All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

To all electronic enthusiasts!

Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Wed May 17 2017, 07:09AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
This is a post that I wrote on facebook, but I would like to ask that you share this with your friends on facebook or other social media, feel free to rewrite or link to this thread, what I want out is the statement about saving information.

I kindly ask you all, that you carefully consider and think about all the websites you have used to learn about electronics, all the forums you have trawled through for information and the vast amount of videos on youtube that has helped you understand and solve a problem.

This information only exists because there are people wanting to let the information live on, from user to user, open platforms like personal websites and forums are indexed and made searchable by almost any search engine on the internet. Imagine if all you ever found on google was closed facebook profiles and no information.

This is a circle of information sharing that has been broken, the eco system of knowledge sharing is dying with social media.

Only uploading pictures of your experiment with a short sentence or "science!" is destroying the electronics hobby, if you value what you have learned on the internet, then give it back to the internet, make your own website or, less time consuming, write a good long thread on a forum about the technical issues you had and how it was solved.

Do not worry about if you think that your english is not good enough, do not fear that you make yourself look inexperienced, so would I in many fields of science and there is no way that I master every aspect of electronics. Ask, Learn and Help each other!

There is a generation gap right now, 20 years ago everyone shared their knowledge on mailing lists or had a html website, next leap came with the blogs where focus could be moved to creating content and not maintaining code, but with social media, all control, history and indexing is gone. There is no information left for the future generations, because it is all posted on closed social media groups. Content is mixed, unorganized and for the most lost for the user after a couple of weeks, way down the stream.

Fight the loss of knowledge! Make a website or post on a forum! Only use social media to link to your website/forum post. This is the only way for the information to live on.

I hope you will share this call to arms with like minded electronics interested people.

Kind regards
Mads Barnkob
Administrator of Link2
Author of Link2
Moderator of Link2
User of eevblog.com forum and diyaudio.com forum
Sulaiman
Wed May 17 2017, 02:07PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I like the idea of spreading knowledge and especially help
but you should not worry too much
I grew up when information could be received (books, periodicals, tv, radio, school ..)
but not easily replied to or queried,
and from that, we're here :)

I suspect that the greatest obstacle to information dissemination is commercial secrecy.

If you're really concerned ... backup Wikipedia amazed
Proud Mary
Wed May 17 2017, 05:36PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I suspect that the greatest obstacle to information dissemination is commercial secrecy.

And the pay walls on peer reviewed journals.
hen918
Wed May 17 2017, 05:43PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Sulaiman wrote ...

Yeah, for students, or those in academia, this isn't an issue. But I can see it as being a big problem for those of us who aren't running up a huge debt :)
Carbon_Rod
Wed May 17 2017, 06:20PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Sulaiman wrote ...

Try here:
Link2

wink
Mads Barnkob
Fri May 19 2017, 06:06AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
It was first and foremost the amateur data exchange that I am worried about, books and peer reviewed journals is not going to disappear anytime soon, but if we look at the progress in Tesla coil development, that is about 100% amateur driven :)
Carbon_Rod
Fri May 19 2017, 07:33AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

It was first and foremost the amateur data exchange that I am worried about, books and peer reviewed journals is not going to disappear anytime soon, but if we look at the progress in Tesla coil development, that is about 100% amateur driven :)

Indeed, the "Fahrenheit 451" protocol is in effect for all of science these days...
wink

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: