All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC V ( now "Skinny Coil" )

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Phillip Slawinski
Mon Nov 23 2015, 04:08AM Print
Phillip Slawinski Registered Member #1732 Joined: Thu Oct 02 2008, 02:34PM
I posted about my DRSSTC V back in 2010 ... Since then I've updated it a little bit. I cut out all the crappy bits, and i put in one of Steve Ward's Universal Drivers (V3). I also went from 120V power to 240V ... the results were pretty neat, so I thought I'd share...

Thanks to Steve Ward for making the UD3!
Mads Barnkob
Mon Nov 23 2015, 02:15PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
That is some really great and spectacular sparks. Could you link to the original post about the coil or give the specifications on it again?

I have been working on something similar, thou a fres at 100 kHz. I am however aiming at longer on-times.

Is the UD3 a official and public thing now or reserved for Ward and friends? ;)

The UD3 got a qcw-like mode?
Steve Ward
Mon Nov 23 2015, 05:08PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM

I'm considering making it more available as time goes on... reasons for keeping it more private for now is that it's a rather complicated beast, and i don't have the motivation to support too many users. If people think its worth the cost (i think the BOM is nearly $100 USD + the need for a Cypress PSoC Programmer) and aren't scared off by the words "serial communications" or "microcontroller programming" or "TQFP soldering" then I'm usually pretty happy to put it into the hands of a caring Tesla Coiler wink. I'm not going to get rich off selling tesla coil drivers (especially complicated ones), so my only motivation is to see what others can create.

The UD3 has been used in basically all types of solid state coil. Main advancements are digitally controlled phase lead, pulse skip (aka freewheeling) current limiting (which allows for long pulse duration even with ground arcs), phase-shift bridge modulation for QCW, and the use of a serial
interface which can allow things like directly sending MIDI data to it. It uses a Cypress PSoC 5LP as the brains.

Link2

It's a neat chip, but certainly has a lot of undocumented quirks and i often run into limits on the programmable logic. There is likely a more capable chip out there now, but years of development have already been invested and "it works".

Ok, enough thread hi-jacking.
Sulaiman
Mon Nov 23 2015, 07:10PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Phillip Slawinski; WOW !

Those are excellent sparks and arcs,especially relative to TC dimensions.
I'm jealous.
Phillip Slawinski
Mon Nov 23 2015, 09:38PM
I can't find the post where I gave specs for this coil, only some of the earlier iterations.

Link2 -- I think only the small toroid on this coil is original to that system.

Anyway ... F0 on this coil is about 104kHz. I'm running a .15µF tank cap, and I think something around 12µH of primary inductance. I recently remade the primary supports from G-10, previously they were delrin which got a little bit melty on me. The G-10 is absolutely necessary now, as the primary gets in excess of 100ºC. The primary is pretty much the only thing aside from the secondary that gets notably warm though.

The secondary has a roughly 12" winding (some turns have been removed due to flash overs ;) ). The secondary is wound with #34 AWG. The secondary unloaded frequency is somewhere in the neighborhood of 140kHz

The bridge inside is comprised of 2 CM300DY-12NF bricks. I have the limiter set at 550A and it actually limits to about 640A (measured). To make the sparks in the video requires about 4kW (input current varies between 11-19A depending on spark loading).

Presently I'm limited by the ceiling in terms of spark length. As you can see from the video, once the bus voltage is turned all the way up, it has absolutely zero problems making 66" sparks.
Phillip Slawinski
Tue Nov 24 2015, 04:06AM
More testing... This time with low break rate and higher pulse length. Pretty neat results. Got the spark length up to six feet. That's a little more than 6 times the secondary winding length. Not too bad, I think.

If you click on the images below you can see the full 56MP image. Definitely recommended for the image of the coil flashing over smile

23262409085 03ab9ec889 C

Things got a little hairy...
22966564840 Deafd0e4dc C

Pretty soon afterwards this happened:

No big deal really, just removed a few more turns and cleaned off the carbon should be good for more testing tomorrow.
loneoceans
Tue Nov 24 2015, 07:37AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Great job phil :) I bet that secondary still has some life left! Long powerful single-shot pulses are always nice to see. I've always wanted to do like a 'bullet time' thing to see the 3D form of a single bushy spark. Looking forward to more!
Mads Barnkob
Tue Nov 24 2015, 08:42AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

I'm considering making it more available as time goes on... reasons for keeping it more private for now is that it's a rather complicated beast, and i don't have the motivation to support too many users. If people think its worth the cost (i think the BOM is nearly $100 USD + the need for a Cypress PSoC Programmer) and aren't scared off by the words "serial communications" or "microcontroller programming" or "TQFP soldering" then I'm usually pretty happy to put it into the hands of a caring Tesla Coiler wink. I'm not going to get rich off selling tesla coil drivers (especially complicated ones), so my only motivation is to see what others can create.

The UD3 has been used in basically all types of solid state coil. Main advancements are digitally controlled phase lead, pulse skip (aka freewheeling) current limiting (which allows for long pulse duration even with ground arcs), phase-shift bridge modulation for QCW, and the use of a serial
interface which can allow things like directly sending MIDI data to it. It uses a Cypress PSoC 5LP as the brains.

Link2

It's a neat chip, but certainly has a lot of undocumented quirks and i often run into limits on the programmable logic. There is likely a more capable chip out there now, but years of development have already been invested and "it works".

Ok, enough thread hi-jacking.

You had me scared off already :) I can understand that it remains in a closed circle when its not a straight forward design that everyone from the street can use. You would have to sell pre-soldered/pre-programmed boards for it to make sense.
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Nov 25 2015, 04:07AM
Ran up to 7ms pulses today. Easily doing 72+ inches now. This coil is looking more and more like it was cobbled together now.

23290610145 A16c10cee9 C

No ... your'e not seeing things, I did put another toroid on top of the toroids. My breakout point was "leaky" so I just took a spare toroid and plopped it up there, problem solved.

22663934003 B456d2a127 C

Hit the garage door opener ... oops. Fortunately it survived.
Phillip Slawinski
Tue Mar 29 2016, 03:54AM
Been a while since I updated this thread, and since the last update I basically rebuilt the entire coil. I've dubbed the new creation "Skinny Coil." This name is a play off of the name Steve Ward gave to his "Fat Coil DRSSTC."

I'm still using the same secondary (because I'm stubborn and don't want to wind a new one). The secondary has been burnt several times, and I've just rewound the *wrong* gauge wire on there every time :) The secondary resonates at 136kHz now with no spark load. The primary is tuned to 104kHz, and that's where it runs (verified by scoping primary current). I rebuilt my MMC with some beefier caps, and now it's up to .156µF. The previous MMC was .15µF, so this isn't much of an increase.

I got rid of the crap Delrin primary supports after they melted. Now I have G-10 supports. Unfortunately the G-10 wasn't enough to handle the temperatures reached by running 175A RMS, so I ended up water cooling the primary. The primary is much happier now that it has cool water flowing through it. The water cooling doesn't stop at the primary though. I had to water cool the bridge as well, since the heatsink was getting to 40ºC with <1minute run time.

I'm now running a PFC designed by Steve Ward. Water cooled -- of course. The water cooling system has around 1.5 liters of water in it, and is circulated with a D5 (strong) pump. This is fed through a 2x120mm radiator and I use 2x PFB1224UHE fans. If you're not familiar with the UHE series fans ... they REALLY blow. You can't run these fans on the bench without securing them, or they will blow themselves away. They're also incredibly loud. Good thing they're installed on a Tesla Coil, so the loudness doesn't matter ;)

The coil runs about 4kW average power. 360V bus, CM300DY-12NF full bridge.

Here's a crummy photo of the coil base:
26013715802 15cf0af2ea B
This photo was taken when the coil was being worked on so it's not completely assembled. You can see the boost inductor below the blue towel on the right side of the photo. The boost inductor typically is located directly behind the big water block for the IGBTs.

Photo of the water blocks:
26106241235 48a49e0f56 B
I used aluminum because it's easy to machine on the CNC router I have access to. Ideally I'd have used something like copper that is more compatible with the other metals in the water loop ... but oh well.

Here's a photo of a CM300 I killed because I had a loose GDT connection.
24028832943 C6c1d5ab3a B

Oh and here's some video of the thing in action...

Other videos are on my page: Link2
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: