Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

4HV remote help request

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Fri Feb 17 2017, 04:05AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi, just got an SOS from #hvcomm user who's Android (S6?) phone USB broke.
They can't charge nor sync it, battery at 20% and no data backup.

Can someone suggest a fix? Replacing the battery is not an option as this phone is one with no memory card slot, I did
think of using the screen on its lowest brightness setting and a second phone to copy the data files as sequential pictures.

This is pretty urgent as they have >15GB of data on here and no way to salvage it.
edit: see later notes, data is safe but still isses with wireless charging.
Fri Feb 17 2017, 09:10AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
It should be easy enough to connect to a wifi network and copy the files to a PC over ftp using an android ftp client and a ftp server on the pc. In the mean time put the phone in airplane mode and keep the brightness low to conserve battery. You could also look into using wifidirect although I think that only works for phone to phone transfer so will likely be slower. In any case the s6 supports 802.11.ac so your transfer speed will only be limited by the internal memory speed, and it should be able to move 15gb starting from 20% battery strength.

Of course you can always crack the phone open and connect a bigger battery where the original was... the memory is nonvolatile so it is not like it all vanishes when the phone goes dead.
Conundrum
Fri Feb 17 2017, 11:18AM
Yeh, but its very dicey. Once that battery goes the phone is basically bricked and Samsung *might* not repair it.
I call this the "Chappie" failure mode...
Fortunately induction (wireless) charging still works so the phone is usable for now.

Avi
Mon Feb 27 2017, 11:24AM
Avi Registered Member #580 Joined: Mon Mar 12 2007, 03:17PM
I had to go and buy a wireless QI charger. I do not have 802.11AC, it took forever to transfer that stuff.
I even had to turn off 802.11N (because my dad's phone seems to crash the router when it is enabled, for some reason)
Even still the wireless charging doesn't always work right, sometimes it keeps oscillating wireless charging paused, charging, etc, and each time it turns the screen on, one time entirely made it flat, so the charger became a discharger!
as for the non functional USB receptacle, a store said 40% chance of success without breaking the front glass+lcd+back glass. would i have better luck calling Samsung directly? should i bother (as in would it be worthwhile going though for selling purposes)?

As for you Conundrum never post on my behalf without asking my prior permission. Thanks!
Also can anyone here...
No, change of topics belong in new threads.
Conundrum
Wed Mar 01 2017, 06:30AM
Phone crashing the router: yup had this too. Is it a Note 4 by any chance?

Sorry, just trying to help. Also this behavior on the phone suggests that there is an issue with coming out of standby which I've actually seen on an S3 with a similar problem: if the charger speed is too low due to bad USB then this will discharge a working phone down to nothing in about 24 hours.

By all means contact them. Have the serial * and box handy if they ask for it.

-A
#include "avinewphonekickstarter.h" $10 pledged
Avi
Thu Mar 02 2017, 03:03PM
wrote ...

Phone crashing the router: yup had this too. Is it a Note 4 by any chance?
no

wrote ...

this behavior on the phone suggests that there is an issue with coming out of standby which I've actually seen on an S3 with a similar problem: if the charger speed is too low due to bad USB then this will discharge a working phone down to nothing in about 24 hours.
(when the port worked), when connecting via a pc, it would constantly and randomly say a device was pluged in, even if i changed the port, or cable, i think one cable was more frequent though.
the included fast charger with included cable also worked but i don't know if it had these pauses in charging as i had it in a location where i never observed it charging.

wrote ...

By all means contact them. Have the serial * and box handy if they ask for it.
what i mean is is it worth my bother?
a used S6 on ebay is $329 AUD working and about $200 not working
do you recon the repair (Samsung will most likely break both glass panels and oled too, and lets assume the logic board needs replacing) is worth even looking into?

wrote ...

#include "avinewphonekickstarter.h" $10 pledged
Well i am waiting for 21st of April for the S8 launch, but $200 back on this one isn't that great, and it will be even less after launch.
I'm just wondering if doing the repairs will get me a gain or a loss on the sale of the S6

Conundrum
Wed Mar 15 2017, 03:34AM
TBH I would sell it as is. I have had some success swpping out connectors, the fact it still charges wirelessly means it isn't totally useless.

Do you still have the box? this sound *exactly* like the failure I had on my S3, S2 AND Note 4.
Avi
Mon Apr 10 2017, 08:23AM
Conundrum wrote ...

Do you still have the box?
yes
Conundrum
Tue Apr 18 2017, 04:57AM
Useful, I think its fine to send these to Samsung if its in an original box, clearly labeled and has the appropriate Customs stickers.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: