Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Jack (13)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Inductance

Move Thread LAN_403
phil
Fri Nov 03 2006, 04:53AM
phil Registered Member #314 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 03:12AM
I havent had much time to work on my coil guns due to work/school. But it's slowed down for now. I've been seaching online for a formula to calculate the inductance of a solid core coil. So far I have found one on wikipedia, but in order to calculate it correctly i need to know the permability of the material i'm useing as the core. I'm planning on useing the core of a gutted transformer from an ATX power supply. I need to know if it's possible to find the permability of the material. If not I'll go with an Air core coil becuase i plan on going through the equations as part of my senior project. Also i had another question, I was looking at a website that describes the basics of DC/DC converters. In this illustration Dc F11 there is a transistor correct? If i'm not mistaken I have to trigger the transistor on/off with something like a 555 timer. But what frequency should I use? I checked on "another coilgun site" and saw that he was pulsing it at 1.5Khz in his charging circuit. I need to bring something like a 9 volt battery up to 200 volts, is that even possible with a boost converter?
Steve Ward
Sat Nov 04 2006, 01:06AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Is this a senior project for high school or college?

Anyway, boost converter design from my experience is a very iterative process, and will depend greatly on the switching device used and the type of inductor used (more specifically, the core material). For a boost converter, the inductor must work as an energy storage device, so you must have an air gap in the core if its ferrite (because of its very high permeability). If using powdered iron, there is usually a distributed air gap throughout the core material. If using an old laminated iron core.... well, you just dont use those for this application.

Air core is "OK" but keep in mind, you will most certainly be increasing your losses (or, increasing your copper use). The core increases the inductance, which increases the energy storage at a given current. Of course, cores saturate at some point, so there is a limitation. Air doesnt saturate for practical purposes, but keep in mind the resistive losses at higher currents.

Here is the reasoning i had when designing my boost converter (remember, iterative approach, so you may go through this list several times):

What is the output power?

What frequency does my core material work well at? (generally this will be in the 20k-100khz range)

Should i use continuous or discontinuous operation? (powdered iron? use continuous, ferrite? use discontinuous, why? take a look at the hysteresis loss).

What frequency does my switch (MOSFET, IGBT, or at worst, BJT) seem most efficient? Check out the switching losses for a comparison, conduction losses will be pretty similar throughout the frequency range (your average current may go up or down depending on the current's crest factor). For your case, the power level is so low, you can probably skip this.

Pick an operating frequency, then work out the following calculations:

How much energy (in joules) must the inductor convert to the output on every cycle of operation? (this depends on frequency and output power).

What peak and average inductor and switch current am i willing to deal with? Usually you want this to be minimized, but there is definately a limit as you will find.

Calculate the inductor parameters. Will the inductor saturate at the expected peak current? (better figure out B given the current, inductance and number of turns, then make sure its less than Bsat for the core). If you are working with a core with unknown parameters (i was) then you will have to make a few guesses, and do a few test windings on the inductor to determine the inductance per turn. This may be an advantage for using an air core.

This was probably more information than you wanted, but if you want to design a converter, you will usually need to balance bunch of factors at the same time. Just picking components at random will greatly increase the chances of your converter not working. Though, for such a tiny converter, you could probably get away with it tongue .
phil
Sat Nov 04 2006, 03:50AM
Should i just fux the boost converter and use an IC instead? I'm also a lil confused, are there any other ways to charge a capacitor? See whats happening now (becuase i'm a noob) is if i put 9 volts to a 200 volt capacitor the cap only charges to 9 volts. I dont need a full explination of how i could use another way, a link would be fine.
Sat Nov 04 2006, 06:03AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well, no offense but... If you cannot figure out why putting 9v onto a 200v capacitor only charges it to 9v then you might want to look for a project that does not involve lethal voltages.

But in any case...

You have several possible methods:
1. probably your best bet...

Get a small transformer that does what you want it to. I would recommend going down the the local disposable-camera-dealer (ie cvs, wall mart, whatever) and beg them for used disposible cameras (they need to have a flash) and tell them that you need them for school and give them your saddest look. If they don't give them to you either walk off and try another store or cough up the ungodly sum of money (like $8 now!) to buy one, or 2, or 3. If you opt to buy it then you can use all of the exposures, just make sure to wind it fully when you are done, then carefully crack it open, and viola there is a normal roll of film you can have developed. But that is not what you are after.
Once you get home, carefully rip the camera open. Be very careful of any exposed metal parts, as chances are that the cap is still charged and getting shocked by one is no fun (trust me). Find the circuit board, which will have a large capacitor labeled HIGH VOLTAGE on it. Short the 2 terminals of the cap with a screwdriver, it will usually make a loud bang. Do it a few more times for good measure. Then carefully remove the circuit.
You now have in your hand a fully functional 300v power supply. You can parallel several of them together if you need more power.
You also get the caps from the camera (they are ideal for coil guns).

option 2:
Follow one the published boost converter designs (schematics can be found about 1/2 down this page. You can leave out the 1.5A high speed driver if you do not know what it is). This will do exactly what you want.

option 3:
since you seem to have a transformer out of an atx power supply, you could make a small half-bridge smps supply using it and a tl494 and a few other cheep parts. But this is an advanced exercise and I do not want to explain it unless you are actually going to to do it.

good luck and don't blow yourself up!
phil
Sun Nov 05 2006, 04:06AM
I can't promise that i wont blow myself up. But i guess i'm going with a boost converter then.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: