primary)
are more to exclude imitators than beneficial innovations, of little real value.
(how many US patents for an improved or novel mousetrap ?)
Proud Mary
Thu May 18 2017, 08:41PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Oh yes, Tesla was very quick to patent, and I'm sure would have put up these anticipatory prophylactic blocks - I can't think what to call them! - as you suggest.

My knowledge of TC variants is really only what I can recall from enjoyable browsing of Victorian scientific illustrations and engineering drawings.

I recall one horizontal push-pull device where the centrally positioned primary was located inside the tube around which the secondary was wound.

When looking at antique apparatus and vintage experiments I always find myself hoping that perhaps the science had moved too fast, that the pressure to move on with new research was so great that potential avenues of discovery were overlooked and have remained undiscovered to this day - which I am sure must happen. Mostly I am envious of the simplicity of the equipment with which revolutionary discoveries were made in the early years of the last century, equipment so simple that even someone with only very modest abilities like myself could construct it with simple tools - the triode valve, Cockcroft & Walton's particle accelerator, X-ray crystallography, Wilson's cloud chamber, the radio telescope, the junction diode - and so on. But of course these illustrious thinkers had to think of these things first! :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: