Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla coil suits

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Wed Sept 14 2016, 06:22PM Print
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hi all

I would like to invite you all to share how you made your suits, helmets, gloves, leggings, boots, everything that is necessary in order to go into meter long sparks and still walk out on the other side.

Please describe from inner to outer, like...

Do you use flame retarded inners? Leather padding? Regular middleage reinactment inners?

Do you wear any insulating layers? Rubber? Line man gear?

How do you treat your metallic parts? Just with WD40 as most reinacters do?

Where did you source materials? Did you buy it all? Did you weave every piece of the chain mail yourself?

edit: I will add my own plan after first reply, as to avoid double posting and keep this main post free of contribution.
Finn Hammer
Wed Sept 14 2016, 08:42PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Mads, Don't use chainmail, it is heavy and expensive. Use knit wire mesh instead, it is easy to sow on an ordinary sowing machine, and not overly expensive.
I buy mine in China, and have good results with a custom made variety with 8 wires @0,1mm in each loop that is 3x5mm. And it is stainless, so no need for WD40 smile
I use it here:
Link2
sorry for the tilted video.
I use ordinary clothes below, and would like to progress towards "concealed carry", where an ordinary suit fits over the mesh. Would look cool, I think.
It is not easy to put things on fire with a tesla coil, so don´t worry too much.
Gloves are chainmail, up to now, but even these can be had knitted, and they are much nicer, and 1/4 the price.

Cheers, Finn Hammer,

(we should get together one day)
Mads Barnkob
Fri Sept 16 2016, 09:13AM
Just the weight of chainmail is certainly not in its favor, but then it comes to sturdiness it is superior :) Not a bad thing if someone attacked your with an axe while you were dancing in sparks.

I got a cheap, because it was slightly damaged (ripped 4 places), chainmail and it only took me a couple of hours to repair it back in original condition.

I also have some square meters, or more of stainless steel filter from food industry, it does however seem a little too stiff to sew into a suit, it is properly too fine a mesh.

Concealed suit would indeed be cool, I have not put much on fire with a Tesla coil, but the flaming piece of wood seen in some videos makes me want to test things thoroughly before wielding it.

Do you have some sources for the knitted gloves / other parts that you could share?

I am still up for meeting, Teslathon at Elmuseet or whatever we can arrange :)
1474017201 1403 FT177845 Dsc 1093

1474017201 1403 FT177845 Dsc 1097
Hydron
Fri Sept 16 2016, 11:31AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Talking of burning wood, I burnt the top of a plant without even hitting it with a streamer, just by coupling RF into it (was quite close to the topload, on non-breakout point side). Obviously was carrying a fair bit of displacement current in a high-resistance woody part of the stem and it burnt and fell off.

Maybe it's an issue when something is more conductive than air, but resistive enough to heat up a lot from streamer current.

Would suggest natural fibres (well, something not particularly flammable) if anyone tries "concealed carry"!
Finn Hammer
Fri Sept 16 2016, 04:46PM
Mads,

These will do fine!

Link2

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Mads Barnkob
Fri Sept 16 2016, 06:51PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Mads,

These will do fine!

Link2

Cheers, Finn Hammer

I really wanted longer sleeves, so I ordered these: Link2

I bought these, just because they are so cheap, worth checking out how much metal is actually weaved into it.: Link2

Chainmail hoods are cheaper than I thought, so considering this: Link2

I might also just go with a large "bird cage" style home made from chicken wire...

Pants could be done with my stainless mesh and properly the same for the boots.

Did you consider adding isolators to your shoes, I noticed Terry has on his, I assume this is to avoid getting welded to metallic surfaces?

Finn Hammer
Fri Sept 16 2016, 09:37PM
Mads,

You bought wisely!

About soles of Link2 I did get burned a bit playing with Thumper (that beast! smile ), nothing serious but enough to draw attention, so in the future, I will add sheet metal soles as contact from sole to stocking. Just to avoid standing on that single arc to ground and increase the surface of contact.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
nzoomed
Fri Sept 16 2016, 11:06PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
I thought adding isolators to the shoes was more for visual effect, as the sparks would jump off the feet to the ground?

As far as fire risks go, i would say its pretty low, but i did notice that with my coil that the breakout point was melting with hot sparks dropping off the electrode on my coil.

Dont know if this could melt very fine wire mesh or not.

Either way, i was going to see if i could get some chain mail from some medieval re-enacting group.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Oct 18 2016, 06:21PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

I bought these, just because they are so cheap, worth checking out how much metal is actually weaved into it.: Link2

Chainmail hoods are cheaper than I thought, so considering this: Link2

So the cheap China gloves does not contain any metal at all, it is just sales bullshit, when I found they did not contain any I sliced a finger off the glove with a kitchen knife without problems, these are not even worth considering for anything :)

The chain mail hood is however very nice and fits the chain mail hauberk perfectly :)
Finn Hammer
Tue Oct 18 2016, 06:47PM
Don't worry Mads, those cheap ones were too good to be true.
The long ones Link2 will be fine, rest assured of that!

Cheers, Finn Hammer
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: