All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla Injuries

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
meawoppl
Mon May 02 2016, 05:01AM Print
meawoppl Registered Member #57545 Joined: Wed Oct 21 2015, 01:28AM
Does anyone have any actual data points for injuries from tesla coils? There is little if anything about it on the internet. There are lots of people who play around near them in suits etc, but I can't find a single report of "Yeah, that burned" or similar.

Any leads appreciated.
nzoomed
Mon May 02 2016, 05:38AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Your nervous system does not feel high frequency electricity so you can be unaware of any damage that could be happening to your body!
Justin
Mon May 02 2016, 06:13AM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
I can attest that RF burns hurt.

Streamers arcing to a metal object held in your hand don't really hurt unless interrupted, which would indicate it's a bad idea. Mind you all of this is at low power (150W) But that's just my 2 cents.
nzoomed
Mon May 02 2016, 09:35AM
I think its safe enough to hold a fluorescent tube up to a coil arc, but you still have to play it safe and know the boundaries.
Art
Mon May 02 2016, 01:34PM
Art Registered Member #57369 Joined: Fri Sept 18 2015, 01:24PM
You can touch the supply ground of a battery powered slayer exciter and a ground plane will burn every time like a hot plate though the metal is at room temperature.
That’s one of the few parts you can touch that may not stop it oscillating like touching the toroid would.
nzoomed
Mon May 02 2016, 10:23PM
Art wrote ...

You can touch the supply ground of a battery powered slayer exciter and a ground plane will burn every time like a hot plate though the metal is at room temperature.
That’s one of the few parts you can touch that may not stop it oscillating like touching the toroid would.

So are you saying if you touch the toroid of a working tesla coil it will effectively alter its capacitance and stop oscillation in turn killing its power output?
Art
Mon May 02 2016, 11:57PM
Art Registered Member #57369 Joined: Fri Sept 18 2015, 01:24PM
A slayer exciter is the same transformer hardware (usually smaller),
with a single transistor driver of low power that relies on feedback from the secondary for the driver to oscillate at all.

For your typical Tesla coil, if the driver was driven with with the extra coil to provide feedback as in many valve circuits maybe,
but I don’t think there is ever a time the toroid is fully discharged to make that safe.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue May 03 2016, 03:22AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
If you're going to play with fluorescent tubes, don't just hold them up to an arc. I did that a few times with my SGTC and it hurts!

Always ground the bottom end of your tubes. When the gas strikes inside it becomes a better conductor then you! Grounding the tube makes it safe for you, kids, and other spectators.
nzoomed
Tue May 03 2016, 09:17AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

If you're going to play with fluorescent tubes, don't just hold them up to an arc. I did that a few times with my SGTC and it hurts!

Always ground the bottom end of your tubes. When the gas strikes inside it becomes a better conductor then you! Grounding the tube makes it safe for you, kids, and other spectators.

Yes that would be a wise move, i will be interested to see how it will work when i get mine going.
meawoppl
Sat May 07 2016, 07:47PM
meawoppl Registered Member #57545 Joined: Wed Oct 21 2015, 01:28AM
Interesting. I was looking for some documentation around persistent damage o injury caused by these devices. I realize that people are injured/die from 120/220 mains frequently, and the primary on the coils i have worked with are moving something like 2kA, which is obviously dangerous.

I guess I was mainly curious if people have been injured by sparks/streamers from secondaries. I don't ask this question lightly, and I am aware of the notional dangers, but I am really presently looking for some tangible/documented events.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: