Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Who has built an HHO generator?

Move Thread LAN_403
nzoomed
Sat Dec 10 2016, 08:55PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Im looking at building one to produce gas for welding and probably useful for other experiments also.

Im looking at using a dry plate cell, but others are also driving them with PWM, supposed to increase efficiency this way.

Any tips or advice would be great.
Carbon_Rod
Sat Dec 10 2016, 11:30PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
They require about 20% sodium hydroxide by weight with distilled water, and must use 50% alcohol in bubble chamber to reduce the flame temperature to usable levels. Oxyhydrogen torches are used to flame polish acrylic edges, and should not be used on metals for several reasons.
22 Ga stainless-steel dispenser needles work very well as tips, but the flow rate will vary on different machines.

These can be bought with a flash back arrester for about $300 delivered.
Link2

Note a small MIG wire-fed welder is probably better for anything metal, as we use the unit to simulate failing parts.

If you promise to stop using the crank term "HHO", I'd be happy to discuss our experience with its operation.
Cheers wink
nzoomed
Sun Dec 11 2016, 03:21AM
Actually, your right, alot of people seem to call it HHO, which seems to also be used as a pseudo science term a bit like browns gas, but thats what so many people call it, at the end if the day it just refers to the chemical mixture of gases (2 hydrogen and 1 Oxygen)
Ironically, the link you posted me quotes "HHO"

I know you need a beefy power supply to run a decent system, but its supposed to be excellent for welding and should be cheaper than oxy acetylene to run.

I saw them welding with it on a TV documentary on youtube, the guy was able to put the flame over his hand and it did not burn him, yet it would heat steel red hot almost instantly!

I find it interesting that you say you have to reduce the flame temperature to make it workable, yet some people claim that its not hot enough to weld most metals. I disagree with this, but I have read a bit about how hydrogen typically burns cooler than other gases.

I dont know what the story is with sodium hydroxide, not everyone uses it in their systems, supposed to make the water more conductive is it not?
Carbon_Rod
Sun Dec 11 2016, 04:58AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
"excellent for welding and should be cheaper than oxy acetylene to run."
Nope, it was actually an early welding technique used prior to oxy acetylene, and was replaced as hydrogen often can cause structural failures.
Link2

"the guy was able to put the flame over his hand and it did not burn him"
It was probably boiling off the surface layers of stupid... don't try this at home... the condensing trace sodium hydroxide will probably denature what remains. wink
Link2

"I find it interesting that you say you have to reduce the flame temperature to make it workable"
It can boil/burn/incinerate most metals, and is pretty useless for any sort of welding work.
The hottest zone in the flame is mostly in the UV spectrum apparently, and is thus invisible unless a contaminant is introduced.

"yet some people claim that its not hot enough to weld most metals."
No... most say you shouldn't use it for welding, and they would be right (see first link).

"I dont know what the story is with sodium hydroxide, not everyone uses it in their systems"
That is because they don't know how to balance a simple equation, read an MSDS, and are happy with a contaminated inefficient gas source.

Dr. Slack
Sun Dec 11 2016, 08:47AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
so to clarify ... this is generation of mixed gas, 2:1 H and O, and burning it at a tip, not separate H and O brought together in the flame?

I did once use (mis-use?) an old wet cell car battery to fill a bin bag of the stuff, to shoot firework rockets at from a distance (none hit, I finally had to attach a fuse to it, and then run, the bang was very satisfying).

I guess if the flame speed is low and gas flow high, then flash back can be avoided, but it sounds an easy thing to get wrong or let get out of adjustment.
nzoomed
Mon Dec 12 2016, 04:41AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

so to clarify ... this is generation of mixed gas, 2:1 H and O, and burning it at a tip, not separate H and O brought together in the flame?

I did once use (mis-use?) an old wet cell car battery to fill a bin bag of the stuff, to shoot firework rockets at from a distance (none hit, I finally had to attach a fuse to it, and then run, the bang was very satisfying).

I guess if the flame speed is low and gas flow high, then flash back can be avoided, but it sounds an easy thing to get wrong or let get out of adjustment.

To seperate oxygen and hydrogen with a typical dry plate cell or any other cell is pretty difficult.

The only way ive seen it done is with a U-Shape chamber made from PVC pipe with an electrode on each end, this is a very slow means of producing the gas, but you have the advantage of collecting the oxygen and hydrogen that builds up at each end, with most other cell designs all the gases are mixed together.

My science teacher fooled around with an interesting cell design made from several sizes of stainless pipe inside each other, I think it was called a joe cell.

It produced quite a bit of gas and we had lots of fun in science class filling balloons with it and igniting them in the classroom!

He also used it to power a small combustion engine.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: