Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

I need a simple power meter for a phase-controlled heater.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Sat Feb 18 2017, 10:25AM Print
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I am using a simple phase-controlled-triac 'dimmer' like this Link2
to control a 240 V ac 300 W resistive heater.

I will be measuring the effective heating power by the rate of boiling and condensing of water,
and I want to compare it to the actual electrical power input.

I want to measure the electrical heating power but I do not have access to a true rms meter at the moment,
is there a simple measurement technique that requires only simple callibration,
for say 10% to 90% power, with 5% accuracy or better ?
(preferably passive circuitry with a 100uA or 1mA d.c. f.s.d. moving coil meter :)

an indication of (rms current).squared would suffice
as the heater will not change resistance significantly in the intended working temperature range.

At a minimum, once min. and max. are set, a 'callibration' formula to mark the knob positions/scale would do,
(I really don't want to wake up the calculus bit of my brain if avoidable - it hurts :)
Dr. Slack
Sat Feb 18 2017, 03:50PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
so many options, so few meet your requirements.

Any current meter must also be constant resistance, as any tempco that's different to the heater will mean a gain error with respect to the heater.

The simplest passive type would be a 'hot wire' ammeter, which naturally reads true rms. A man of your skills ought to be able rig one up and calibrate it fairly easily. Use a 'resistance wire' rather than steel or copper for low tempco.

Hot filament power substitution method is used for RF meters. A small incandescent lamp is fed with DC through an RF choke, and heated to a temperature where its resistance is 50 ohms, to match impedance. RF is fed in through a capacitor, and the DC feed is servoed to maintain the temperature by reducing its power input. The difference in DC power is the amount of RF arriving. For a low frequency measurand, you could switch to a high frequency substitution supply.

You could make a 'square and average' front end for your meter. Apart from the standard AD835 multiplier circuit, I've always had a hankering to build a sigma delta multiplier, but never got round to it. The general idea is that the output of a sigma delta converting an input is used to control a multiplexer that switches between the input and its inverse, so the mean of that output is proportional to the input squared. The first sigma delta converter I built when I invented the concept independently (a year after Phillips, Sony and Toshiba, so no patents on that) ran at 10kHz with a TL072 and HC74, so it's very easy (for appropriate meanings of the word 'very').

Then again, borrowing a true RMS meter, or even buying the one you've always wanted, might be easier.
Sulaiman
Sun Feb 19 2017, 01:16AM
I was hoping for some magic trick ... no surprises.
I gained a Fluke dmm from work as it was not eonomical to repair, worth a try
last year I remembered to remove the expired batteries ......

No problem, I'll just callibrate the dial in effective heating power

DONE
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Feb 19 2017, 01:36AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I've got several RF ammeters that are thermocouple type and are true reading from DC to 10 MHz.

Surplus Sales of Nebraska has a 20A thermocouple for this purpose, and I bought one but I never had enough current that I could source to see any action out of it.

I checked and it looks like they don't have any RF shunts anymore. They are getting a bit scarce, but they do have a 40A RF ammeter.
Electra
Mon Feb 20 2017, 12:12AM
Electra Registered Member #816 Joined: Sun Jun 03 2007, 07:29PM
I think The next most accurate method if you can't measure the rms by any means.

If you can measure the phase angle using a scope,and use that to draw a calibrated dial for the control

Calculate the rms voltage or power from the phase angle.

Found this formula on line, as I couldn't recall it

Po = ( V Squared / pi * R ) * [pi - α + (sin2α / 2) ]

the firing angle α = ωt, where ω = 2πf

V = rms volts.

I have not checked it's correct mind you.
Uspring
Mon Feb 20 2017, 10:28AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
It's correct. If you don't have a scope but a meter, which can measure average current, you can determine the phase angle from there and plug it into the equation for the power.

johnf
Mon Feb 20 2017, 06:40PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
The biggest problem with using a multimeter is that phase fired waveforms have too high a crest factor for the rms circuitry. In good multimeters ie Fluke there is a crest factor spec in the AC ranges.

If you simultaneously multiply your instantaneous voltage with instantaneous current you get iinstantaneous power you can use a linear multiplier then a voltage to freq convertor and count the pulses for a very accurate power reading.
I did this at work and got to better than 1 part in 36million for power applied to an electrolysis cell but this did require a very special current sense resistor from germany to get to this accuracy
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Feb 21 2017, 01:39AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I always wanted to try the analog route and see how that worked out.

The approach being taking the scaled voltage, and current measurement (CT) and applying them to a log amp, sum them, and take the anti-log to the meter. The major drawback to this is the typical BB log amp chip is in the $10 range.

The other approach would be cram it into the arduino, code whatever filter you want, and a look-up table with scaled correction factors would probably be cheaper then the log amp.
Plus, you could code peak and average, and moving average history all on a 16x2 LCD.

All depends on what you want.
radiotech
Tue Feb 21 2017, 09:38AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
Connect a small wattage light bulb in parallel with your 240 volt 300 watt phase controlled heater.

Now connect a similar light bulb up to a DC power supply that you can easily measure current and
voltage to easily determine power level.

Place the two lamps in a shroud so you can judge if both are lighted equally.

If both are glowing equally, then the power applied to both lamps is equal.

The effective voltage in both lamps will be the same. This voltage squared times the resistance
of the 300 watt heater will be the true power.
Many

This topic was discussed here in 2010 in this posting , and I (radiotechnician) mentioned the power lamp.

Link2
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 21 2017, 10:20AM
Thanks for all of the feedback,
I've decided to go with a simple linear scale and 'callibrate' it later when I have access to a true rms meter.

radiotech ... I had considered a front panel filament lamp in parallel with the heater as a visual power indicator.
my pathetic excuse for not doing it is
a) I find low wattage 240 V lamps have a short life, a false 'nopower' indication is worse than not having an indicator
b) I don't have one in stock
Somewhere I've got one of those small circular transformers intended for running elv filament panel lamps on 240 Vac ....
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: