All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

problem with cg igbt switch

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Sun Nov 05 2006, 03:16PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
okay, ive been playing around with mosfet and igbt switches for coilguns but i havent found the right way to switch the mosfets/igbts.

i have a simple trigger circuit (555) to adjust the on time with a driver ic and then the igbt. works good so far but i had some mysterious failures.. so, is there any way to completely isolate the igbt from the triggering circuit, ive heard someone uses a gdt but i had no success trying this. and i dont want it to be too complicated cause i want it to use for a 10 or more stage cg. is there anyone out there who can give me some tipps?
Marko
Sun Nov 05 2006, 03:28PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Have any schematics? Pics?

You want the driver IC to be fast enoughand peak current within ratings of mosfet/IGBT.

You can also 'overvolt' IGBT gate up to 30V to keep saturation voltage down and allow some more peak current than maximum rating.

Driver IC needs to be powerful enough (very powerful for lots of paralel devices) and gate leakage inductance must be low.

No failures are 'mysterious' actually...

Reaching
Sun Nov 05 2006, 03:44PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
i use irg4bc20ud igbts, 10 in parallel to get a very good igbt brick, with a 600volt rating, 130A continious, 520A pulsed, power dissipation of 600watts and a turn on time of only 39nS , gate capacitance 5,2nF.

when i connect the igbt directly to the mosfet driver ic, everything is fine, but the source of the igbt is the same as for the triggering circuit and the other electronics, and thats my problem, . i have enough knowledge about driver ics etc but how can i switch the igbt without connecting it electrically to the triggering circuit,.. yeah but i see no one knows again where my problem is
Sun Nov 05 2006, 03:45PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well if you want to completely insulate the gate...

Get an optocoupler. Any one will work. Hook up your logic to the led input. Now you have an isolated input for your gate driver. Ideally you would put in some type of gate driver chip, as you want to have a circuit that actively pulls the gate to + 20v and at least -10v, preferably like -20v. The most common way to do this is to have 2 gate driver chips, set up to that when the output on one is grounded the other is high, and vice versa, so that the gate swings +/-.

But the power to that circuit needs to be isolated. You could put a small 12v battery ('lighter battery') in each stage, with a couple of nice fat caps (say a 100ufd electrolytic, a 1ufd tant, and 100nf ceramic, with the ceramic as close to the ucc as possible). Or you could build a nice big smps for the stages to use. I would recommend using a mazzilli circuit (due to extremely simple nature), run it of 12v using whatever moseftes you have arround, and then have a 10+10 turn primary, then 10 secondaries (wind one and see how many turns you need, aim for 20v p-p). Then on each gate driver board use some fast diodes and zeners to rectify the output and viola.

But if you want dirt simple.... You could just take a resistor sized to draw ~1ma across the high voltage side of the fet, to a 20v zener to the ground of the fet. Then put your big cap across that. I don't think that you will be able to power a ucc off that, but you could just put a pulldown on the fet, and use the internal transistor in the ucc to turn on the gate. It won't be perfect, but if it works it works wink
Marko
Sun Nov 05 2006, 03:59PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
What driver IC are you using, again? you need something like at least one UCC to drive those IGBT's properly.

A big problem wiht IGBT's is that they simply don't tend to share current like mosfets their negative tempco. This is especially a problem with very large IGBT stacks, as it's hard to equalize resistances and inductances between them. Once one random die starts conducting a bit more current it gets hotter, and as it is hotter it's reisstance drops and makes it conduct even more current (thermal runaway) until it fries.

I would really recommend using smaller number of stronger IGBT's, it would be perfect if you used just 1 per stage.

You could also split the cap bank or make multifilar coil, although I don't know if it would work well. (I know it works on OLTC's)
What diodes are you using to clamp the coil?

If you want optoisolation you *could* use a simple resistor-zener-cap arrangement to provide single-shot power to ucc, and use optocoupler on it.
(I don't see any advantage on isolation if you are using just 1 switch and you don't need level shifting).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: