All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Plasma Glass

Move Thread LAN_403
alan sailer
Thu Nov 10 2016, 12:20AM
alan sailer Registered Member #59110 Joined: Mon Apr 11 2016, 04:35PM
A few friends and I where hiking last Sunday when the subject of current flow in a plasma tube came up. I've been telling them about my recent adventures making plasma stuff so it's not completely random.

I've known for some time that I have no detailed explanation as to how a plasma tube with an ungrounded end works.

Here is the set-up. A glass tube filled with low pressure gas has an electrode wrapped around the outside. This electrode is connected to a high voltage high frequency AC power source. This AC potential on the surface of the glass will induce an alternating layer of charge on the inside of the glass, like a capacitor with only one electrode. If the voltage gets high enough inside the glass tube the glass will break down and start to conduct.

This is the point at which things get foggy to me. Break down to what? I have read vague explanations about the environment around the glass acting like a virtual capacitor but would like to get more detailed than this. Does a distributed current flow through the entire glass surface out into the air?

It's experimentally obvious that placing a (sort of) grounded object (like a human hand) will cause an increase in the current flow through the glass. We have seen this many times with a commercial plasma ball.

Any plausible explanation is welcome. If it can be verified by an easy experiment, even better.

Cheers.
Sulaiman
Thu Nov 10 2016, 06:01AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Link2
Uspring
Thu Nov 10 2016, 01:01PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
The electric field outside goes to some extent into the tube and will wiggle free electrons there. They will then hit neutral gas atoms, which will ionise, i.e. strip electrons from them, if the field is strong enough. These ions will then recombine with the electrons and emit light.

alan sailer
Fri Nov 11 2016, 12:37AM
alan sailer Registered Member #59110 Joined: Mon Apr 11 2016, 04:35PM
Sulaiman,

Thanks for the link. However I'm not sure that it answers the question I have ie What is the complete circuit of a plasma tube/ball?

The displacement current certainly explains how the current gets from the outside electrode to the inner section. And at that point is will create an electric field that, when it reaches a high enough level, will break down the gas inside the tube. But where does the current go when it breaks down?

Like I wrote earlier the only explanation I've read before is that there is a mysterious grounded capacitor around the tube that completes the circuit. If this is true why doesn't this virtual capacitor just steal the current from the outer electrode and keep the tube from lighting up at all?

Cheers.
2Spoons
Fri Nov 11 2016, 02:09AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
If this is true why doesn't this virtual capacitor just steal the current from the outer electrode and keep the tube from lighting up at all?

It does take current from the outer electrode. It just can't take all of it. Consider the situation as two parallel capacitors - they will share the current in proportion to their capacitance.
You also have to remember that the voltage source has a very low impedance compared to these small capacitances - in other words its capable of supplying far more current than is required to light the tube.
Physikfan
Fri Nov 11 2016, 08:38AM
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
Hi alan sailer

I have seen a pulsed excimer laser beam (UV, invisible) focussed by a quartz lens, f was about 30 cm.
Around the focus I could see real sparks in the air comparable to sparks generated by a small induction coil.
But no electrodes!
If the electric field is high enough it can produce a big number of ions and free charges in the air. As a consequence you get also discharges in the free air.

See also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HHJhpStza0
Uspring
Fri Nov 11 2016, 09:45AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Alan Sailer wrote:

But where does the current go when it breaks down?
Currents are moving charges. There are charge carriers inside the gas, which will move back and forth due to the oscillating field. This is a current which does not require conductor connecting to it.
This is similar to the arcs of Tesla coils, which can end in mid air.

In the case of a DC field positive charge carriers will pile up on side of the tube and negative ones on the other. This will eventually create a field opposite to the external one and cancel it. From there on there will be no more current.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: