All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How to regulate Mazzilli ZVS driver?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Molenaar
Wed Jun 15 2016, 07:21PM Print
Molenaar Registered Member #60260 Joined: Fri May 27 2016, 06:35PM
For development of an electrostatic headphone amplifier, I want to regulate a Mazzilli ZVS driver driving an CRT Flyback to ~1 kV. What would be the best way to do this?

I thought of two ways:
-Separating gate drive and power input voltage and adjusting the power input voltage with a high power buck controller
-Introduce pulse skipping by using a JFET to prevent the next pulse from starting when the secondary voltage exceeds a threshold

I'm not sure what would be the best way for feedback, a separate winding on the flyback or optocoupled from the HV side.

But maybe I'm barking upon the wrong tree and I'm missing the obvious and easy way to do this. Please enlighten me if so! smile
woodchuck
Wed Jun 15 2016, 09:45PM
woodchuck Registered Member #39190 Joined: Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM
FWIW, there certainly are smaller and cheaper ways to generate 1kVDC. They are also quieter (in terms of both ripple and EMI).
Sulaiman
Thu Jun 16 2016, 02:21AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I would consider the power source first, which may determine your design.
I guess 5V USB or 3v6 lithium, and of course as effcient as practically achievable.
I'm out-of-touch but something like a regulated flyback h.v. + SiC modulating transistor ??
Molenaar
Thu Jun 16 2016, 07:01AM
woodchuck wrote ...

FWIW, there certainly are smaller and cheaper ways to generate 1kVDC. They are also quieter (in terms of both ripple and EMI).

Probably, but I would like the supply to scale to ~10 kV, for if I decide to use it for large panel speakers. However, I'm interested in alternate topologies. What would you suggest here?

Sulaiman wrote ...

I would consider the power source first, which may determine your design.
I guess 5V USB or 3v6 lithium, and of course as effcient as practically achievable.
I'm out-of-touch but something like a regulated flyback h.v. + SiC modulating transistor ??

An old laptop power brick was my first idea, but both Li-ion batteries and usb would be nice as well.
Adrenaline
Thu Jun 16 2016, 12:50PM
Adrenaline Registered Member #235 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 04:59PM
Your first idea is how it is generally done in literature.
Using a buck converter to effectively limit the dc-link voltage.

Search for "current-fed push-pull resonant inverter"

You can also use 2 dc-link inductors in series with the transformer winding, instead of using 1 dc-link inductor and center-tappingthe transformer. This has been demonstrated on this site and in many papers.
Molenaar
Sun Jun 19 2016, 11:44AM
The CRT flyback I use has a center tap, so I will stick to one DC-link inductor.

How does load influence the secondary voltage?
Patrick
Sun Jun 19 2016, 05:23PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Molenaar wrote ...

How does load influence the secondary voltage?
This is a complicated question. But a small flyback from a small TV like the portable ones, or 8" screen one, would supply more than 10kV, which could then be dialed back for 10kV at you desired current. I would think that electrostatic stuff doesnt work well at just 1kV, but that depends of course.

These previous projects of mine may help. They're over kill at 46 and 52kV, but layout the issues for you. Feedback regulation is definitely possible. I recommend optical feedback, though i haven't mastered it myself, the feedback winding on a common core has poor cross-regulation issues in your application.

Link2 Pulse Frequency Modulated (PFM) Flyback Transformer.

If it is 1kV, then use an inductor or normal transformer at high frequency and feedback regulation.

I reallly dont do the "Mazilli / ZVS / ZCS" thing so my experience is mostly with conventional switching SMPS.

Molenaar
Tue Jun 21 2016, 06:13PM
I don't know whether 1 kV will be enough, but my valves can handle 20 kV, so scaling should be fine. I also have a pulsed power rated 40 kV rated capacitor which could stabilize the output.

Why does a feedback winding have poor performance in this case? I was hoping to be able to use feedback from a dedicated winding and feed it to the buck converter which supplies the ZVS driver.

I could also use a resistor divider (I have 10 200 Meg 7,5 kV resistors) for feedback from the secondary, but I'm weary of relatively high power dissipation that way, since all current used by the feedback element (e.g. Led driven by voltage to frequency converter) will also pass through the HV resistors.
Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2016, 07:10PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Molenaar wrote ...

I don't know whether 1 kV will be enough, but my valves can handle 20 kV, so scaling should be fine. I also have a pulsed power rated 40 kV rated capacitor which could stabilize the output.

Why does a feedback winding have poor performance in this case? I was hoping to be able to use feedback from a dedicated winding and feed it to the buck converter which supplies the ZVS driver.

I could also use a resistor divider (I have 10 200 Meg 7,5 kV resistors) for feedback from the secondary, but I'm weary of relatively high power dissipation that way, since all current used by the feedback element (e.g. Led driven by voltage to frequency converter) will also pass through the HV resistors.

you can try the feedback winding, but they tend to have errors. youll have to look up cross-regulation issues. this is typically the difference between a good ATX power supply and a poor one.
profdc9
Wed Jun 22 2016, 02:38AM
profdc9 Registered Member #58522 Joined: Tue Mar 15 2016, 08:33PM
You might want to look at

Link2

This is a 1500 V, 1 A power supply to run a tube amplifier. It looks like it uses a divider network and zener diode to set the feedback voltage set point. It may be more complicated than you want to do.

Dan
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: