Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SMPS: What topology for 3kW 36 V to 360 V converter?

Move Thread LAN_403
Storken
Thu Dec 29 2016, 12:44AM
Storken Registered Member #1960 Joined: Thu Feb 05 2009, 11:57PM
Hello,

Being somewhat experienced with buck and boost converters I have now encountered a challenge where these topologies are far from ideal.

Basically I'm charging a big li-ion battery (20 kWh 360 Vnom) from a 36 V bus (Solar/generator/4kWh li-ion stabilizing battery).

The specifications:
Input voltage: 30 to 42 V
Output voltage: 280 to 430 V
Power: 3 kW

The easy:
Both the load and source are low impedance batteries. This makes control loops less critical.

The hard:
Input side will see quite high currents. Parallelled modules might be a solution.
Safety. Lethal voltage. When not connected, converter should not be hot.
If transformer topology, making a efficient transformer.

I'm thinking I have to choose between flyback, push-pull or half bridge. Flyback seems easy, but lacks the power unless very big magnetics is used. Push-pull needs more attention regarding flux imbalance, but my understanding is that with current control - this will be fine. I know half bridge from SR-Buck converters and one 3PH ebike inverter I built some time ago, but connected to a transformer - I can't readily grasp the challenges.

Relevant literature: Isolated Supply Overview and Design Trade-Offs
Relevant topic: here on 4hv

What would you do? Any help or pointers to similar work is greatly appreciated.
johnf
Thu Dec 29 2016, 06:06AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Current fed current mode full bridge would be the topology of choice.
bullet proof in this sort of situation.
Steve Ward
Thu Dec 29 2016, 06:51AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Given that your input voltage is so low, a full-bridge would be my choice.

Since the output voltage is rather high, a passive set of rectifiers + filter inductance (as seen in most "push-pull" converters) would be pretty straight forward. SiC schottky diodes might be of some benefit.

Push-pull gets harder at higher power levels as leakage inductance naturally grows with size and consequently voltage spikes across the switches become annoying to deal with. Full-bridge is pretty much the "go-to" for high power conversions.
johnf
Fri Dec 30 2016, 06:52PM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Steve
that is why I went for the current fed current mode topology as there is overlap in the full bridge to control the leakage inductance spikes
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Dec 31 2016, 06:56AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I would try to split up that task to 2 U-core transformers, and not try to get one transformer to handle the full load.
The U-cores are fairly inexpensive on ebay, and with 2 transformers you should be able to get just enough of a winding window to handle 4x 90V windings.
I think you will need 16 AWG teflon wire to handle 10A though. Don't bother with copper magnet wire, it will have more losses.

On my small converter (18W) I needed maximum efficiency possible because its portable, and I ran into a problem where I could not source enough current, so I have to use 2 identical windings and rectify them center-tap grounded full wave.

If you do a small-scale experiment and find you cannot source the current you need reliably, you might also need to double-up each secondary for more current.
hen918
Sun Jan 01 2017, 12:09PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I have done almost exactly that. (mine had a 400 V output voltage and a 30 V input voltage)
I used a phase shifted full bridge with one large ETD-59 transformer.
The UCC28950 provided my control, with the synchronous rectifier outputs not connected.
SiC diodes were used for the rectification, and IRFB3077 MOSFETs (two in parallel) for the primary drive.
I haven't tested it at above 3 kW but it has been over-designed to perform well at very high powers.
The only issues are the parasitics in the transformer, made worse by having four parallel primary windings.

Push-pull is impossible with that specification. The energy stored in the transformer's leakage inductance (in the order of 1 uH) will be dissipated in the 'FETs on every cycle.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: