All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Help with a HV source for X-Rays

Move Thread LAN_403
Neukyhm
Thu May 11 2017, 04:59PM
Neukyhm Registered Member #57520 Joined: Thu Oct 15 2015, 11:21PM
Hi again, 4hv users. I need help with a 70KV power supply I will build soon. The problem is that the cathode goes to the heated filament of the tube so x-rays are made. If I do this, I will have to build a small isolation transformer for the filament that runs with 2.5-3V. I will also have to isolate the Cockroft Walton multiplier and tube anode with epoxy, see diagram:

(Note: the multiplier cathode goes from the beginning of the multiplier of course, I have drawn it wrong, corrected in next diagram)

1494521278 57520 FT0 Fullsizerender

(Note: that resistor between filament and grid is required so emision won't be very high)

But I asked for advice to the tube manufacturer and they said that if I ground the cathode, I will only have to isolate the multiplier and anode. This would be great because it means that I would be able to run the filament with any DC source, isolated or not, because the filament is connected to the cathode and this would be at 0V. See picture where I have added grounds.

1494521472 57520 FT0 Fullsizerender 1

I have experience in HV and I have already built a X-Ray machine, but this "grounding method" is new to me, I don't even know if those grounds are well placed. So 4HV users that are more experienced, please give me any advice you have.
Sulaiman
Thu May 11 2017, 05:51PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
the thing to consider is anode cooling if at eht
Neukyhm
Thu May 11 2017, 06:44PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

the thing to consider is anode cooling if at eht
No idea what you mean with "eht", english is not my first language.
johnf
Thu May 11 2017, 07:00PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
EHT = extra high tension = extra high voltage
teravolt
Thu May 11 2017, 08:07PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
have you thought about using a small marx to give pulsed ex-rays
Neukyhm
Thu May 11 2017, 08:44PM
teravolt wrote ...

have you thought about using a small marx to give pulsed ex-rays
Yes but I'm not looking for pulsed x-rays. Btw the tube is a CEI OX/70-G4 and I will use it at about 120W, I don't expect the cooling to be a problem here.

I want to build a C-W multiplier like CEI has: Link2
but I'm not sure how I have to connect grounds, I mean, that square wave is coming from arduino, is it safe to connect arduino, primary coil and C-W multiplier grounds all together? This is the way that CEI uses, and it is the best since you don't need insulation on cathode's side because it's grounded and at 0 volts.
ScotchTapeLord
Mon May 15 2017, 11:38AM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
What Sulaiman was talking about was having to float your anode cooling system at high voltage. This can be more complicated than floating a filament. How do you plan to cool your anode?
Proud Mary
Mon May 15 2017, 07:12PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Rechargeable batteries are a very simple, practical, and reliable, way of implementing a floating heater or filament supply.

You would in any case want to start the heaters in a standby mode before applying EHT to avoid damaging the tube, so you can simply switch your batteries into the heater with a little local switch - with battery and switch close to the tube - before you start the High Voltage supply.

If you want to control the heater current as a means of controlling the tube current, you can just use a high wattage variable resistor, one of the big ceramic ones, or an old fashioned rheostat.

Since most tubes need filament supplies between 1V - 4V you can also make this up out of combinations of rechargeable cells, for example:

1.2V - NiCd
2V - Pb-acid
2.4V - 2*NiCd
3.2V NiCd + Pb-acid
3.6V 3*NiCd or Li
4V - 2*Pb-acid

Take care you choose cells with sufficient Ah capacity, as your tube current will start to fall with the filament voltage, so the anode voltage will rise (unless regulated) with a risk of flash over - also if the filament voltage falls, causing the anode voltage to rise, the tube will produce fewer but harder rays. If the filament voltage fails completely, the tube may go into field emission mode, losing focus, and emitting x-rays in unpredictable directions.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: