Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Chimney covers

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Mon Dec 14 2015, 08:19AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
This non-electrical project has been driving me nuts, but it's almost done. I want to share a few things I learned from it, and ask for advice about a couple of details that could still be changed.

My wife asked me to put durable, but removable, covers on the chimneys of two unused fireplaces. The young family renting the house does not want to set indoor fires, and in fact is using one fireplace as a shrine place. Now we have cold and wet weather, but the original flue dampers can't be closed properly. They are rusty and warped after many years of being open to the sky.

1450075431 2099 FT0 Dscn0098

1450075431 2099 FT0 Dscn0102

This became a DIY fabrication project when I could not find a ready-made solution, and don't know a suitable handyman. Roof access is with an extension ladder borrowed from friend 4 houses away. For convenience of the tenants, I want to make only two brief trips up there. One: measure and photograph the chimneys. Two: install the covers.

Top covers are supposed to keep rain and cold air out, and warm air in, but need to allow enough airflow to prevent condensation of household moisture in cold flues. Metal seemed more appropriate than wood. I made rectangular pans out of galvanized sheet metal, for the first time since high school. Took advantage of a new tool in the maintenance shop at work: a combination shear, press brake, slip roll similar to Link2 .
The pans will overlap the terra cotta flue tiles but not the whole mortar-topped brick chimneys, one of which is wider than the sheet metal tool capacity. As a result, wind load will be much smaller but holding the covers down is more challenging.

1450077816 2099 FT0 Dscn0258

1450077816 2099 FT0 Dscn0259

Lesson 1: mind the thickness when buying sheet metal. A 36x48" piece from my brother was too big for the guillotine shear. I found roof flashing metal of unspecified gauge, sold by the lineal foot & snipped from a coil by a hardware store employee. Later measurement showed it to be less than 11 mils thick (0.28 mm), compared to almost 17 mils (0.43 mm) for the big sheet. On the morning of panmaking day I took a caliper to hardware store & checked the 24x36" precut rectangles, nominally 26 gauge. Found shockingly large variation among the four specimens in stock: roughly 18, 16, 19, and 23½ mils (0.41 to 0.60 mm). Happily bought the thickest one, after checking that its bar code sticker from SteelWorks matched the other three.

Tried to make a pan from the flashing metal, for practice, but the straight shear could not cut it. Even after adjusting the blade clearance, the too-thin metal simply folded over the edge of fixed blade.

Lesson 2: mind the order of folding. My tutor suggested sawing slots instead of completely removing the corners of unfolded rectangle, to leave little square tabs that wrap around the corners when folded.
1450080362 2099 FT0 Box
For the first pan we folded the A edges before the B edges, with good results. For the second pan we folded the B edges first, then realized that that was just plain wrong. The corner tabs stick out and interfere with making the A folds. We had to bend the tabs with pliers, almost 180 degrees, to be out of the way for the A folds. Two tabs broke off when I bent them back later.

All 8 corners were soldered with no trouble, using a 100 watt unregulated electric soldering iron.
Ash Small
Mon Dec 14 2015, 11:19PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
The house was designed for open fireplaces. I can see it's not built of stone, but it was still designed for them.

Just my opinion wink
klugesmith
Thu Dec 24 2015, 07:55AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
OK, they're up.
1450940769 2099 FT174338 Dscn0292

1450942127 2099 FT174338 Dscn0295
To hold 'em down without adhesives or drilling into masonry, I thought about spring-loaded "tension rods" like those for holding up shower curtains or window curtains. My brother suggested a threaded rod with sharp ends, in two sections with a coupling nut in the middle for tightening. Commercial "Vacu Stack" adaptors have a similar screw adjustment:
1450941481 2099 FT174338 Vacust5
My design combines all three concepts. Spring allows the bar to stay tight during seasonal temperature excursions. Pointy ends might bite into the tile surfaces. Wingnut allows adjustment in place with one hand, if jam nuts & Loctite prevent the all-thread rod from turning.
1450942052 2099 FT174338 Dscn0293
The design evolved slightly in the direction of easier fabrication.
1450942317 2099 FT174338 Dscn0287

I learned that the maximum load on compression springs correlates closely with the wire diameter. In this case 0.16" wire makes a spring that can carry more than 100 pounds. Nominal 3/8"-16 Tee-nuts keep the oversize springs aligned with the 5/16"-18 rods.
1450942773 2099 FT174338 Dscn0288
More details to follow...
twist2b
Thu Dec 31 2015, 03:24PM
twist2b Registered Member #2086 Joined: Tue Apr 21 2009, 02:33AM
Hey man! That's a really neat project!!! Good work they look really well done. Compression springs! That is so cool and simple. So you just bought kits? What was the price? If the total was under $150 that's a really solid investment even if you have a fireplace and obviously don't use it in the summer.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: