Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A problem with MOSFETs

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
hyparh
Sun Jan 22 2017, 02:15PM Print
hyparh Registered Member #1054 Joined: Wed Oct 10 2007, 10:51PM
Hello everyone!
Recently I've purchased 10 new IRFP250, but all of them seem to be in a constant "off" state. What do I mean - I set my multimeter to diode check, put negative lead to Source, charge the Gate by touching it with the positive lead, and then when I touch Drain with the positive it shows around 900 ohms instead of a closed circuit. And this is for all of the 10 brand new mosfets frown My DMM is with new battery and measures everything else properly.
Why this could be happening? Is there any simple schematic (with a small light bulb and battery for instance) to test them?
I tried one of them in a flyback driver and it didn't work properly.
hen918
Sun Jan 22 2017, 02:44PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I am a little confused. A diode check measures the forward voltage of a diode, in volts or sometimes millivolts. Putting the positive lead onto the source and the negative onto the drain should give you a reading somewhere around one volt. With the gate shorted to the source, the positive lead onto the drain and negative on the source, should not give a reading (it would be OL, like a resistance check, because the voltage would be above the multimeter's threshold.
hyparh
Sun Jan 22 2017, 03:44PM
I'm sorry, it was the continuity mode I used for measure (the painted diode there was confusing me with "diode check", or maybe they're both at once on some multimeters?).
So with briefly charging the Gate and then measuring with positive to D and negative to S, it should be like closed circuit with the "beep" signal, right? But in my case they all show some values between 800 and 1000.
klugesmith
Sun Jan 22 2017, 04:13PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Dou you get more satisfying results with different MOSFETs, using the same method and meter? What gate voltage will marginally turn "on" an IRFP250?

What's the open-circuit output voltage of your meter in continuity mode, which probably displays ohms? Is it enough to get a finite reading of the D-S diode when probes are reversed?

What's the open-circuit output voltage of your meter in diode mode, which probably displays volts?

hyparh
Sun Jan 22 2017, 05:09PM
klugesmith wrote ...

Dou you get more satisfying results with different MOSFETs, using the same method and meter? What gate voltage will marginally turn "on" an IRFP250?

Yes, via this method and the same meter the previous two IRFP250 were showing 0 (or very near 0 with the beep signal presenting) and were working just fine until I blew them up with a faulty circuit angry Now I am realy confused with the new ones which are the very same type, but showing different things when measured.

My DMM is VC890D and has "continuity" and "diode" checks at the same division. I measured 3.2V between probes in this mode.

Vc890d
johnf
Sun Jan 22 2017, 06:46PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Also depends if your mosfets are counterfits.
this has happened before.

If your gate voltage is not clamped to protect it ie Transil diode or Zener diode --it is very likely that you have punctured the gate insulating layer
hyparh
Sun Jan 22 2017, 07:51PM
johnf wrote ...

Also depends if your mosfets are counterfits.

That crossed my mind too. Well, I guess I'll have to try another ones from another store smile Though I've used IRFP250s from the same store before without problems, but this was more than year ago, so who knows...

Here are three of them (unused, as they were in the package):

1485114244 1054 FT178767 20170122 213026

1485114244 1054 FT178767 20170122 213050
Wolfram
Tue Jan 24 2017, 04:01PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
The test is not very reliable, as the compliance voltage of the diode check function on most multimeters is close to the gate threshold voltage of many power MOSFETs, including the IRFP250. Test them with a higher gate drive voltage to get a more conclusive result.
Conundrum
Wed Jan 25 2017, 12:16PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi, if you are interested I have a used Peak Atlas (pcb only) here which does work but the battery discharges in a couple of days. If you added a switch to it this would be a nice test instrument. PM me.
Enceladus
Mon Jan 30 2017, 01:54PM
Enceladus Registered Member #61428 Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017, 12:39PM
Have you tried measuring while charging the gates to perhaps 10V with a separate supply? Most datasheets recommend driving Vgs to at least 10V for an R(ds) ON measurment test.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: