Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Adding phase lead to older UD board

Move Thread LAN_403
flyboy7777
Mon Dec 28 2015, 09:26PM
flyboy7777 Registered Member #58118 Joined: Sat Dec 12 2015, 12:34AM
Just wondering if anyone had added the phase lead inductor / burden resistor to an older style UD board that uses the 74HC14? I noticed looking through the UD schematics that the TL3116 started being used around the same time that phase lead inductors were. My question is this... Can you just simply install the inductor and resistor on the old style board? Is the 74HC14 sensitive enough, or would I also need a comparator for better gain?
Steve Ward
Sun Jan 10 2016, 09:01PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The 7414 has a wide hysteresis band which will give a variable delay to its output when feeding in a sinusoidal voltage signal like that from the LR filter (phase lead circuit).

My version of the phase lead circuit relies on a very high voltage across the LR filter, 50 to 70V peak. This is of course way too much for a 5V comparator, so this signal is fed through a resistor into a diode clamp network to make a sorta square signal of just a few volts (limited by the diode drop). The subtle part is that the feedback voltage is not constant, and starts off very small, and so the comparator needs to have a small hysteresis band (to avoid noisy switching) so that the delay between feedback zero crossing and comparator output change is small. The reason i let the CT voltage get so high is so that the variance in switch delay would be minimized, basically, the input signal would be way bigger than the hysteresis band.

You could probably just stick the LR + series R in front of the CT input on my UD1 and get OK results. I didnt like the idea of wide variation in switching timing at the start up, but practically speaking, the current is "small" there anyway, so switch timing is less important.

flyboy7777
Mon Jan 18 2016, 01:44PM
flyboy7777 Registered Member #58118 Joined: Sat Dec 12 2015, 12:34AM
Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I fiddled around with it a bit, but in the end I just decided to build up another one of the UD 2 boards I have lying around. No sense trying to solve a problem that's already been solved... smile

Jonathan

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: