Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How many volts per meter of Arc for a DRSSTC?

Move Thread LAN_403
nzoomed
Sun Apr 24 2016, 12:18AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Or any tesla coil for that matter?

I used to think it was 1 Million Volts per meter for an arc, now i read its 3 Million volts per meter.

AFAIK, this is for breakdown voltage and then once the air is ionized, you can lower the voltage can drop and still arc.

Anyway, if my DRSSTC can make 2M or long arcs, then with the 3 Million volts rule, it would have to produce at least 6 million volts for 2 metres.

What really confuses me here is that people are saying on here and other forums that their tesla coils are only putting out around 400 - 500 KV.

Does this sound right?

Is frequency dependant on the arc length?

Im interested to know the physics involved, because perhaps tesla coils physics are different at such high frequency?
DekuTree64
Sun Apr 24 2016, 04:40PM
DekuTree64 Registered Member #54596 Joined: Fri Mar 06 2015, 11:31AM
3 million per meter is the maximum that air can support before breakdown. But to maintain that voltage without sparking, you need large polished spherical electrodes. Smaller spheres, rough surfaces and pointy things will spark at much lower voltage.

In the case of Tesla coils, these rules only apply until the streamer "breaks out". After that, the high frequency makes it propagate differently than a DC spark.
loneoceans
Sun Apr 24 2016, 11:41PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
DekuTree64 wrote ...

3 million per meter is the maximum that air can support before breakdown. But to maintain that voltage without sparking, you need large polished spherical electrodes. Smaller spheres, rough surfaces and pointy things will spark at much lower voltage.

In the case of Tesla coils, these rules only apply until the streamer "breaks out". After that, the high frequency makes it propagate differently than a DC spark.

That's right, typical Tesla Coil voltages are closer to high tens, to hundreds of kV for the largest coils. smile Some of the most unusual ones are in QCW sparks where voltages (measured) are below 100kV though with spark lengths >2m or more.
nzoomed
Mon Apr 25 2016, 11:40PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
loneoceans wrote ...

DekuTree64 wrote ...

That's right, typical Tesla Coil voltages are closer to high tens, to hundreds of kV for the largest coils. smile Some of the most unusual ones are in QCW sparks where voltages (measured) are below 100kV though with spark lengths >2m or more.

Ok this confirms alot what i have observed, as i have had much longer sparks than the 3MV per metre rule even from things such as an ignition coil.

And i take it there are some significant physics involved with high frequency sources such as a tesla coil that reduce the voltage required considerably?
GrantX
Tue Apr 26 2016, 06:10AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Link2

Somewhat related (and very cool), here's a 150 meter spark created by a 5.2MV Marx generator. I guess the voltage ramp-up as all the Marx stages fire could be doing something similar to the ramped DC bus in a QCW coil?
Uspring
Tue Apr 26 2016, 09:26AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
nzoomed wrote:
And i take it there are some significant physics involved with high frequency sources such as a tesla coil that reduce the voltage required considerably?
Consider a pointed tip at a high DC voltage. There will be enough field near it to cause a breakout, yielding corona. The charge carriers will spread out creating a ball of charge at which boundary the field is too low to induce further ionisation. From there on the charge carriers will just drift away. The current in the corona is limited due to the small drift velocity.

With an AC source, the charges from the initial corona will be sucked back through it, heating it up, creating more charge carriers and then pushed again through it producing more heat. Basically the initial tip will be extended by the hot channel at the beginning of the next cycle, so the arc can grow with each polarity reversal. This growth will eventually be limited by the resistance of the arc channel.

The current in the arc is not limited by the drift velocity as in the DC case. In the AC case, the current is caused by the arcs space charge capacity. This space charge is pushed and sucked back and forth. Therefore AC arcs can end in midair, unlike DC arcs.
DekuTree64
Tue Apr 26 2016, 07:00PM
DekuTree64 Registered Member #54596 Joined: Fri Mar 06 2015, 11:31AM
GrantX wrote ...

Link2

Somewhat related (and very cool), here's a 150 meter spark created by a 5.2MV Marx generator. I guess the voltage ramp-up as all the Marx stages fire could be doing something similar to the ramped DC bus in a QCW coil?
Wow! And that's even a DC spark. Just goes to show that 3MV/meter is only a limit on how much voltage you can sustain without sparking, and not a limit on how long of a spark you can make with a given voltage. But that still seems unbelievably long... if things scale linearly, that means you should be able to make a 1.5 meter DC spark with 50kV. Even with pointy electrodes, extremely fast voltage rise, and large amount of energy available, I wouldn't have thought you could get that far.
GrantX
Thu Apr 28 2016, 09:14AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
It's certainly a bit peculiar. There must be some kind of non-linear relationship that only starts to show itself around 1MV<. I wish I could find it again, but I remember reading about measurements done with a big SGTC in the 90's. With a smaller topload, the peak voltage between the topload and earth was very high, but the sparks weren't incredible. Adding a big topload increased the available charge and spark length, however the peak voltage was significantly lower.

If you can get such long discharges simply with a quick rise-time, then I wonder if there have been flashovers or arcing on the huge 1.1MV AC transmission power line in Russia.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: