Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Giant SCR Gate Connector--where to get them?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Signification
Fri Jan 15 2016, 01:47AM Print
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I am using giant puck style SCR's (>50,000A peak) in a B-field generator. The problem is that I have none of those female gate connectors that plug on the tiny gate post protruding from the puck--I have looked all over with no luck. Does anyone here know where to find them? Preferby quality connectors for >50kA pulse switching 5lb monsters!
DerAlbi
Fri Jan 15 2016, 03:49AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Signification, you really go the talent to neglect the most important information in your opening posts....
To make absolutely 100% sure everybody is talking about the same thing, PLEEASE at least give us the SCR-module number and a photo of how those male connectors of the SCR are actually looking.
My SCR pucks here have allrady 2 different connector widths... so.. yeah.. and they are female btw. you see the point?

So my best guess is in your case here: solder them if you want a relieable conncetion. Could you say anything more given your information? Be honest.
Justin
Fri Jan 15 2016, 03:52AM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
Link2

Something like that I imagine?
DerAlbi
Fri Jan 15 2016, 03:55AM
Those are female. Most likely close to what he wants obviously. But as you know... females come in many shapes and sizes cheesey These are the connectors that are on my SCRs... i guess he has a puck without any cable? What worries me is that this type of connector does not really come in different quality standards. However there are some with a retention bluge on them.. they require a hole at the male part to clip in. how can we know.
Signification
Fri Jan 15 2016, 05:38AM
Justin wrote ...

Link2

Something like that I imagine?

No, The other one--looks like a little pin sticking out close to the cathode side on the giant 4lb / 5" diameter pucks. It's the gate terminal. It is the single connector of the white wire in this PIC This particular SCR is much smaller, but the connector appears to be identical in size.

Link2

EDIT:
It just occurred to me--this may be just a solder-on for most types, even though I have seen the press-on wired connectors.
DerAlbi
Fri Jan 15 2016, 07:57AM
This is borderline trolling behavior.
Your link shows fucking ZERO information. As your initial post. btw,

1452844110 2906 FT174838 What
cry cry cry cry cry cry

Board Rules:
E. Make sure each post has a point. Unless you're in the chatting board, there's no need for a one-liner post that doesn't have any real content. Save the one-liners and offhanded comments for private messages.
hen918
Fri Jan 15 2016, 02:02PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
That screenshot might be what you get on German google, but I seem to have got what Signification intended, a picture of a hockey puck thyristor and it's terminals. The one in this link: Link2
Signification
Fri Jan 15 2016, 02:42PM
@ hen918
Yes, That is the PIC I sent and got back when I looked at the preview--did you get something different? Sorry?

@derAlbi
I see people use this type big SCR a lot. I have many, but none have that connector to the gate. I DID look many places before. Trolling????

OK, I WISH I COULD JUST DELETE THE THREAD NOW!! There are ladies working here too!
You are way to rude, vulgar, and, worst of all, a constant irritant that seems to follow me around. NO ONE else here acts this way!!!
I could quote a couple of rules too!

Look back at the proper way you were at your first posts--where did that guy go? now you are king??
DerAlbi
Fri Jan 15 2016, 06:05PM
Thx hen smile at least one person here who is able to link the actual picture and wants to make sure everyone is talking about the same thing wink The king is pleased. amazed ROFL
NO ONE else here acts this way!!!
I gave you your solution "soldering might help" in the first post. Sorry for that, i understand thats irritating. Much more than the fact that you have a serious lag of understanding which information otherns need to communicate with you properly. Its a recurring phenomenon that seems to follow you arround wink I mean.. its ok to call me rude. Happens. How nice is it on your side that Justin above searched for you for stuff thats not relevant for you? I mean he spent time for you, tried to do a good thing and never had the chance. I did too btw. And hen did your work too. You hadnt the fundamental intention to make any effort woth while. "NO ONE else here acts this way!!!" amazed

I really intent to help you here. I hope you realize that we dont care if its a B-field generator, or what specs in kA the SCR has. I dont care that you looked "all over with no luck", when i dont know what you actually looked for and where.. some connector obiously.. some distributors obviously. I dont even know if you just had no luck finding anything or you actually dont know what to look for (it happens that one has no search key word - connectors suck this way there are too many)
I mean.. when you did your search what did you need to do it? I guess you had the SCR partnumber, its datasheet and you looked at the thing, right? Do you really feel honestly by withholding the information anyone could help efficiently?

Just look at your last thread: "Small HeNe brick as capacitor charger"
After requesting more information you pointed generally at http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/laserssc.htm. I went there and picked basically the most reasonable thing for me. You like: "well thanks, its not what i refered to on this page". Me like: "well thanks, then just tell me what the hell you refer to from the beginning". The cool thing is: you could only say that i am refering to the wrong thing because i actually told you directly what I was refering to... i linked the direct PDF (why couldnt you?)... Call me rude or king or whatever.. but what you do is not nice either. And its systematic behavior. Deal with the response.

It just occurred to me--this may be just a solder-on for most types, even though I have seen the press-on wired connectors.
I think the intention is to use a connector actually. Those SCRs arent made to be soldered.. the are only clamped and the manufacurer does not want you to need to solder while mounting them. If you solder, try the lowest temperature possible. I dont know how those pins are sealed and if the seal becomes damaged by heat. Also make sure the wire does not break at the solder joint (concerning your high quality request). Maybe just double heat shrink..
Signification
Fri Jan 15 2016, 07:45PM
I appreciate the information that Justin and hen918 gave me. AND I appreciate that which -you- gave me above in your LAST PARAGRAPH ONLY! It really helped-thanks.

But why do you have to put up such a nasty fuss? Please don't say for "Mt. Stupid" or whatever...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: