All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High Voltage Crystal Oscillator

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Enceladus
Thu Feb 09 2017, 07:17AM Print
Enceladus Registered Member #61428 Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017, 12:39PM
Ever since I leaned that Q values in excess of a million are possible with crystal resonators I have wondered if there might be a way to design a crystal power oscillator that would operate something like a Tesla coil with the conventional secondary circuit replaced or supplemented by a crystal with potentially several orders of magnitude greater Q factor. I've tried simulating a few schemes where I basically placed the crystal below and in series with the topload of a conventional coil with very underwhelming results. I know essentially how to simulate the behavior of a crystal but I'm still not grasping something here.

Can any of you think of any way this sort of thing could work? Is there even any merit to the idea?

-J
Erlend^SE
Thu Feb 09 2017, 08:23PM
Erlend^SE Registered Member #1565 Joined: Wed Jun 25 2008, 09:08PM
Well, check piezo-transformers.

It's the real deal. Piezo crystal with multiple connections and resonant driver.

I may have a LCD backlight driver around somewhere based on them.
Antonio
Sat Feb 11 2017, 01:14PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Tesla coils don't depend on the quality factor of the resonator. Too low quality factor creates losses, of course, but after a quite low value there is no more difference.
Dr. Slack
Sun Feb 12 2017, 12:06PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
@Antonio, as in, once they break out, the streamer loading is so heavy, that a high unloaded Q is irrelevant
Enceladus
Mon Feb 13 2017, 05:52PM
Antonio wrote ...

Tesla coils don't depend on the quality factor of the resonator. Too low quality factor creates losses, of course, but after a quite low value there is no more difference.

What are you talking about dude? That's like saying a Tesla coil resonator doesn't depend on resonance. A TC secondary circuit is always designed to have the highest inductance, lowest series resistance, and thus the highest Q factor possible. Voltage gain from input to output, neglecting losses will depend on the root of the ratio of Ls to Lp and the voltage gain within the secondary circuit when driven at resonance is equal to its Q factor. Thus, the secondary Q should be as high as practical. Q factor IS a factor of the final gain product. That is, ignoring dynamic loading effects, a coil with a secondary circuit Q of 200 will have twice the voltage gain of a coil with a Q of 100.

Maybe you and I just have different ideas on what constitutes a low Q value. The only ways it could be <<100 would be:

A) If your secondary wire is too small, or not copper
B) If your secondary turns are widely spaced or too few in number
C) If your secondary coil has insufficient height or diameter
D) If you deliberately add series resistance or shunt conductance to broaden the bandwidth or otherwise limit performance

TC secondaries actually have similar inductance and ESR to quartz crystals in the ~1MHz operating range, but crystals generally have series capacitance measured in fF.

The only type of crystal I can think of that could stand up to such extreme electrical and mechanical stress would be the igniter type, but I have no clue what kind of Q factors they'd have. Judging by their size and shape, they probably resonate at too high a frequency to be useful anyways. I would probably have to cut or grow some special.

Perhaps a cavity resonator would be better suited to stand in as a tertiary magnifier circuit. I'm sure it's been tried, but as for the crystals, there is very little information.

Any links to info on piezo-transformers or anything else along these lines would be appreciated.
Sulaiman
Mon Feb 13 2017, 08:06PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
from memory of my coils;
. before breakout "Q" = 100 to 500
. during breakout ... really not sure but guestimated at 3 to 10

Here I use the definition of Q = (reactive power) / (real power)
sometimes I use Q=(resonant frequency)/(3dB bandwidth)

so if you have a piezo/resonant transformer
with a loaded/working Q of 10,000 giving a hv output of 1kW
then the reactive power would be 10 MVAR
or if you think of it as Q=(reactive resonant current)/(resistive load current)
a 1A output current (arc) would require a resonating current of 10kA for a loaded Q of 10,000
the physical constraints are quite stringent.
Antonio
Tue Feb 14 2017, 01:03AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Enceladus wrote ...

What are you talking about dude? That's like saying a Tesla coil resonator doesn't depend on resonance. A TC secondary circuit is always designed to have the highest inductance, lowest series resistance, and thus the highest Q factor possible. Voltage gain from input to output, neglecting losses will depend on the root of the ratio of Ls to Lp and the voltage gain within the secondary circuit when driven at resonance is equal to its Q factor. Thus, the secondary Q should be as high as practical. Q factor IS a factor of the final gain product. That is, ignoring dynamic loading effects, a coil with a secondary circuit Q of 200 will have twice the voltage gain of a coil with a Q of 100.

No. The maximum voltage gain in a conventional Tesla coil, modeled as two coupled LC circuits, is given, by energy conservation, as que square root of the ratio between primary and secondary capacitances, or, equivalently, by the ratio between secondary and primary inductances. High Q in the coils can't increase this gain. Low Q can reduce it, of course.
Enceladus
Tue Feb 14 2017, 09:23AM
Antonio wrote ...

Enceladus wrote ...

No. The maximum voltage gain in a conventional Tesla coil, modeled as two coupled LC circuits, is given, by energy conservation, as que square root of the ratio between primary and secondary capacitances, or, equivalently, by the ratio between secondary and primary inductances. High Q in the coils can't increase this gain. Low Q can reduce it, of course.

I think I get what your saying. I certainly have a lot still to learn, but a lot of what I said above is actually consistent with what you're saying here.

So in a real world coil, what is a typical critical value, where the correlation stops? I could use some examples. What about slayer exiters? They often don't even include a primary cap, and basically just pump the secondary circuit continuously. Also, what about 3-coil TC's? Doesn't the tertiary circuit effectiveness depend on it having high Q?
jpsmith123
Tue Feb 14 2017, 07:30PM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Maybe you are asking something like: Being that there is a Q dependent voltage gain possible with a series LC circuit, then is it somehow possible to get a very high voltage gain from a crystal (such as used in a crystal oscillator), which has a very high Q?

And I think an answer is no, because, when you look at a crystal equivalent circuit, you cannot get access to a set of terminals where there would be a voltage gain as in a discrete LC circuit.

Enceladus wrote ...

Ever since I leaned that Q values in excess of a million are possible with crystal resonators I have wondered if there might be a way to design a crystal power oscillator that would operate something like a Tesla coil with the conventional secondary circuit replaced or supplemented by a crystal with potentially several orders of magnitude greater Q factor. I've tried simulating a few schemes where I basically placed the crystal below and in series with the topload of a conventional coil with very underwhelming results. I know essentially how to simulate the behavior of a crystal but I'm still not grasping something here.

Can any of you think of any way this sort of thing could work? Is there even any merit to the idea?

-J
woodchuck
Tue Feb 14 2017, 10:27PM
woodchuck Registered Member #39190 Joined: Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM
Yup. It's a case of taking lumped parameter models too far. All models (as all analogies) fall apart at some point. But if anyone wanted to do some crazy experimentation, a large bar or disk of PZT might be a place to start.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: