All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mach 1 over a weekend

Move Thread LAN_403
Nik
Sun Jan 22 2017, 08:16PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
I've always been interested in vacuum cannons but only recently found out that with a high pressure boost
it is possible to get objects up past the speed of sound. (The current record is over 800m/s)

So after a quick trip to the hardware store I built myself a pressure+vacuum cannon with vacuum accumulator.
The I put a wire along the mylar foil on the high pressure side as a trigger, if it fails to fire from pressure I can
just heat it up but as of yet it has always fired on its own. The vacuum accumulator at the business end is used
to eliminate any back-pressure from air that blows by the ping pong ball as it accelerates.

1jXu9t6

After a few attempts I finally got a ball going at 360m/s! "Fast" doesn't cover how short the event is, the ball
is evaporated before you get a chance to process what has happened.

GIFV: Filmed at normal speed and 1200fps

To estimate the speed I (previously) measured the displacement between the target and the barrel and then was
able to measure how far the ball moved in 1 frame (about 30cm). The shutter speed was 1/1250s but I'm not sure
how much rolling shutter caused the streak to be lengthened so I am calculating conservatively.

HfnV3lF

The next step is to build a target enclosure to catch all the ball bits and target material that comes flying off.
johnf
Mon Jan 23 2017, 06:23PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
I saw a vacuum cannon at HEAS a few years ago. That one went more than 1 Mach iforget how fast but the noise was stunning. The ping pong ball went through full sodapop cans (filledwith water). No need for accumulator but the unit did have a potato cannon to help it along
Nik
Tue Jan 24 2017, 11:06AM
I my pressurized air boost is pretty much a potato cannon so it sounds like a similar setup. Looking at my high speed footage I can see the exit burst disk puff up just before the ball exits, indicating back pressure. I thought that the vacuum accumulator would take care of this but maybe I just haven't let it pump down far enough.

440m/s run filmed at 1/1200fps

Is HEAS a makerfair/con/thon? I couldn't find it from a quick google.
johnf
Tue Jan 24 2017, 05:56PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
HEAS = high energy amateur scientists getotgether late Sept early oct once a year
run by Richard Hull in Richmond Virginia.
Two stage vac pump took around ten minutes to evacuate the tube
Finn Hammer
Tue Jan 31 2017, 02:55PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Interesting.. This could be a great tool to visualize to what extent air is in the way of moving objects.
A couple of questions:
How thick is the mylar you use as diafragm?
How high pressure is in the pressure chamber?
How do you sequence the breaking of the 2 seal, pressure vs vacuum?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Nik
Tue Jan 31 2017, 06:06PM
It would be interesting to run it with varying levels of vacuum and see how much of a difference there is in the ball speed. At the moment I am getting about 40torr according to my amazon vacuum gauge but I think there are some leaks in the non-vacuum rated hose I am using.

The mylar I am using is sometimes known as "space blanket" and my crummy micrometer measures it to be ~15um.

At the moment I haven't had it above 80psi due to the length of airline between the cannon and my compressor, with the ABS I picked I can safely go up to 100psi with no fear of failure.

I have changed the setup a little and am now using only one membrane at the vacuum/pressure interface (having 2 was causing issues). My new membrane is made of poly propylene tape (tuck tape), a length of 30awg wire, mylar and then another strip of tape. This will easily hold the 80+psi and can be triggered by heating the wire with a little current, once the mylar and poly propylene have weakened they fail in a catastrophic way and release the pressure.

My last shot came out around 500m/s and put a measurable dent in a hard hat!
RL1i0Xf
(1200fps, 1/2000s shutter speed)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: