Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Will 7,000 Volts Feel Different than 70 Volts, if they Both Put Out the Same Current?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ScottH
Sun Feb 19 2017, 02:42PM Print
ScottH Registered Member #61373 Joined: Sat Dec 17 2016, 01:45PM
Lets say you have a TENS unit that puts out 70v@6ma through the body (assume a 60hz pattern). The unit can only put out 6ma through the body, no more.

If they made a TENS device that puts out 7,000v@6ma through the body with the 60hz pattern, and the device was designed to only put out 6ma through the body, would it feel any different?

I know there is 100x the energy present (wattage) in the "7,000v unit", but the current flowing though the body is exactly the same. If there is a difference, what would it be (more burning, shocking, etc.) and why? I have always wondered.

hen918
Sun Feb 19 2017, 05:10PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Ohms law is V = IR. This cannot be avoided. The voltage and current depend on the resistance. Which isn't actually constant with regards to the human body, but it cannot be changed. If a device put 70 V at 6 mA across / though the body, the resistance would be 12 kOhms. If the voltage was 7000 V the resistance would be 1.2 MOhms. This is higher than the human body, and therefor impossible.
Enceladus
Sun Feb 19 2017, 07:19PM
Enceladus Registered Member #61428 Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017, 12:39PM
If you're only defining the current then you're talking about a current source, not a voltage source. The voltage developed by a current source connected across a resistor will depend only on the value of the resistor. Conversely, if you connect a fixed voltage source to a resistor, the current in the circuit depends only on the resistor. Current sources develop more power as resistance increases and voltage sources develop more power as resistance decreases. Ohm's law man. Learn it. Know it. Never forget it.
Sulaiman
Sun Feb 19 2017, 08:36PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
current vs. voltage for human bodies is complex and non-linear.
If you hold two wires with 70V difference, what happens, and what you feel, will be different depending upon so many factors,
the most important thing to remember is that there is a recorded death by multimeter battery
Link2
so don't go poking probes in yourself, like I used to .........
ScottH
Mon Feb 20 2017, 03:02PM
I know and respect Ohms Law, but you all misunderstood my scenario.

Lets say the human body's resistance with the TENS pads and conductive gel is 1,000 ohms between the electrodes. 70v would allow a max of 70ma through the body, which is the rated voltage output of the unit. The device can only do around 6ma regardless (according to the label), so only 6ma is available to go through the person.

Now lets say they sold one that put out 7,000 volts. 7,000v is capable of pushing 7 full amps through the human body in this scenario (1,000 ohms). If the transformer of the unit was only capable of supplying 6ma of current, then only 6ma would be available to go through the person.

*One good example of what I am explaining is a stun gun. It may put out 50,000v, but with the overall power supplying it (battery), then there is only 5-30 ma of current max. Stun guns do not kill or do much damage, if any. That is not the same as touching a 50,000v power line (which would fry you). Both sources have 50,000v, and Ohms Law applies to both shocks, but one has limited current to "give" and the other is practically unlimited.
DekuTree64
Mon Feb 20 2017, 04:58PM
DekuTree64 Registered Member #54596 Joined: Fri Mar 06 2015, 11:31AM
If the supply can't provide the amps, the voltage drops accordingly. That stun gun is only 50kV until it makes contact, and then it drops very quickly. You still get the high voltage effects (long sparks, powerful static E field), but as soon as the charge starts moving, you have to re-evaluate the situation.

With the TENS machine, if it's pushing 6ma through 1000 ohms, then the voltage must have dropped to 6V. But if it's capable of a continuous 6mA at 70V (i.e. it can push 6mA through a resistance of 11.6kOhms), then the only reason the voltage would drop with the lower resistance is because of a current limiting device.

A 7kV TENS machine could potentially feel different because high voltage can pierce the skin, establishing a low resistance path into the low resistance blood/nerves. Then it would have to drop the voltage drastically to keep the current low. But the low current would probably allow the low resistance path to dissipate, so then it would have to adjust the voltage back up to 6V like the regular machine to maintain the specified 6mA current. So my best guess is that you'd get a small sting on contact, after which it would feel the same as usual... assuming it charges to the full 7kV when no current is flowing. In reality the control circuitry would probably keep the voltage low until a small current is detected, and then adjust up until the target is reached. So the 7kV supply on 1kOhm skin would be no different at all.
Physikfan
Tue Feb 21 2017, 01:35PM
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
If I would be not very polite I would say
Your question is inconsistent with
Ohm's law.
If you want to get the same current
Through your body by applying different voltages
The only possibility is you have to
Change your body's resistance.
ScottH
Tue Feb 21 2017, 02:34PM
So no matter the voltage, voltage drop is directly proportional to the current going through the resistance?

If I got zapped by an ignition coil with 40,000v and it only put out 40ma, the voltage going through my body drops to 40v due to resistance?
hen918
Tue Feb 21 2017, 05:15PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
ScottH wrote ...

So no matter the voltage, voltage drop is directly proportional to the current going through the resistance?

If I got zapped by an ignition coil with 40,000v and it only put out 40ma, the voltage going through my body drops to 40v due to resistance?

If your body has a resistance of 1 kOhm, yes, that's exactly right.
Physikfan
Tue Feb 21 2017, 08:03PM
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
Hi ScottH

According to your first question I think
you got Ohm's Law.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: