All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Big Multistage Coilgun in Progress

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Fri Nov 10 2006, 10:41PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
okay here we go. a week ago i started my big multistage Coilgun project. i dont want to break any efficiency records here but my goal is to get a very high velocity of around 130m/s- 150m/s. the finished accelerator will have 10 or more stages,.

here is one of around 40 testcoils i´ll make for this big project

Finalcgcoilklein

for every coil the most important data is printed on a small piece of paper, inductance, dc resistance, wire gauge, turns, layers etc. the barrel is a 11,5mm polypropylene tube with an inner diameter of 9mm (for 8mm steel rods 4cm in lenght) every coil will have the same sizes but many different layers, turns wire gauges etc.
i thought of 200joules per stage so 2kj for 10 stages. my hope is to get an overall efficiency of around 4-5% to accelerate a 11 gram steel rod to 130m/s.. i calculated some things out and began with a new high velocity optical triggering system. i simulated everything in SWCad and it seems that even with a projectile that is flying with 400m/s through the fotogate, i can produce a single pulse to turn the SCR on. i added a delay feature on the fotogate to delay the pulse from the fototransistor for a adjustable time of 0-around 2mS. that will solve some problems with high velocity coilguns. every coil has a point where the projectile should be when the coil switches on. but you cant mount a fotogate at this place so you place the fotogate as near as possible to this point. when the projectile switches the fotogate the scr turns on but the projectile is on the wrong place . but with this circuit you can adjust the time and "wait" for the projectile to reach the right place to turn the SCR on.
first tests with the new coils showed an efficiency of around 3-4% with a 2000yf 250volt capacitor, and thats very good for a SCR switch.

here is the shematic and simulation of the new fotogate circuit.
Link2
the simulation shows the fastest scenario. the blue line is the gate voltage of the fototransistor,. the ir beam is blocked for about 150µs which stands for a projectile speed of 400m/s when the projectile is 5cm long. the green line is the output voltage without delaying. by afjusting R3 from 500ohms to 10k ohms you can delay the output voltage to a max of 2mS , the pulselenght is adjustable with R7..
okay its not digital, but i wanted the whole electronic directly on the fotogate pcb that fits on the coil..

here is another scenario with a delay of around 1,3ms. the fotogate is blocked for 2,5ms which stands for 20m/s when the projectile is 5cm long
Link2

More to come soon, finished some coils and calculated some things and everything looks promising, buyed 500 SCRs with 600V 120A iPk confused and many IR Diodes and fototransistors.
TheMerovingian
Sat Nov 11 2006, 11:00PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
Looks like a clean design
remember to play with pulsetimes decreasing inductance/resistance or capacitance of stages
Reaching
Tue Nov 14 2006, 05:55AM
My SCRs arrived yesterday and i made a few tests with them, they are exactly what i need. i changed the photogate shematic a bit, now i can adjust the delaytime between 0-700µS and adjust the on time pulse too. the new photogate works with 5 volts and is very sensitive, exactly what i need, that was a lot of calculating and simulating until i got right.

for those who are interested. Link2

and here are only 100 of 500 Scrs i got yesterday, Link2
Tue Nov 14 2006, 06:03AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Wow, that is a lot of SCR's suprised Why didn't you invest in a brick or two?

In any case, is it just me or does it seem like you are kind of overdesigning this... You are only using 200J per stage, but you are using really thick wire and tons of SCR's... I am thinking of hooking a 200J (for lasers) bank up to a little coil I made arround a 1/4" former with like #20 wire...

w00t 777th post, exactly the number of posts I made on the 'old' 4hv suprised
Reaching
Tue Nov 14 2006, 05:30PM
no, this multistage CG is designed to experiment with, to add or change components quickly so its well to overdesign it a bit. i got the scrs very cheap on ebay , i payed only around 80$ for 500Scrs . i sell 300 of them in my Forum to limit the costs for me cause i dont need 500 of them. and i dont know how much energy i finally put into each stage,. it can be 200 joules or it can be 800 joules, just what i want to put into it. each component is designed for quick changing, each coil, each capacitor and each other part. everything is mounted on a large aluminium U Profile with holes at the bottom to screw on the coils and fotogates, sensoring etc. and if i loose the interest on a big multistage i can easily use two or three coils to build a portable pistol or something. i can use the whole equipment for every CG related experiment.

you must not see this as one big project, its more like every single coil, every sensor and every cap bank is a whole project on its own wink

and why do you think i use very thick wire, as seen on the picture its only 1,1mm wire and its only 1 coil of many coils i´ll build for this project, and as described above, with different layers, turns, wire gauge etc
Reaching
Sat Nov 18 2006, 04:40PM
finished a few more Coils today and made some more coil supports with holes for the phototransistors and diodes. build the first 2 fotogates and assembled one of them on a coil. looks like this

Link2
Link2

works very good and is very accurat. i drilled a 3mm hole through the barrel and the coilformer and drilled it on both sides to 5mm to fit the diodes in it. so i have a fotogate which switches within this 3mm. the pot is to adjust the delay between switching point and pulse point (when the output goes high)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: