Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Any advice with this schematic

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Neukyhm
Sun Jul 17 2016, 05:50PM Print
Neukyhm Registered Member #57520 Joined: Thu Oct 15 2015, 11:21PM
Hi, I'm new here, I'm looking for advice with a tesla coil. Here is the schematic.

1468776340 57520 FT0 Img 0661

I will use two MOTs, expecting to achieve the same performance as redruM69 with his TC
Note: My secondary and toroid are much bigger. I will use AWG27. How many turns, 1200? would 1800 be better? The tube's diameter of the secondary is 11 cm.

I'm not sure if the spark gap will be static (w/ fan) or rotatory, tell me what's better. Also, I don't know the specs of the capacitor bank. I already have these
Can I make the capacitor bank with those capacitors? What would be the total microfarads needed?
And about the design, I have some questions: is it better to have the spark gap and capacitor bank that way or switched? Does the end of the secondary go to the same earth as the mains? because I think It's not a good idea to connect a high voltage transformer to the same earth where you have an expensive PC. You know, RAMs don't like high voltage.

Thank you in advance.
Neukyhm
Tue Jul 26 2016, 05:11PM
I will begin to build it soon, please 4hv users say something. I have used JavaTC and it says I sould use a 20nf capacitor with the primary, so I have planned to use two of these: Link2
Benjamin
Tue Jul 26 2016, 07:13PM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
You should match the capacitor size to the power supply first, 20 nf is way too small for 2 mots without a doubler. You would need more like 100-200 nf to achieve 5 foot sparks. However, my rotary spark gap dual mot coil uses a simple half wave voltage doubler made from 4 microwave diodes and 2 microwave capacitors feeding into a 50 nf cap bank and it has achieved a 5 foot strike from only a 3.5 by 20 inch coil! I suggest that you look through this site Link2 and use this design Link2 It works very well! Also, the ceramic capacitors Cf are unnecessary but use four diodes.
Neukyhm
Tue Jul 26 2016, 08:05PM
Benjamin wrote ...

You should match the capacitor size to the power supply first, 20 nf is way too small for 2 mots without a doubler. You would need more like 100-200 nf to achieve 5 foot sparks.
So can I use a voltage doubler and two or three of these as main capacitor? Link2

I'm asking this because I see people building big and complex MMC with a big number of capacitors to achieve for example 40nf when they could be using a capacitor like that one.
Benjamin
Tue Jul 26 2016, 10:01PM
First off, I'm no expert in making MMC's so hopefully someone else will chime in, but I'm not sure if those capacitors are good for a tesla coil. good caps have a metallized polypropylene dielectric and a very high pulse current rating like the CDE 942C20P15K caps that everyone uses which are 0.15uf and 2000V. If you can get those ones you're in good shape but they're pretty pricey. I use 2 strings of 6 of them which is pushing it a little (not enough strings in parallel to handle the current and they get warm after a while) so I'm probably going to upgrade to 3 strings of 8 soon. Anyways there's not much information about those capacitors and just because they say tesla coil does not mean that they are good for a coil. maybe someone else knows more about those caps but if it where me I would save up and get the good ones.
Neukyhm
Thu Aug 11 2016, 06:41AM
Thanks Benjamin, finally I will use two strings of 6x 942C20P15K-F caps, for a total 50nf at 12 KV, working with two MOTs in stack. Maybe one day I will upgrade it with a voltage doubler but for now just the MOTs.

Note: Benjamin, what about using a heatsink with the caps?
Benjamin
Tue Aug 16 2016, 03:42AM
Using a heat sink will do absolutely nothing, the best thing that you can do is have lots of airflow (but you don't need a fan, I don't have one) and keep the runtime down to less than a few minutes and it will be perfectly fine. Lastly you don't seem understand how much of a difference the doubler will make, it is nothing vs everything. The only way that the one in that video works without a doubler is with a massive (read expensive) capacitor bank and a very heavy duty high speed rotary gap. with a doubler you can get good performance with just a sucker gap and all you need to make it is two microwave caps (witch you should have already) and some diodes.
Neukyhm
Sat Aug 20 2016, 01:43AM
But Benjamin, I thought that the primary was supposed to work with as low voltage but as high intensity you can get from the MOTs, mostly because of Faraday's law.
Benjamin
Mon Aug 22 2016, 05:14PM
Yes, but to get a tesla coil to work properly with low voltage and high current you need a very beefy rotary spark gap to quench the spark. It can work but it is very hard to do. What are you using for a spark gap?
Neukyhm
Mon Aug 22 2016, 07:13PM
I'm planning to use this: Link2

I will need some tungsten electrodes, and maybe a variac to change the speed. I'm still looking for other motors. I have a big one I disassembled from a shredder:

1471892968 57520 FT177321 Img 0909

It says AC230V/50Hz=>DC. I disassembled it too and I found that it has brushes, so it must be a DC motor. I still could not find a rectifier circuit inside the shredder.

Edit: can it be an AC motor with brushes? Now I'm not so sure since I have seen that the other one from ebay has brushes too, and it is AC. I'm not an expert on motors.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: