All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My Class E

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Fri Mar 11 2016, 08:12AM Print
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Original thread here Link2

Here is my first Class E Tesla Coil and also my first high frequency Project.

So far I am still testing the setup with only 50v. New board design helped a lot.
1457682912 3114 FT0 Imag0897

1457682912 3114 FT0 Imag0900

1457682983 3114 FT0 Imag0902

I had some issues with my secondary, I got a burned ring on my secondary and it runs hot. (probably cause the PVC is lossy and conducting..) I think It was cause by and RF burn that arced and melted the insulation all the way around. Wider dia. primary reduced heating but gave shorter arcs.
1457683177 3114 FT0 Imag0912

1457683177 3114 FT0 Imag0913

1457683177 3114 FT0 Video0246 0000009112

Versus
1457683229 3114 FT0 Imag0914

1457683229 3114 FT0 Imag0916

50v Setup specs:

45nf DC blocking Cap
960pf Shunt ( varies with supply voltage, every 220pf seems to increase or reduce Voltage by ~30v)
3 turn primary
2.89 MHz Res

Yellow:DC Blocking, Red: RF Choke, Blue: Ixdn630 runs COOL!! off of 12v supply,Green: Shunt caps
1457683417 3114 FT0 Imag0911 1

1457683588 3114 FT0 Imag0910

1457683679 3114 FT0 Imag0907

1457683679 3114 FT0 Imag0908

I used some scrap wire for the primary and will probably rewind the secondary. Just getting a feel for the E class...Feels good..

Schematic of course. Changes to it so far :

Used 12v 2amp regulator instead on 15v
RFC= 26 turns of 18awg with two type 2 iron powder together.

1457683815 3114 FT0 001

Lastly Fets are cool..

ZakWolf
Fri Mar 11 2016, 08:15AM
Oops forgot the the scope shot with the wider dia primary set up.
1457684095 3114 FT175952 Newfile2
ZakWolf
Tue Mar 15 2016, 05:34AM
Working on adding a GDT for the ixdn630. Cant believe I forgot to put one in there. Blew two of them and many fets. They are expensive. Returning shortly.

Update. Rewound secondary for 1Mhz. About 1in output at 50v Cant wait to see it at 170v
jdub1581hv
Wed Mar 16 2016, 03:30PM
jdub1581hv Registered Member #55219 Joined: Tue Jun 09 2015, 11:21PM
Looks good Zak, I like the board layout...
About your resonator, I could be wrong, but maybe the twisted pair is adding excess resistance / capacitance and May be the source of some of the heat you mention.
I get why you went that route, skin effect etc... Maybe build a single winding secondary and compare?

Also, Did you add / are you using an interrupter?

I was fortunate enough to have my friend come over and explain some of the things I didn't understand with the Class E TC diagrams (He's an electrical / electronics genius literally).
He told me that I should consider (from standard E schematics) the DCB cap, L2, and Load resistor as the Secondary tank (internal stats). The RFC, Shunt Cap would then be the Primary tank.
This was what confused me with comparing all the different builds.. and what I was trying to share in the other thread, but was just a little off...

Once again Looks good!. I think I am close with my 'No Scope' PLL Class E attempt @ 150khz, working on the soft start circuit then time to light it up :)
Weston
Sun Mar 20 2016, 08:59PM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Cool coil.

How much does the power FET heat up? SiC MOSFETs have a low gate charge (which is why your gate drive chip stays cool). However, they also have a high internal gate resistance, which I expect will limit the maximum frequency they can switch at when compared to a normal silicon MOSFET.

You should not need a GDT unless you are trying to galvanically isolate the driver from the power stage. Your schematic as drawn has a common ground so a GDT would just add leakage inductance and potentially slow your gate drive. A lack of a GDT would not lead to blown FETs.

Whats the reason for all the parallel inverters driving the IXDN630?
ZakWolf
Sun Mar 20 2016, 10:13PM
Weston wrote ...

Cool coil.

How much does the power FET heat up? SiC MOSFETs have a low gate charge (which is why your gate drive chip stays cool). However, they also have a high internal gate resistance, which I expect will limit the maximum frequency they can switch at when compared to a normal silicon MOSFET.

You should not need a GDT unless you are trying to galvanically isolate the driver from the power stage. Your schematic as drawn has a common ground so a GDT would just add leakage inductance and potentially slow your gate drive. A lack of a GDT would not lead to blown FETs.

Whats the reason for all the parallel inverters driving the IXDN630?

Im taking a little break on the project but I managed to get a little more progress.

I added the GDT cause every time I blew a FET it fried my gate drive chip. Those IXDN630's cost $7.77 a piece. Is there another way to prevent them from dying. I was not able to get good wave form from the GDT out of the ~14 cores I tested. I would prefer to go without it.

The T-220 or T-263 pkg type for the drive chip mounted to the heat sink eliminated all heating in the chip completely. However during testing the FET would get hot depending on the tuning after about 10sec. I have it mounted to a large base heat sink with a small fan blowing through the grooves keeping the heat down A LOT.

I removed most of the paralleled inverters as they added delays and ringing to the drive frequency.

I was really just trying to get a foot hold on what does what when I adjust something in the circuit. I set up my primary with lossy 18awg wire with taps to test the affects on the wave form. Also just kept adding or reducing shut caps to change the max V seen by the FET.

The height of the pri. played a big part in spark output. To high up the secondary and it blew my FET.

Pictures are old, Secondary is now made of single 32awg on acrylic ~2in diameter. Res. 1.18MHz

I want to experiment with antenna or CT feedback for tuning but wouldn't I require something to start the oscillation?

I will also be updating my schematic here soon as well
jdub1581hv
Mon Mar 21 2016, 05:25PM
jdub1581hv Registered Member #55219 Joined: Tue Jun 09 2015, 11:21PM
With the GDT from personal experience, Start with the standard 15 turn 1:1:1 ratio, measure, then try 8 turns, and 20.. I found some like more turns, others like less..
Or for $5us you can buy a small pre-wound gdt from mouser P0584NL (product number) buddy sent me one, but have not used yet...
With the antenna feedback, if using the 74ac14 ic, unless you use a pull-up resistor on the input( to set output low ) you should be able to get it working without much more, as the ic will send a High output when circuit is turned on, and will/should start oscillations ..
hen918
Mon Mar 21 2016, 06:42PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Ahhh, I think I know why your 'FETs are dying, I used those exact same SiC MOSFETs on my inverter. It would run fine for 10 or 20 minutes and then, seemingly without reason two (they were in a full bridge) of my 'FETs would die.
Using a 'scope I found that the gate voltage at the leg of the MOSFET was ringing to almost 20v. They aren't designed to withstand that! I added a 6.8ohm gate resistor, this damped the oscillations to acceptable levels and I didn't have any more problems.

BTW I didn't use a GDT
ZakWolf
Mon Mar 21 2016, 08:09PM
hen918 wrote ...

Ahhh, I think I know why your 'FETs are dying, I used those exact same SiC MOSFETs on my inverter. It would run fine for 10 or 20 minutes and then, seemingly without reason two (they were in a full bridge) of my 'FETs would die.
Using a 'scope I found that the gate voltage at the leg of the MOSFET was ringing to almost 20v. They aren't designed to withstand that! I added a 6.8ohm gate resistor, this damped the oscillations to acceptable levels and I didn't have any more problems.

BTW I didn't use a GDT

I dont believe that is an issue, During operation the drive voltage is at ~16v-- 18v max. Im using 3 different types although one of the FET has such a large Gate capacitance it really doesn't work. However the WolfSpeed Link2 is fantastic!! It seems whats killing them is the fact that I do not have it tuned properly or it is detuned and cause the Voltage and Current to exist simultaneously causing massive heating. Drain and source pin on one FET got RED hot and lit on on fire. The FET itself had a glowing circle between the two pins. That intern either sends an EMF spike into the IXDN or shorts the chip so that it breaks the drive chip along with it .

Would a high voltage high current diode across the Drain and Source pin of my FET protect the drive chip during a failure?

With that being said, while I am tuning it I was trying to be careful and notice patterns to avoid the coil running with the voltage and current overlapping. It happens. Just costs a lot.

Ill break it out again in a couple days and mess with it some more.
Weston
Wed Mar 23 2016, 11:56PM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
You also want to avoid a GDT as the SiC FETs have an asymmetrical gate drive voltage rating. Its easy to overvoltage them with negative voltages.

If you are trying to reduce the number of gate drive chips killed, consider adding external diodes to ground / VCC, a small SMD fuse, or an external gate drive resistor. The SiC FETs have a high internal gate resistance (26 ohms in the one I linked), so anything less than that will not adversely effect your gate drive waveforms while still protecting the gate driver chip from a short.

Additionally, consider using a cheaper gate drive chip, such as the IXDD609CI ($3 on digikey). The 30 amp gate drive chips are designed for driving huge transistors. The internal gate resistance of most FETs you would consider in this application is high enough such that you will get nowhere near 30 amps of gate current. For the SiC fets you are using it's going to peak at less than an amp.

The smaller IXYS gate drive chips are just as fast, if not faster. I have used them up to 6.78MHz in a class E coil and they worked fine.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: