All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla coil earthing

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Gregary Boyles
Fri May 05 2017, 05:30PM Print
Gregary Boyles Registered Member #9039 Joined: Wed Dec 26 2012, 03:31PM
What is likely to be the effect if I was ti implement a a radial counterpoise ground plain on a circle of artificial grass and connect that ground to a spike in close proximity to a spike coming off my torroid?

Compared to connecting that radial ground plain to a metal spike driven into damp earth to a depth of about 50cm?
Sulaiman
Sat May 06 2017, 09:53AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
It would behave as if the radials were a real earth provided that the capacitance of the counterpoise radials is many times greater than the topload capacitance.
If the radials capacitance is low it will still work but pri-sec flashovers may occur due to the voltage at the bottom of the secondary.
Gregary Boyles
Sun May 07 2017, 03:37AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

It would behave as if the radials were a real earth provided that the capacitance of the counterpoise radials is many times greater than the topload capacitance.
If the radials capacitance is low it will still work but pri-sec flashovers may occur due to the voltage at the bottom of the secondary.

I am thinking a more practical way would be to obtain a roll of 1.2m high chicken wire and unroll it to form a cylinder of diameter about 3 times the height of my coil.

This would be far more convenient that trying to flatten chicken wire on the ground or attach lengths of copper wire to a circle of artificial grass.

How would you know if the capacitance of such an arrangement is many times greater than the top load? Not easily I suspect.

Perhaps it is better to connect my cylinder of chicken wire to an earth rod.
Dr. Slack
Sun May 07 2017, 05:04AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
do a sketch of what you intend, and stop obsessing about the earth rod. A counterpoise under the coil is perfectly acceptable.
Sulaiman
Sun May 07 2017, 06:50AM
My favourite pseudo-earth was a couple of metres of aluminium cooking foil laid on soil or floor.&
Gregary Boyles
Sun May 07 2017, 05:46PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

do a sketch of what you intend, and stop obsessing about the earth rod. A counterpoise under the coil is perfectly acceptable.
Look I am trying to piece together how exactly to do it properly to get decent arcs from reading what other have done.

It has not been clear to me at all as to which method is more effective or more appropriate.

Well then from what you have said I have simply cut out some wire mesh to fit over my circle of fake grass.

I will connect the mesh to a vertical steel rod for the streamers to arc across to from my top load.

I will test this setup in this week and post some photos of the results.
Gregary Boyles
Mon May 08 2017, 11:46PM
Is this likely to be an adequately large counterpoise ground?

1494287154 9039 FT179604 Tesla
Sulaiman
Tue May 09 2017, 12:14AM
yes
Gregary Boyles
Tue May 09 2017, 12:22AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

yes

Some one should create a detailed page on this particular aspect of Tesla coils including specifics on areas appropriate to secondary coils sizes, materials, ground rod versus counterpoise pros and cons,......

I have only manged to find bits and pieces and general info on the subject but nothing really that gave me the confidence to say yes I will create my ground that way.

If this sort of earth is appropriate for my tesla coil then what would it take to make this type of earth inappropriate in my situation and an embedded earth rod preferable?
Dr. Slack
Tue May 09 2017, 05:32AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
That counterpoise looks great.

From a connector somewhere on that mesh, run a wire to the bottom of your secondary, or the bottom of the secondary I sense current transformer, and to your TC power supply mains ground. If you are going to operate the TC in that position, then a radial out to your garage door would be good. Are there any other significant areas of conductor that either might get hit by streamers or present a large capacitance to the topload (like steel joists above our head out of shot)? If so, run a radial to them as well.

Thinking about a detailed page, maybe three illustrations would do it. On one extreme, a TC operating in the middle of a field, with secondary bottom connected to the ground. On the other, operating inside a Faraday cage, with secondary bottom connected to the floor of the cage. Then a third showing how any real situation is usually somewhere between the two. But always, the plan is to get the current back from things that are capacitively coupled to the topload back to the secondary bottom terminal, without undue inductance, and without producing inadvertent large voltages between innocent bystander conductors.

Depending on your operating position, the real earth may, or may not be, a conductor that has significant capacitive coupling to the topload. If it is, then connect to it by the shortest means, whether that's an earth spike, or your mains protective earth. If it isn't, then forget about it.

The nice thing about a counterpoise is that it's an organising principle, as much as anything. It's a cheap and easy to provide terminal that does have much coupling to the topload, and it's in the right position to connect with a short wire to the secondary, and back to the TC PSU ground. You'd connect any arc target to it as well. Then having done that, you look around. What else does the topload see? Garage door? Radial to that.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: