All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lightweight air core transformer?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Robert Clark
Fri Aug 12 2016, 03:22AM Print
Robert Clark Registered Member #58454 Joined: Thu Feb 18 2016, 06:33AM
I'm researching the ionocraft, commonly called a "lifter":

Link2

These require tens of thousands of volts. Usually heavy iron cored transformers are used to create the high voltages. But this means the power supply is heavy and the ionocraft can't lift them.
But how lightweight can an air cored transformer be? Less than 1 gram weight per watt power output would be ideal.

Bob Clark
Sulaiman
Fri Aug 12 2016, 09:33AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
have you looked here ? Link2

a few random thoughts;

how will you stabilise a free-floating lifter ?
could you consider a helium baloon to neutralise most of the weight, and give stability?

copper wire is dense, consider aluminium or carbon ?

how will you remotely control the power?

I believe that the power-to-weight ratio of a high frequency ferrite=cored transformer is better than air-cored,

everyone knows that UFOs get their power from the mothership,
maybe 'wireless power transfer' is practical at short-range?

Robert Clark
Fri Aug 12 2016, 01:14PM
Thanks for the response. That link you provided is one that all researchers on the lifters have read. In that page, like with all other researchers, they use iron cored transformers to get the high voltage. But these are too heavy for the lifters to raise.

You can stabilize the lifter by actively varying the angles of the collector plates at the bottom.

The air core transformers look light to me because all they consist of is wires, no iron core. But perhaps this results in low power efficiency.

I was not aware you could get a high frequency iron core transformer. I thought air cored was used for that.

Do you have an example of an iron core that can get better than 1 watt per gram power to weight ratio?

Bob Clark
Mads Barnkob
Fri Aug 12 2016, 01:56PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
You would have to build a high frequency high voltage switch mode power supply, that could use a small planar high voltage transformer with multiplier stages after.

High frequency implies that you do not use iron core transformers anymore, but ferrite cores of different material composition depending on your switching frequency. But you are properly most likely to be with the spectrum of MnZn cores.
Finn Hammer
Sat Aug 13 2016, 05:13AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Robert,

It would help a lot if you would come forward and describe what you want the lifter to do, for example: "I want to build a lifter that can fly by itself and be remotely controlled".

Since you are so concerned about the weight of the power supply, I assume that you want to float it on the lifter.
Is this a correct assumption?.
In that case, you also have to float the power source, batteries, they are heavy too. Have you considered that?
And grounding of that power supply? Drag a ground wire after the lifter?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Robert Clark
Sat Aug 13 2016, 06:46AM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Robert,
It would help a lot if you would come forward and describe what you want the lifter to do, for example: "I want to build a lifter that can fly by itself and be remotely controlled".
Since you are so concerned about the weight of the power supply, I assume that you want to float it on the lifter.
Is this a correct assumption?.
In that case, you also have to float the power source, batteries, they are heavy too. Have you considered that?
And grounding of that power supply? Drag a ground wire after the lifter?

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Thanks for the response. Yes, I want a lifter that can fly independently without being attached to a power supply left on the ground. This would be a completely new, practical form of transportation. Silent, with no moving parts, completely emission free.

I have looked at the batteries part of the equation. Surprisingly, high power density batteries do exist. They are used for example for radio controlled airplanes and helicopters where you need high power at lightweight to drive the propellers or rotors. I've seen battery power(watts) to weight(grams) ratios of better than 10 to 1, i.e., these batteries can put out more than 100 watts of power at only a 10 gram weight.

Since the lifters can raise in the range of 1 gram in weight, i.e., the thrust, per 1 watt of power input, this would be well within the requirements to get an independently flying lifter.

It's the high voltage power supply that is the stumbling block to getting them to fly independently. Do a google image search on "lifters", "power supply", and "high voltage". You'll see the lifters are quite light, in the range of a few grams, but the power supplies are large and heavy in the range of a few kilograms.

Bob Clark
Finn Hammer
Sat Aug 13 2016, 09:02AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Bob,
When The typical power supply is heavy like a brick, it is only because The Random experimenter does not know better.
Try to have a look at The supply nested inside a taser stick, The small handheld units that advertise megavolts, but dont deliver close to that, still, rectify, and you might be flying.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Sulaiman
Sat Aug 13 2016, 09:04AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
can you specify the eht psu a little better ?
e.g. voltage and current and weight required

I suspect that mechanical movements to achieve stability is a poor choice because
. it will add significantly to the overall weight
. the craft will no longer have no moving parts
. for a triangular lifter you could use three separate inverters with variable outputs

Finn : I believe that there is no need for an earth wire,
it is just the p.d. between corona wire and the rest that is required
Robert Clark
Sat Aug 13 2016, 01:49PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

can you specify the eht psu a little better ?
e.g. voltage and current and weight required
I suspect that mechanical movements to achieve stability is a poor choice because
. it will add significantly to the overall weight
. the craft will no longer have no moving parts
. for a triangular lifter you could use three separate inverters with variable outputs
Finn : I believe that there is no need for an earth wire,
it is just the p.d. between corona wire and the rest that is required

The specs of the lifters built by one lab are here:

Link2

You see the best thrust to power they could manage was about 1 gram thrust per watt of power. For instance the basic triangular Super Cell V1.0 lifter listed there got .15N thrust, about 15 gram-force, using 14 watts of input power.

This particular one used rather higher voltage though of 54 kV. So the amperage was 14W/54,000kV = 0.25 mA.

Bob Clark
Robert Clark
Sat Aug 13 2016, 01:55PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Bob,
When The typical power supply is heavy like a brick, it is only because The Random experimenter does not know better.
Try to have a look at The supply nested inside a taser stick, The small handheld units that advertise megavolts, but dont deliver close to that, still, rectify, and you might be flying.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

I think these work by using capacitors which are known to be able to put out high power but only for a short pulse for a few seconds. We need a power supply to work for several minutes continuous.

Bob Clark
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: