All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

40W CO2 laser gun

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
zrg
Mon Jun 20 2016, 03:48AM Print
zrg Registered Member #4762 Joined: Sun May 06 2012, 05:59PM

A rather simple way to get much more fun out of cheap Chinese CO2 laser is making it portable. I was too lazy (and lacking some necessary skills) to make this project smooth, but this thing still didn't fell apart after several weeks and proved itself quite useful to light up a fireplace in my house shades
The laser resonator is enclosed in acrylic tube and fixed with polycarbonate circles.
Water cooling is done with small 5w 12v pump and a water tank with no fans or radiators, so long runs are not recommended (however they won't be possible due to small battery capacitance).
High voltage comes from a pushpull, custom AC flyback transformer and a voltage doubler, which are powered by an RC Li-ion battery (11.1V 3700mah), which provides ~5 minutes runtime which is more than enough to have fun. Drain current from the battery is ~20A. Perhaps the pushpull can be replaced with any proper ZVS module from ebay/aliexpress, which could make this even more simple.
The handle is just a simple slingshot with power-on button attached.

Aiming is a bit tricky, but I'm planning to add a red dot laser scope to make it easier.

Effective range of lighting fire from dry wood is about 2-3 meters (within time range of 0.5-2 seconds). Adding a ZnSe lens to the output decreases the range to 50 mm, but focus becomes a hot spot, melting all the hard stuff (ceramics, stones, glass, quartz, even thin steel, like shaving blades or paper knife edge) and cutting organics just like a proper CO2 CNC.

The last photo shows some interesting effect: its freon (R22) flowing from the hose into laser beam and burning in the focal point. Freons show uncommon property for gases: they absorb far infrared, so it ignites easily. Don't inhale the products, they are really not tasty.

I am trying to make a nice video about this laser gun, but, again, I'm too lazy and lacking skills for that, so only photos for the time being.

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7903

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7896

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7925

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7919

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7870

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7922

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7898

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7882

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 9015

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7962

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7950

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7935

1466394450 4762 FT0 Img 7887

DO NOT TRY TO MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BY YOURSELF. HERE ARE LASERS INVOLVED, LASERS ARE DANGEROUS. DO NOT LOOK INTO THE BEAM WITH REMAINING EYE. LIVING IS DANGEROUS TOO, PEOPLE SOMETIMES BECOME DEAD IN THE END OF THEIR LIFE. BETTER RUN AWAY SCREAMING NOW.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Jun 20 2016, 04:23AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
One thing you should not be lazy about is F*****G EYE PROTECTION.

I am all for wanton destruction, but PROTECT YOUR EYES! ITS A LASER!
zrg
Mon Jun 20 2016, 05:13AM
40W sounds much, but this is not visible light. The only real damage it can apply is overheating your eyeball if you've managed to stabilise it in the beam somehow (which will be homemade laser optical surgery, by the way). Moreover, it is being reflected only by metal objects. It seems to me that there is very little chance a beam pointed at the wooden wall would find a metal object there and reflect just into my eye.

However, I find your notice important enough in general way, so I thank you for paying attention to safety rules, but mine and colleagues experience is sufficient to understand what we do and to have conscious understanding of things we work with, so you can relax, no one was hurt, no one would be, and if he is, your warning and/or worrying after me won't have any effect on preventing this from happening in any way.
Thomas W
Mon Jun 20 2016, 07:00AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
zrg wrote ...

40W sounds much, but this is not visible light. The only real damage it can apply is overheating your eyeball if you've managed to stabilise it in the beam somehow (which will be homemade laser optical surgery, by the way). Moreover, it is being reflected only by metal objects. It seems to me that there is very little chance a beam pointed at the wooden wall would find a metal object there and reflect just into my eye.

However, I find your notice important enough in general way, so I thank you for paying attention to safety rules, but mine and colleagues experience is sufficient to understand what we do and to have conscious understanding of things we work with, so you can relax, no one was hurt, no one would be, and if he is, your warning and/or worrying after me won't have any effect on preventing this from happening in any way.

Yes, but is it worth leaving any chance on such a thing?

Link2

Please, read that fully. I did and it quickly got me to sell off the 70W DDPS laser brick I had brought without testing it.
zrg
Mon Jun 20 2016, 07:42AM
I can only fully duplicate my previous answer to that.
Shrad
Mon Jun 20 2016, 08:14AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I have some knowledge and operation time also, but it didn't protect me from scatter and I have some spots on my retina and/or top layers of the crystalline

IR light at power levels higher than 500mW can burn patches when direct reflection or scatter occurs... at power levels of more than 1-5W scatter from combustion can also occur since some fumes and some combustion byproducts can also shine back a significant amount of light

the wavelengths over 1500nm are for sure not easily reaching your retina, but can and will produce patches on your crystalline if the power is high enough

also pay attention that chinese CO2 lasers are not always only producing the 10.600nm wavelength and that there are other lower range emission peaks for CO2

that's never a bad idea to use protective goggles, and CO2 goggles are cheap as the wavelength is easily blocked by crude glass

I had OD5 and OD7+ goggles for green + IR and still have had a burn or two, so please consider safety
Justin
Mon Jun 20 2016, 11:36AM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
I've thought about doing this with a spare tube I have, glad to see someone actually did it though, nice work.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Jun 20 2016, 03:06PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
zrg, you can do whatever you want, but realize that this is a community and when we post something that someone else is going to duplicate, THEY can hurt themselves because of a lack of experience.

Recently a young boy was killed making a Jachob's ladder out of a MOT. The forum is not responsible for this, but as a source of information it is used by all as a guide, and without respect for the things we play with, people have been and do get hurt or killed.

FWIW, I have burnt lots of magnesium, made carbon arc lights, played with stick welding, and regularly use a torch, but you know, you only get one set of eyes and one accident happens very quickly and I need my eyes for my job.
I am 37 now and more cautious and AWARE of what I am doing and what impact it might have.
Patrick
Mon Jun 20 2016, 04:15PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Awesomly cool ! but it shouldnt be difficult to find the spectrum of emission and find a material to attenuate it to protect your vision. There might be side colors in the IR and UV side your not aware of.

nice use of a RC LiPo battery !
zrg
Mon Jun 20 2016, 07:20PM
Hazmatt, thank you very much for your responsibility. This is a great example of making this world a better place to live. I added a warning in the end of original post to prevent any unfortunate events that may be caused by some young boys going to duplicate something dangerous described here.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: