Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Jack (13)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Homemade electromagnet.

Move Thread LAN_403
iJim
Sat Feb 04 2017, 07:08PM
iJim Registered Member #2662 Joined: Fri Jan 29 2010, 10:14AM
Hi all,

I'm just after opinions on whether one could build a 2T electromagnet at home? It needn't be a continuos field, so a pulsed magnet seems like the obvious thing. Back of the envelope calculation suggests hundreds if not thousands of Amps would be required and that would have to be squeezed into a relatively small solenoid!

Cheers

Jim
Carbon_Rod
Sun Feb 05 2017, 12:32AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Most equipment uses a double walled dewar for keeping liquid nitrogen around liquid helium.
Thus, the cryogenically cooled super-conducting electromagnet can maintain its field for weeks with almost no electrical power required.
Note, the odds of finding a functional surplus unit is low given their scarcity among labs.

Doing this at home would pose some significant challenges... unless you lived in a particle physics lab.
wink
klugesmith
Sun Feb 05 2017, 06:13AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Hi Jim.

2T is barely within the range where you can get the benefit of iron in the flux path.
In how large a space do you need that strong a flux density?

Would you be content with electromagnet for lifting things, or holding them down? 2 T isn't unreasonable (IMHO) if the magnet pole pieces are in contact with the attracted object.
Electromagnets made from microwave oven transformer are all over the Internet.
1486274364 2099 FT178891 Motmag3
Link2

I'm guessing that with the original 120-volt primary winding, 15 or 20 amps DC would get you close to the saturation flux density. To do it with less current and power, add windings to fill the space formerly occupied by the secondary winding and core shunts. You could use pre-wound primary coils from one or two identical MOT's.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Feb 05 2017, 06:47AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Magnet Link2
iJim
Mon Feb 06 2017, 07:45PM
Pretty much as I thought, it knew it was going to be a big ask!! Apparently one can buy a table top 2T magnet these days for about 100k, I suspect the magnet may fit on a table top, but the power supply will be bigger than the table.

The reason I asked was because I'm interested in what happens to a plasma when it passes through such a high field. I'm not in a particle physics lab, but actually a plasma physics lab and the strongest magnets we have tend to be found in magnetrons. Actually, just across the road there's an MRI scanner with an 8T magnet, funnily enough the owner is not as keen as I am to give it a try!
klugesmith
Tue Feb 07 2017, 04:37AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
>> Apparently one can buy a table top 2T magnet these days for about 100k...

OK Jim, it looks like you want B = 2 T in a mostly empty space.
But you still never said what size you are thinking of.
For a volume similar to that of a pencil eraser,
1486442132 2099 FT178891 Eraser
I bet it could be done with permanent magnets, with the whole thing no bigger than a soda can.
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 07 2017, 08:45AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
AFAIK there are no phenomena that occur at 2T that do not occur at 1T, or 10T

I too would go for a couple of NdFeB permanent magnets with transformer steel for a yoke and as pole concentrators
1.7T easy, 2T marginal.

have a look here Link2
iJim
Wed Feb 08 2017, 10:27AM
Hi Sulaiman,

'there are no phenomena that occur at 2T that do not occur at 1T, or 10T'... Actually, under atmospheric pressure conditions, the gyration frequency of the electrons in the plasma approaches their collisional frequency in the 2 - 4 T range. There's potentially some interesting physics that might pop out in this range, but as noted, it's pretty hard to find out.

It's actually the same phenomena that is exploited in low pressure magnetised plasmas from materials processing applications. Critically, in these systems the collisional frequency is much lower, hence the required magnetic field is also much lower. So they tend to use rings of permanent magnets.

In terms of size, something small would be fine (the plasma passing through a high field region on the order of a cubic cm would be ideal).

Permanent magnets sound like they could certainly get me close and it's worth a try (as long as they aren't too expensive). An electromagnet would have the advantage of being able to trigger the field at different points during the discharge, which would add to what we could find out.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: