Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum for high voltage plasma

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Toasty
Wed Feb 10 2016, 08:59PM Print
Toasty Registered Member #56785 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:54PM
Hi all
I plan on making a vacuum chamber for simple plasma expiriments. The only thing i still need is a good vacuum pump. I have seen people use refrigerator compressor, modified air compressor and a simple modified bicycle pump. I am currently thinking about using the modified bicycle pump since i don't have an air compressor laying around. Does anybody here have some experience with those? Will it make a good vacuum?
Thanks for helping me out cheesey
woodchuck
Wed Feb 10 2016, 11:34PM
woodchuck Registered Member #39190 Joined: Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM
My first vacuum pump was a section of surgical rubber tubing and two print rollers. Sort of a manual peristaltic pump. It helps if you put a tiny amount of a low vapor pressure oil on the inside of the tubing (like the oil used in diffusion pumps).

It's slow, but it is more effective than you might imagine.
LouisHV
Thu Feb 11 2016, 02:16PM
LouisHV Registered Member #55102 Joined: Tue May 26 2015, 12:03PM
Hi Toasty,

I have used a refrigeration compressor from a fridge I found in a dumpster on the street I live in. It doesn't hold a candle to my Edwards RV5 but it got me into "playful" plasma territory really cheap. Be careful of the stuff inside the copper pipes... disposal regulations and not to mention what it could mean for your health. Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in on this subject.

From experimentation I found fridge compressor > tyre compressor.

The bicycle pump... I once tried to pump down a jam jar (metal lid) with a "reversible"bicycle pump. It worked but it leaked through the cheap seals within a minute or so. The type of bicycle pump that has a foot pedal type of actuator works really good, if you can use an average quality one way valve inline.

If you are willing to spend some money...

this: http://www.amazon.com/Tenive-Double-Rotary-Economy-Vacuum/dp/B017AYO82E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455198581&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=vacuum+pump&psc=1 is not bad at all! I can not vouch for the quality though.

for less than half the price http://www.amazon.com/Zeny%C2%AE-Single-Stage-Rotary-Vacuum-R410a/dp/B012CFTYX4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455198581&sr=8-3&keywords=vacuum+pump will get you to a claimed 5 Pascals.. probably much higher pressure than that but hey for 35 USD + shipping... Plasma all day long!

If you are willing to spend a 100USD or so a 2nd hand yellow jacket vacuum pump built for HVAC servicing will last long, be serviceable, have parts and oil available and is reputable and known in the industry.

If you are desperate to play with plasma, I once jammed a nail into the tip of a big-ish plastic syringe and pulled back on the plunger, touched the nail to a small flyback used to power a bad quality plasma ball toy (+-5kv maybe) and got some great quick and cheap plasma goodness. Used some hot glue to seal the nail to tip part and if careful enough to not pull the plunger out completely could use it quite a couple of times.

Good luck and peace :)

Louis.

edit: I like woodchuck's method. with an okay one-way valve and nice silicone rubber hose it should work surprisingly well.
2Spoons
Thu Feb 11 2016, 11:41PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
If you want a really simple solution you could make a venturi pump, also known as a water aspirator. I made one when I was about 14, out of some bits of copper tubing. Worked a treat for plasma-in-a-jar experiments. Just have to be careful not to let water get sucked back into the jar when turning off the water supply.
Link2
How good your vacuum is depends on how cold your water supply is (colder=better).
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Feb 12 2016, 02:28AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I made an aspirator too, it worked pretty well, but I think buying one for the $14 would be more do-able.

I would recommend to stay away from the really nice pumps on ebay because they always need a rebuild.
I still have yet to successfully rebuild my Welch 1402 because the main seal just listed as "seal" in the drawing has a trick to install it, AND when rebuilding the pump you actually have to repaint it. The painting process serves to seal the pump partially, so they are tricky bastards to rebuild, much more so then what appears on the surface.

A major rebuild kit for a simple Welch is gonna run $250, in addition to the pump running $150, but you're going to need a Hastings gauge as well to see if you rebuilt it right, which is going to run another $250 for the meter and tube.
And if you didn't rebuild it tight enough, you might have to spend $45 on heavier oil to get you where you want to be, half a micron.

So I would stick to the aspirator for now.

P.S. don't even get started on vacuum line! that stuff is really expensive too!
Ash Small
Fri Feb 12 2016, 02:35AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Have you looked on eBay?depending on what side of the pond you're on it's either Edwards or Welch, I think.

Thet are surprisingly cheap, and even when the buyer puts 'untested' or whatever, the chances are they are still perfectly servicable.

There are tutorials online for rebuilding them cheaply if required.

It's sensible to change the oil.

I've two I paid next to nothing for.

Diffusion pumps come up cheaply as well, but you won't need one of those yet wink
2Spoons
Fri Feb 12 2016, 03:01AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Sometimes I forget how easy it is to just buy stuff from ebay. I made my aspirator before the internet existed. Buying one was just not an option. And frankly, building one and seeing it work was very satisfying.
woodchuck
Fri Feb 12 2016, 04:25AM
woodchuck Registered Member #39190 Joined: Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM
FWIW, of the many varied water aspirator pumps out there, the best I know of is the polypropylene Thermo Scientific Nalgene pump. It produced the best vacuum and used the least amount of water.
jpsmith123
Fri Feb 12 2016, 04:46AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Hello LouisHV,

I'm wondering, do you have any experience with that "Tenive" vacuum pump?

The reason I ask is because on the amazon web site, the ultimate vacuum spec. is stated to be 0.3 Pa, which is very good for a cheap AC service type vacuum pump.

If that pump will actually go that low I want one (although it would be better if it also had a gas ballast feature).

Toasty
Fri Feb 12 2016, 05:57AM
Toasty Registered Member #56785 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:54PM
2Spoons wrote ...

If you want a really simple solution you could make a venturi pump, also known as a water aspirator. I made one when I was about 14, out of some bits of copper tubing. Worked a treat for plasma-in-a-jar experiments. Just have to be careful not to let water get sucked back into the jar when turning off the water supply.
Link2
How good your vacuum is depends on how cold your water supply is (colder=better).
Oh nice! Never heard of it but it looks like a simple way to get a nice vacuum
Thanks
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: