Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

UD+ a new Universal Driver (now with Freewheeling)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Nov 30 2016, 03:56AM Print
Phillip Slawinski Registered Member #1732 Joined: Thu Oct 02 2008, 02:34PM
Steve Ward and I have created a new UD ... I call it the UD+ This is actually a rather old project. Steve finished his part (Schematic) back in 2013. I did the layout back then, but never got around to doing anything with the boards after they were ordered. It wasn't very interesting considering I had access to the UD3. I decided to dig up the project two weeks ago, so I started writing VHDL, and now it's working.

Features:
  • UVLO
  • Adjustable Pulse Width Limiter (can be disabled via dip switch)
  • OCD or Freewheeling (selected via dip switch)
  • Over-temp Lockout
  • Startup oscillator (with configurable number of startup cycles [1-32] via dip switch)
  • ST Fiber or bare fiber
  • Phase lead
  • 24VDC Input or AC input (similar to UD2)
  • Phase inversion (like the phase jumpers on UD2) via dip switch

9491874182 33c05978ec Z
This image is just to give an idea of what the board will look like. The board would be respun to fix errors in the first run, and update some things since it's been three years since this was made. The board that I assembled is super ugly because I had to do some kludge fixes to get it going, all that will be fixed, of course.

Here's a crappy video I made to demo the freewheeling:

I'm posting this here to see if anybody is interested in having one of these drivers. I'm thinking I'd probably sell boards with programmed CPLDs (or if you want to get your own programmer I'll make the VHDL available.)

So if there is any interest in this thing, I'll re-spin it and print boards. If not ... at least it was a fun project for a week.
Kizmo
Wed Nov 30 2016, 07:04AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Count me in as usual :)
Hydron
Wed Nov 30 2016, 08:19AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Hi Phillip,

If you're willing to share the schematic/VHDL (especially the latter) then that would be extremely useful to me. I'm in the middle of hacking up an existing controller board to add some programmable logic to it (right now a FPGA on a dev board, but probably going to be a CPLD if I lay out a custom PCB for my coil) and would be great to have some working reference code to get started with.

This is a great project for the community; it's been pretty obvious for a while that the UD2.x type driver would be much more flexible with the addition of programmable logic, even if it brings the pain of needing a programmer. I actually drew up a quick hack way in another thread Link2 recently to add freewheeling to a UD2.x, but with another 4 logic chips it's not an elegant solution, hence why I was going to go the programmable logic route myself.
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Nov 30 2016, 01:28PM
Hydron wrote ...

Hi Phillip,

If you're willing to share the schematic/VHDL (especially the latter) then that would be extremely useful to me. I'm in the middle of hacking up an existing controller board to add some programmable logic to it (right now a FPGA on a dev board, but probably going to be a CPLD if I lay out a custom PCB for my coil) and would be great to have some working reference code to get started with.

This is a great project for the community; it's been pretty obvious for a while that the UD2.x type driver would be much more flexible with the addition of programmable logic, even if it brings the pain of needing a programmer. I actually drew up a quick hack way in another thread Link2 recently to add freewheeling to a UD2.x, but with another 4 logic chips it's not an elegant solution, hence why I was going to go the programmable logic route myself.

Hydron,

Your post is what reminded me of the board I had done. smile

I'll be putting the whole project on GitHub once it's ready. The PCB project was done in Altium (not Eagle, sorry.) Hopefully the PCB will not be needing much change. And because the board has a CPLD, the logic can be changed quite easily with a programmer.

PM me your e-mail address if you'd like an advance copy of the VHDL. If you'd like the schematic I'll happily send that along as well, but it's really quite similar to the UD2, all the "magic" is in that little CPLD.

I'm sure you know this, but it's probably best to avoid FPGA for the final board for the reason that FPGAs generally require some initialization after power on, whereas with a CPLD the configuration is stable from power up.
Hydron
Wed Nov 30 2016, 01:35PM
Phillip Slawinski wrote ...

The PCB project was done in Altium (not Eagle, sorry.)
This makes me very happy, altium user myself (already converted UD2.5 from Eagle once to customise it for my own use, was not pretty!)

I agree that for something like this a CPLD is more suitable, I just happen to have a lattice MachXO2 dev board handy.

Will PM email address now.
Finn Hammer
Thu Dec 01 2016, 06:36AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Allthough I am working, with the left hand, on applying Hydrons UD2.7 pulse skipping mod, and feel compelled to finish it, I am also interested in supporting these new boards.
Put me up for a couple.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Hydron
Thu Dec 01 2016, 10:30AM
I think it's good for people to be trying it both ways.

The CPLD solution that Phillip is working on is the most elegant way to go, but if the discrete logic method also works then I think it would be good to have both options, as some people may find it hard or expensive to get a CPLD and/or programmer.
Phillip Slawinski
Thu Dec 01 2016, 02:30PM
Hydron wrote ...

I think it's good for people to be trying it both ways.

The CPLD solution that Phillip is working on is the most elegant way to go, but if the discrete logic method also works then I think it would be good to have both options, as some people may find it hard or expensive to get a CPLD and/or programmer.

Agreed. It is nice to have both versions. Using the discrete logic chips means that you "program" the board with a soldering iron, so it's ready to go as soon as it's assembled. On the other hand, while the CPLD adds another step, it affords far greater flexibility. You can make the board to do something completely different by simply changing the programming of the CPLD.

For the initial offering I'm going to try and offer programmed CPLDs to people who want them. I already have a TQFP44 ZIF socket, which hopefully I can wire up to program the CPLD without having to install it on the board. If not, I can just solder the CPLD to the board and provide power via the programming cable.
Thomas W
Thu Dec 01 2016, 07:44PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Nice work here! :)

If you use an Altera CPLD, the programmer can be brought on Ebay for a few pounds / dollars. MAX V series are nice, cheap as... well, chips!
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Dec 07 2016, 04:52AM
So the re-spin is pretty much done now. Just a few little things to wrap up. Here's what the new board looks like.

31258900612 Fb707f932f B

31288354541 68b4b34d3c B

Most of the changes are power related. I've replaced the LDOs for 3.3V and 5V with switching supplies. I've changed the 24V regulator to a D2PAK, and added load options for DC input (with polarity protection).

I also have made a "special" footprint for the inductor. I still have a few of the "OG" inductors that Steve spec'd for the UD2.0 waaaay back in 2009, and I don't have any desire to get the new slot 7. That said, I had a request to accommodate the slot 7, so I've made a sort of compromise. The inductor slots are sized to accommodate the pin receptacles used on the UD2.7.

This board is designed to work with XC2C64A CPLD, instead of the XC9572XL. Also ... I have testpoints peppered all over the board, so debugging should be a little easier.

I think I'll probably have boards printed in a week or two. If there are any suggestions, let me know.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: