Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Transformer Primary Gets Hot

Move Thread LAN_403
KeeDx3
Sat Mar 18 2017, 02:42AM
KeeDx3 Registered Member #61435 Joined: Thu Jan 19 2017, 06:46AM
So I have this transformer that was the xenon ignitor module from a cinema projector. The specs are:

.200KVA
10,000V

203 Zpshwrclvjn

It draws a nice arc, but after using it to run a Jacob's Ladder for 15-20 seconds, I noticed that the primary side was very warm. I would think that after a few minutes, it would overheat and open-circuit.

I guess my question is; do I need to current-limit this? If so, how? I'm imagining it's similar to a MOT in that it will work unballasted for short runs but won't stand up to more than a few minutes of use.

As an aside, how can I figure out the capacitance of the 20KV caps in the picture? I'm hoping to use this arrangement for a Tesla Coil, but I'd really like to know what I'm dealing with first!!!

Edit: Never mind - I decided to stop being an idiot. My meter puts them at around 2nf each.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Mar 18 2017, 05:12PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
The marking is 242, which is 24 and 2 is x100 so you get 2.4nF

Similarly 241 is 24 x10, 240pF, 240 is 24pF, so the last digit is the multiplier, and you're counting in pF.

For TC's you're going to need at least 6 doorknobs 1 to 2 nF, and 30kv would be better then 20kv.
Nik
Sat Mar 18 2017, 10:23PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
If this was part of the igniter it may not have been designed for continuous use, once the xenon arc is started the transformer was probably turned off. That doesn't mean it's no good you just have to be mindful of how long you run it. Can a transformer be actively cooled when overdriven?
KeeDx3
Sun Mar 19 2017, 01:00AM
Nik wrote ...
Can a transformer be actively cooled when overdriven?

I'll bet submerging it in mineral oil would help! Not sure how to figure out how much time a given volume of oil will buy, though. Sounds like a can of worms I'd rather not open. This is going in an experimental/first coil anyway, so I doubt I'll run it for more than a handful of seconds at a time. Might be good for me to invest in a laser thermometer.

Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...
For TC's you're going to need at least 6 doorknobs 1 to 2 nF, and 30kv would be better then 20kv.

If I have two 20KV capacitors in series, would that give me a total capacity of 40KV? I still have a lot to learn about tank capacitors; it just seems like that's how a lot of MMC's are built. On the other hand, the ~4.4nf I would end up with is too low for my 3" coil? (I could probably use a tutorial on how to use JAVATC).
Nik
Sun Mar 19 2017, 09:57PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
Oil only increases the time until the xfmr over heats unless you actively cool the oil as well. If it takes 5min to heat up the xfrm alone it might take 10min to heat it up while under oil but it will also take twice as long to cool down.

I agree it may be a can of worms but if you have a way to cool the oil you can use relatively little volume, think CPU water cooling but with oil and a fully submerged heat load. Could be a fun project all on its own.
KeeDx3
Wed Apr 12 2017, 06:29AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

Thanks again for the help with these caps. I've decided they're a little risky to use, but I'm still looking in to using doorknobs as opposed to MMC in order to keep my first coil simple.

I'm finding many caps on eBay, and I just wanted to confirm that a pair of 30kv 1000pf would be suitable for this application (SGTC w/10kV, .200kva) transformer. I know you said "at least 6", but I assume you were referring to lower value caps?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Apr 13 2017, 04:23AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
A higher power transformer will need more caps, and I was assuming you would use something like a 12kv 30mA sign transformer to start, that should give you about 18" sparks.

Lower power transformers produce coils with less output.
KeeDx3
Thu Apr 13 2017, 04:49AM
Yeah, I actually do have a few 15/30's and one 7500/30 sitting around. This was more of an opportunistic thing since I found the transformer and figured it wouldn't need the protection (Terry Filter) that an NST would. I thought I'd try my luck at a small, simple "tabletop" device to help me develop a proof-of-concept before burning up any of my nice transformers or spending money going all out on the eventual "nice coil".

This one is a 5:1 with ~900 turns of #26 wire on a 3.5" form and (currently) 7 turns on a 25' primary. Have no idea if it will work or not (still figuring out how to use simulations), but I'm building as much as possible out of spare parts. Mostly I'm just in the weeds with capacitors. The MMC for a 15/30 seems simple and already well-documented on this site and others, but this oddball transformer is putting the few skills I have to the test. I wanted to try it out with doorknobs since they're robust and easy to use.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: