All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Dual mot SGTC questions

Move Thread LAN_403
Toasty
Sun Jan 17 2016, 02:18PM
Toasty Registered Member #56785 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:54PM
Hi guys i am new on this forum and have a few questions about the dual mot SGTC i made and about tesla coils in general.

1. I sometimes see people adding line filters in their circuits to protect other appliences from harmful rf, however i don't see how that can happen. Wouldnt the rf pick the shortest way to earth instead of heading for your desktop, television etc.

2. I have a dual mot SGTC which i made with the TeslaMap program. However my spark gap sputters sort of. It isnt going off continues. I believe this has something to do with my ballast. I use a third mot from which the secondaries are removed as a ballast. Whenever i use a different ballast i get a continues flame at my spark gap.

3. When i use the mot as ballast i sometimes see a racing spark going from my first turn of the primary to the secondary coil.

4. I don't use a rf filter after my mot output. Is this bad? Does it have any effects?

Note: havent fully tuned my tc yet. I just tested it out yesterday.

Thanks in advance, will maybe make some pictures as well.

edit:
If i want to use a rotary spark gap what would be the target rpm i should look at? i have a mmc of about 40 nf right now. I can use a fan motor which is around the 1300 rpm. Is this suitable for rotary spark gap use?
Link2

Thanks
Sigurthr
Sun Jan 17 2016, 08:21PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
The hard part is that MOTs vary wildly in terms of output, especially these days where they are skimping on core mateiral and winding conductance. You just need a ballpark impedance for the MOT to work out your primary tank values. Without being to empirically measure the output I can't really advise you any.

I can't comment on RSGs, never used one.
Toasty
Mon Jan 18 2016, 04:21AM
Yeah the fact that my output is unknown makes it hard to get it to work properly... i can guess that the voltage should be around the 4kv but the current is a different story
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Jan 18 2016, 04:43AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
You're going to get flames at your RSG because of the tremendous current output from the MOT.

You will probably need to do two things:

1. From the MOT out, you will need to limit the surge current with a capacitor like the one usually attached to the MOT (.65uF or whatever they used)

2. Increase the tank capacitance. This causes CC charging from the MOT. You have flames because the tank cap is not sufficiently loading your charging system, the capacitor is charged quickly and the MOT can still supply more current, so your arc is not quenching.

Hopefully ballasting the outputs of the MOT's will be sufficient, but if its not you will probably need to go to step 2, which sucks because it shifts the whole design.

Check out other MOT TC's, there are a lot of schematics out there.
Toasty
Mon Jan 18 2016, 07:30AM
Yeah, but something worth noting is that when i use a third mot as ballast and i fire the whole thing up the gap fires like it should for maybe 2 seconds.... after that it keeps firing irregularly. I think i will try to upgrade the mmc to maybe 80 nf and see how that works out.

Benjamin
Mon Jan 18 2016, 08:39PM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
For my dual mot SGTC I don't use a ballast and I use a voltage doubler that consists of two microwave oven capacitors, one on each mot hv output, and a diode string across the other side of the capacitors. The diode string can be 4 microwave oven diodes in series or 30-40 1n5408's in series. The tank circuit is connected directly across the diode string with another mot secondary is series as a choke. I use a rotary spark gap running at about 400-500 BPS and a 50nf mmc capacitor bank. This system works great, it can run off a single 120v 15a circuit and makes sparks up to about 5 feet long. I have found the doubler circuit to be very reliable as long as the diode string has LOTS of voltage headroom. The doubler is very easy to build and should improve your results greatly!
Toasty
Tue Jan 19 2016, 04:45AM
Benjamin wrote ...

For my dual mot SGTC I don't use a ballast and I use a voltage doubler that consists of two microwave oven capacitors, one on each mot hv output, and a diode string across the other side of the capacitors. The diode string can be 4 microwave oven diodes in series or 30-40 1n5408's in series. The tank circuit is connected directly across the diode string with another mot secondary is series as a choke. I use a rotary spark gap running at about 400-500 BPS and a 50nf mmc capacitor bank. This system works great, it can run off a single 120v 15a circuit and makes sparks up to about 5 feet long. I have found the doubler circuit to be very reliable as long as the diode string has LOTS of voltage headroom. The doubler is very easy to build and should improve your results greatly!
that sounds awesome, maybe the extra voltage will make it a bit easier to trigger the spark gap more reliable.

edit:
So after a little but of searching (a lot), i discovered that dual mot without a doubler is really hard to get it to work. I guess i have to make a doubler now with the mots.... but will a single mot cap work well as a choke? Orbis there a better circuit availible?
Benjamin
Tue Jan 19 2016, 06:37PM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
Check out this page Link2 for a good doubler design. A few notes about the circuit though; 1. It looks like the mot primaries are in series but to run it off of 120v they need to be in parallel. 2. I used 4 microwave diodes instead of 2 and didn't use the ceramic capacitors (Cf) and it works fine. 3. The 100W power resistors can be replaced with another mot using only the secondary with the primary unconnected. 4. I don't think that a safety gap or oil submersion are necessary when you are only using two mots. I hope that this helps!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: