Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Bobbin material rating DC vs AC voltage

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
dtproff
Wed Feb 24 2016, 10:50AM Print
dtproff Registered Member #57929 Joined: Thu Nov 12 2015, 03:29PM
I notice that most of the materials for bobbins are rated at DC. I have had a hard time finding out what the effects of frequency are on the dielectric strenght.

Any insite here would be appreciated.
Sulaiman
Wed Feb 24 2016, 02:42PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
It depends upon the frequency and dielectric loss tangent of the material,
I found that hv at 100's kHz is enough to damage some plastics
but formers for ferrite transformers are intended for use at 100's kHz so should be no problem.
Patrick
Wed Feb 24 2016, 08:45PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

It depends upon the frequency and dielectric loss tangent of the material,
I found that hv at 100's kHz is enough to damage some plastics
but formers for ferrite transformers are intended for use at 100's kHz so should be no problem.

what plastic is used for SMPS transformers Sulaiman ?
Sulaiman
Thu Feb 25 2016, 07:10AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I don't know, I think it is some form of modified P.E.T.
dtproff
Thu Feb 25 2016, 03:14PM
A little background on why I asked.

Originally I used Sumitomo E4008 (8 segments for the HV and a slot for isolation with the another slot for the primary on a EER core) with a 1mm wall between the core and the HV segments as well as segment to segment). I blew up 10 or 15 transformers using various potting materials and magnet wire coatings. The frequency was 30-200KHz, 300W, resonant half bridge with a low voltage input and a doubler output, a 25Kv peak output.

Next I tried Noryl (it was a black material)... same there. I switched from an EER32 bobbin core to a OP44130UC core and moved the primary away. I changed my wall thickness to to 3mm and moved the primary to the opposite leg. Still kept blowing them up.

I then changed to Sylgard 182 for the potting compound and used poly carbonate for the milled bobbins. Still no luck. But what I could see in the clear material was how I was breaking down. It was eating through the bobbin jumping to the core and running over to the primary side.

So I switched to UHMW-PE and had success. I also went back and annealed the milled PC and had success there also. Now that I have my isolation and creapage paths cleaned up some of the materials I used in the past are now working.

So that was 7 months of winding and experimenting before I came up with a build configuration I was happy with. I am in the process now of going back and revisiting the various build materials one at a time to find out which ones I keep and which I throw out.

So now you know the geneses of my question about the AC vs. DC specs in the material data sheet.
dtproff
Mon Feb 29 2016, 01:36AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I don't know, I think it is some form of modified P.E.T.

Most of the transformer bobbins I have designed used a Sumitomo E4008 or equivalent material. That's the same material used in most ATX power supplies and adapters. It is a LCP (Liquid Crystal Polyester) with a 40% glass fill. Good dielectric numbers but it broke down with 1mm of wall thickness between the core and the winding.
woodchuck
Mon Feb 29 2016, 02:36AM
woodchuck Registered Member #39190 Joined: Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM
Your experience with bobbins has been most interesting! Annealing PC...who woulda thought? UHMW-PE - marvelous stuff! But until now I knew it only as Spectra, the lines on the reserve canopy of my PPG.

Anyway, it seems that plastics with low dielectric constants (which correlates with covalent bonding) tend to deal with high frequency better. So one would expect, everything else being equal, for polyethylene and polypropylene to perform better than polycarbonate, polyester, or PVC.
radiotech
Tue Mar 08 2016, 05:14PM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
One aspect may be the effects of ozone on the plastic you choose. This was an issue in
high voltage parts of television sets with cathode ray tubes.
Flachzange
Fri May 19 2017, 05:21PM
Flachzange Registered Member #61569 Joined: Sat Apr 15 2017, 05:12PM
I had the same problems with my bobbins for the construction of a 50 kV 10 kHz transformer.
In the end i used teflon since it has the lowest tan delta value of all insulating materials, that was still machineable.
All other bobbin materials i used failed in the same way as you described.

The dielectric constant of the plastic is not that important. Moreover the tan delta represents how much heat is dissipated within the dielectric.
jpsmith123
Sun May 21 2017, 03:58AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
You were getting 50 kv @ 10 kHz from your transformer? I can see where that would be a challenge.

IIRC some simulations I did with "pie" type windings on ferrite cores with a square cross section predicted corona (i.e., e-field greater than 30 kv/cm in air) at the square edges of the core underneath the bobbin (with Vo = 12.5 kv peak @ 30 kHz).

On my ferrite cores, one of the things I did to try to minimize it was to file the sharp edges a little bit with a small diamond file.

Flachzange wrote ...

I had the same problems with my bobbins for the construction of a 50 kV 10 kHz transformer.
In the end i used teflon since it has the lowest tan delta value of all insulating materials, that was still machineable.
All other bobbin materials i used failed in the same way as you described.

The dielectric constant of the plastic is not that important. Moreover the tan delta represents how much heat is dissipated within the dielectric.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: