Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A question on magnetics is bugging me ... help

Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Wed Dec 14 2016, 04:09PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
suppose I have 1000 cube magnets, all N-S always alligned in the same direction,
I could make one line of 1000 x 1 x 1
or (with glue) a 10 x 10 x 10 cube, or a 1 x 50 x 20 sheet .... any numbee of possibilities.

When far away (say >1,000,000 x block dimensions),
does the arrangement make any difference to the nett magnetic field strength ?

OR

for a given ammount of 'magnet material', what shape causes the strongest remote magnetic field ?
or by superposition, is shape irrelevant ?
my maths is not up to this :(

Karmaslap
Wed Dec 14 2016, 08:35PM
Karmaslap Registered Member #58215 Joined: Wed Dec 30 2015, 11:27AM
If you're greater than 1,000,000 block dimensions away, then no, arrangement has virtually no impact on strength, but only because you are so far away. If the magnets formed an infinite plane, then I think there would be a difference.

If you're much closer than that, (relatively close) then you would want a 1 cube thick sheet of magnets with the poles facing the same way and to be above (or below it) right in the center. By superposition, that's the shape and location of the strongest field, I think, because that's how you manage to get the most magnetic material closest to the point you are measuring. Depending on the distance, the sheet might be 2 or three units deep in the center and taper out to the edges.

You could sum up the magnetic material as dipoles and integrate over the sheet to confirm, I guess, but I think that's the best way: the most magnetic material as close as you can possibly get.

What you can also do if you just care about max strength is to guide the flux into a concentrated zone like so: Link2 for more field strength but I think it falls off more quickly as well in that case because flux doesn't like getting shoved together. Maybe this is a better way, I'm not sure.

Sulaiman
Thu Dec 15 2016, 07:54AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
pyramid magnets :)
... it would be better to use block magnets and steel pyramids.
Uspring
Thu Dec 15 2016, 09:33AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Mostly I agree with what Karmaslap says. But there might be also a non linear effect, i.e. the magnetic field of one block might affect the field of another one.
This would be the case, if the permeability of the magnets differ from 1. Then the field of one block will influence the field generated by another block since it will cause an additional magnetisation there.

Consider a case of one magnetic block and four other non magnetic ones with a high mu. Place the four blocks around the sides of the magnetic block. The flux of the magnetic block will go mainly through the other ones and not into free space, effectively shielding the magnetic block. The far field should be reduced by this.

Now we do have only magnetic blocks in Sulaimans experiment, but if the blocks have a high mu a sequential arrangements of blocks might produce a larger far field.
Dr. Slack
Thu Dec 15 2016, 01:21PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Yes, the arrangement of magnets does affect the far field.

Consider 4096 magnets arranged as >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, you now have a magnetic dipole of moment 4096d, where d is the length of a magnet. That field will be detectable at whatever distance, but of course it gets smaller as you move away. As long as all the blocks point the same way, it doesn't matter whether they are in a 16x16x16 cube, or whatever orientation of a 64x64 plane or 4096x1 line, the dipole moment is still 4096d, as all the blocks add up. Of course the very near field for those shapes will be different.

Now consider the 4096 magnets arranged as >>>>>>>><<<<<<<<. There is NO magnetic dipole, only a quadrapole field. The quadrapole field falls off faster than the dipole field. That's far less field to detect at any distance.

You can cancel the quadrapole field by an arrangement like this >>>><<<<<<<<>>>> leaving only a hexapole field, which falls off yet faster.

When magnets are shipped by freight, they are arranged in the box like this, or the 3D equivalent thereof, to cancel as much external field as possible, to protect peoples' cards and pacemakers, and so the box doesn't get stuck to forklift trucks! I've seen a forklift truck stuck to an MRI magnet before, which really slowed things down!

>>>>
<<<<
>>>>
<<<<

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: