All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Does resonance in a MOT actually boost power output?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ScottH
Sun Mar 12 2017, 08:10PM Print
ScottH Registered Member #61373 Joined: Sat Dec 17 2016, 01:45PM
I read somewhere that resonance only makes the relationship between voltage and current change (in or out of sync), but not really boost power, which somehow makes the arcs longer. I also notice that my MOTS get hot real fast and draw 1.5 to 2x the current on primary without resonant caps. I don't know if all that extra current draw is just the power factor or if there is another reason why.

The resonant caps make the output arcs much brighter and longer, so the voltage must be much higher?

Does resonance increase the current output also?

How can current and voltage be out of phase if voltage pushes a current?
Martin Slinning
Sun Mar 12 2017, 09:16PM
Martin Slinning Registered Member #61375 Joined: Sat Dec 17 2016, 05:45PM
Hi ScottH
You are woundering about the magic of electricity i think..
Faraday found out that a current want to stay in its state, and oppose any change.. This is natures "conservatisme", any change is unwanted.
Inducktion
Sun Mar 12 2017, 09:31PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
I don't know the entire story, but my understanding is that it cancels out the reactance (or, AC resistance) of components in your circuit.

A microwave oven primary has quite a bit of inductance; A random measurement I found online showed 63 mH of inductance.

At 60 hz that calculates out to be about 23.75 ohms of reactance, on top of the resistance of the wire, and the resistance + reactance of the secondary.

However if you run the transformer in resonance that reactance drops to almost zero, and then you're just fighting the resistance of the wire.

That's how DRSSTC's can get such incredible arcs; both the primary AND secondary are driven in resonance with eachother, so the maximum power outputs you can get are limited only by the resistance of the wires, and your power supply.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone by the way. I'm PRETTY sure this is how it works, but... I have been wrong before.

Dr. Slack
Mon Mar 13 2017, 07:05AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Yes, resonance can cancel out series impedances, resulting in higher power output. Of course this comes from higher power input, there's nothing magical going on.

In the case of a MOT, the shunts create a leakage inductance which limits short circuit current. Putting a capacitor in series with either primary or secondary can cancel some or all of this, resulting in higher short-circuit current flowing.

Voltage and current with be in phase at a resistor. At a capacitor, current will lead voltage by 90 degrees. At an inductor, voltage leads current by 90 degrees.

You might combine this last two to see that if a current flows through both an inductor *and* a capacitor in series, the voltage across each will be in anti-phase, so reducing the impedance of the pair. When the individual voltages have the same magnitude, the total voltage will be zero, the pair are resonant, and the remaining series impedance is due to only the resistive losses in the components.

If you combine an inductor and capacitor in parallel, so they see the same voltage, then their currents are in anti-phase, and the terminal current of the combination will be less than the terminal current of either of them. At resonance, no input current is required to support any circulating current between the two, until losses get in the way.
ScottH
Mon Mar 13 2017, 09:45AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Yes, resonance can cancel out series impedances, resulting in higher power output. Of course this comes from higher power input, there's nothing magical going on.

In the case of a MOT, the shunts create a leakage inductance which limits short circuit current. Putting a capacitor in series with either primary or secondary can cancel some or all of this, resulting in higher short-circuit current flowing.

Voltage and current with be in phase at a resistor. At a capacitor, current will lead voltage by 90 degrees. At an inductor, voltage leads current by 90 degrees.

You might combine this last two to see that if a current flows through both an inductor *and* a capacitor in series, the voltage across each will be in anti-phase, so reducing the impedance of the pair. When the individual voltages have the same magnitude, the total voltage will be zero, the pair are resonant, and the remaining series impedance is due to only the resistive losses in the components.

If you combine an inductor and capacitor in parallel, so they see the same voltage, then their currents are in anti-phase, and the terminal current of the combination will be less than the terminal current of either of them. At resonance, no input current is required to support any circulating current between the two, until losses get in the way.

Does resonance work with the MOTS wired in parallel as well? By terminal current, do you mean the current drawn by the primary? Can you explain how current and voltage can be out of phase?

I thought a voltage drives the current, making power. When the current is out of phase with voltage, does VxA=W if they aren't working together at the same time?

If possible, do you know roughly how many Henries of inductance the secondary of a large MOT has?
Dr. Slack
Mon Mar 13 2017, 03:11PM
Does resonance work with the MOTS wired in parallel as well?
Yes

By terminal current, do you mean the current drawn by the primary?
I mean the current drawn at the terminal of whichever component I'm talking about, so the inductor, the capacitor, or the combination of the two

Can you explain how current and voltage can be out of phase?
Current and voltage are independent. It's only when you are driving a resistor that they're in phase. If you're driving a current into a capacitor, then the voltage is the time integral of the current/C. If you're putting a voltage across an inductor, then the current is the time integral of the voltage/L.

I thought a voltage drives the current, making power.
For a resistor

When the current is out of phase with voltage, does VxA=W if they aren't working together at the same time?
No. That's where you get power factor coming into the equation. For a capacitor or inductor across a supply, the voltage and current are in quadrature, no power is dissipated, the power factor is zero, you have a finite VA, but zero W.

If possible, do you know roughly how many Henries of inductance the secondary of a large MOT has?
Never measured one. Here's a rough estimate though for one I have. Core area 70x35mm, approx magnetic length 260mm, assume iron has ur of 2000, guess at 2200 turns. H field for 1 amp one turn = current/length = 1/0.26, B field = u*Hfield = 4pie-7*2000/0.26, flux = area*Bfield = 0.07*0.035*4pie-7*2000/0.26, inductance = n^2.flux = 114H. Of course, should the iron saturate, the ur and hence the inductance will plummet.

The other important inductance in a MOT is the leakage inductance. That's the inductance due to the shunts, that appears in series with the MOT. This is the inductance that's resonated out with a series capacitor. I don't have an estimate for this inductance.

ScottH
Mon Mar 13 2017, 05:48PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Does resonance work with the MOTS wired in parallel as well?
Yes

By terminal current, do you mean the current drawn by the primary?
I mean the current drawn at the terminal of whichever component I'm talking about, so the inductor, the capacitor, or the combination of the two

Can you explain how current and voltage can be out of phase?
Current and voltage are independent. It's only when you are driving a resistor that they're in phase. If you're driving a current into a capacitor, then the voltage is the time integral of the current/C. If you're putting a voltage across an inductor, then the current is the time integral of the voltage/L.

I thought a voltage drives the current, making power.
For a resistor

When the current is out of phase with voltage, does VxA=W if they aren't working together at the same time?
No. That's where you get power factor coming into the equation. For a capacitor or inductor across a supply, the voltage and current are in quadrature, no power is dissipated, the power factor is zero, you have a finite VA, but zero W.

Never measured one. Here's a rough estimate though for one I have. Core area 70x35mm, approx magnetic length 260mm, assume iron has ur of 2000, guess at 2200 turns. H field for 1 amp one turn = current/length = 1/0.26, B field = u*Hfield = 4pie-7*2000/0.26, flux = area*Bfield = 0.07*0.035*4pie-7*2000/0.26, inductance = n^2.flux = 114H. Of course, should the iron saturate, the ur and hence the inductance will plummet.

The other important inductance in a MOT is the leakage inductance. That's the inductance due to the shunts, that appears in series with the MOT. This is the inductance that's resonated out with a series capacitor. I don't have an estimate for this inductance.

So why is the primary current draw much less when the secondary is in resonance, if resonance makes it act like the shunts are not there? Also, why don't my transformers get hot when resonating and putting out much more power? When I run the Mots with no caps, they overheat fast and blow the fuse.

Other YouTube videos measuring draw current with vs without caps show that the primary current draws more from the wall with resonant caps, but the opposite is true in my case as my setup probably pulls 20a at 120v (caps) vs 32a (no caps). Can you explain how that works? Thanks.
Dr. Slack
Mon Mar 13 2017, 06:49PM
Post schematic diagrams of how you have caps connected to the MOTs. As I said, you can resonate different inductances, it's not clear what you are doing.
ScottH
Mon Mar 13 2017, 09:57PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Post schematic diagrams of how you have caps connected to the MOTs. As I said, you can resonate different inductances, it's not clear what you are doing.

I don't have one, but I'll explain. I have 2 Mots with primaries wired in parallel. I have 2 sets of 2 Mocs each wired in parallel connected to each HV output. Since it is wired in phase, I wired the HV output wires from the 2 Moc sets to one wire. There is the Neutral HV terminal, which is wired to the Earthed body of the Mot. Both Mot transformer bodies (cores) are sitting on a foil base so they make contact with each other.

I experience the same things when they are wired in anti-phase/ anti- parallel (Moc HV outputs are not wired together in this configuration, they arc to each other).

The caps are .75uf each. Overall capacitance of the 2X2 cap setup totals .75uf
Dr. Slack
Tue Mar 14 2017, 06:28AM
You've left out some connections. You draw the output arc (a) in series with the capacitor, to ground or (b) the capacitor is to ground, and you draw the arc across the capacitor?

you can use ascii art to draw a schematic if you *really* can't be bothered to install LTSPICE and do a screen cap

but SPICE is kinda handy to have on your computer anyway
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: