Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HFSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Simone
Mon Apr 24 2017, 10:44AM
Simone Registered Member #61232 Joined: Sat Oct 22 2016, 06:27PM
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm trying to build a HFSSTC following the project of richie burnett (Link2 and from this other guy (here Link2

I think i have enough driving power for the final irfp460 mosfet (i'm probing at the 460 gate)
15hz7s7

...but as i apply power to the drain (i tried with voltage from 15 to 70v DC) i get this

34hswn4 (the probe is again to the gate).

This is the scheme i've followed

Hfcirc

I searched with an air variable capacitor (500pF) the "optimal value" for the unspecified cap (should be someting arounf 330pF) but with no luck.

So... i don't know how to fix this problem...
kilovolt
Wed Apr 26 2017, 09:26AM
kilovolt Registered Member #2018 Joined: Tue Mar 10 2009, 09:56AM
Hello Simone

Welcome to the forum.

The second link is from my page. You should remove the bracket at the end of the link for let it working correctly wink

Your problem can have several different causes. For me it seems your circuit works okay up to the gate of the powerfet, but it looks like your final stage is getting out of the class-e mode when powering it with low voltages. This happens with my coil as well. My coil doesn't work correctly with too low voltage. It needs about 120V. Below that voltage it starts to sizzle angry and the powerfet is getting hot. Have you got an ajustable power supply for your coil?

You may also try to change the coupling between primary and secondary a bit (lower or rise the primary a bit). Sometimes it needs a bit trial and error before working properly.

Best regards
kilovolt
Simone
Wed Apr 26 2017, 11:17AM
Well it's nice to be welcomed directly by you!

I have a transformer with many output so I tried with 100v.but the waveform at the gate is still a mess... Tried with almost any cap value(and with the variable cap too) , I tried varying the turns of the primary but nothing seems to work. Maybe my FET is damaged and I'm losing time but I don't know what else to try

Thank you for your time!
kilovolt
Wed Apr 26 2017, 01:07PM
Simone, what kind of oscillator have you got in your setup? Is it a quartz with fixed frequency or is it a 4046 PLL or something similar with variable frequency? If you've got a quartz, the secondary coil is critical. The resonance frequency of the secondary coil has to be a bit higher than what the actual quartz frequency is, because the flame will lower the frequency a bit and then pulls the coil in tune. If you've got a variable oscillator, it is much easier to find the optimal tuning point.

Best regards
kilovolt
Simone
Wed Apr 26 2017, 01:12PM
Crystal osc + some small transistor then CD4093.. I measured the coil and it resonates at something like 100kHz below (4.21 MHz) the freq of the crystal.
kilovolt
Wed Apr 26 2017, 01:26PM
That may be a problem. I would remove a few windings until the resonant frequency is a bit higher than the crystal oscillator frequency. Together with the arc, it will pull the resonant frequency to the osc.-frequency.

Simone
Thu Apr 27 2017, 09:02AM
I've removed some wire so now the resonant frequency is 100 kHz above the crystal freq. I've also replaced the FET (with a new one) and the waveform at the gate it's changed very much... as soon as i can i'll post some shot. so i think that maybe the previous FET was effectively damaged and the gate driver wasn't properly tuned.

Simone
Fri Apr 28 2017, 12:35PM
Ok.. so.. after changing the FET i've rewound the second GDT to make it work properly and now everything is fine!

So... thank you!

PS : kilovolt, did you try audio modulation?
GeordieBoy
Mon Sept 04 2017, 02:47PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
You ideally want about +/- 15 volts on the gate for good clean Class E switching. If your gate voltage is only just making it to +10V with no B+ applied to the final power stage, the amplifier might go unstable from insufficient drive when you apply B+ to the MOSFET drain. Definitely better to drive it a bit harder.

-Richie,

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: