Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Jack (13)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mosfets for coilgun switch?

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Thu Nov 02 2006, 07:55PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
okay. i got a bunch of ixfx27n80Q mosfets very cheap and thought to use them for a coilgun switch instead of an igbt. my thought was to parallel 5 of these mosfets to get around 500A peak. the on resistance with 5 in parallel is 60milli ohms. i want to use them up to 400volts. is it worth a try or would the mosfets blow away immediatly? yeah i know the losses are I²*r but the result would be 15000watts ,thats nonsense, time is a another factor or not? a pulsewidth of 500ys or so cannot result in dissiplating 15000watts in the mosfets,.. maybe someone with more knowledge can explain if it would work or not. i got them for a few bucks and i have 45 of them
Marko
Thu Nov 02 2006, 08:21PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Yup, it's not nonsense, it's 15000 watts. Not all that much considering your coilgun operates at 200 000W peak for given data. Voltage drop across mosfets in that case is going to be 30 volts compared to 'few' volts on typical IGBT in same application, ant it's now all about if you want to trade this for mosfet's speed and hope for higher efficiency, although mosfets seem to out-cost IGBT quite a bit, but since you got them free you can try..

Reaching
Thu Nov 02 2006, 09:07PM
okay i tried it with a simple test setup and the results seems promising. i used a 1000yf 250volt capacitor, full charged to 240volts. 4 of the ixfx27n80 mosfets in parallel gate source resistor of 470 ohms (to discharge the gate in a time X) on the gate of the mosfet a 1,5yf cap in parallel with a 1k resistor (to charge the gate up in a time X) no pulse width modulated ic or so and it works quite well. dont know the L of the coil but it has a resistance of about 0,7 ohms. 0,7 ohms+0,075ohms on resistance=0,775ohms. 240/0,775=309,67A peak. dont know the exact on time of the mosfets yet but after one shot the cap is discharged to about 13 volts. calculated losses in the mosfets are 309,67A²+0,075 ohms on resistance, should be 7192watts dissiplation, so why wont the mosfets die, they even dont get warm.. i dont believe in this silly formula any more shades . tommorow i´ll test it up to 400volts. i even dont use a fast recovery diode so the internal body diodes cant be so bad
Marko
Thu Nov 02 2006, 10:13PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
'Few kilowatts of pulse dissipation trough few us is OK, and that's why pulse current is defined.

During that brief period only couple of joules of heat wll be transferred to die, and mosfet will be OK until you make it dissipate enough energy to push it's 'surge' junction temperature (Tmj as in datasheet) over 150C where it dies.

Link2
So 'silli formula' is completely true.

If you want to exploit benefits of this mosfet, I think you should make proper high-current gate drive to turn it on and off in it's rated delays, or use halfbridge switching as an advance.
(I don't have expeirence in that part so I leave it to you).

i even dont use a fast recovery diode so the internal body diodes cant be so bad

Body diodes are generally very slow, and in comparison to their switching times some fast diodes would be of great help there.

Reaching
Thu Nov 02 2006, 10:34PM
Firkragg wrote ...

If you want to exploit benefits of this mosfet, I think you should make proper high-current gate drive to turn it on and off in it's rated delays, or use halfbridge switching as an advance.

yeah sure, its just a test setup at the moment, only useable for the trigger stage or injector or so, . i want to build a multistage coilgun with around 10 stages or so so timing and proper fotogates are a must. for the moment its just a test if it works or not and it seems to work very good if they can switch 1000yf 250volt.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: