All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Standing streamer"

Move Thread LAN_403
omegalabs
Tue Oct 27 2015, 08:40PM
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
I had this strange phenomeon long time ago with my magnifier, and I wasn't able to find any descriptions what can this be.
So there is a little magnifier, powered by a small 350W NST with ARSG, and there is a strange situation, if I held a line shaped grounded object near the transmission line and the topload.
-There are no breakout points, only shiny polished metal topload.
-It happened more, when I built a lambda/2 magnifier
-Once it was standing one place more than 10 seconds, diagonally.
There is a video, showing 3 examples :
Video
If you look closely the #3 one, you can see strange"flaming" thick plasma, in real life it was thicker than my thumb! When this happens, the plasma tries to stay in one place, no matter what's the angle between the plasma line and the ground, which is very strange, considering the plasma is very hot.
Any ideas?
Sulaiman
Tue Oct 27 2015, 11:08PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
speculation;

a question that has bugged me for a while is
why do arcs jump about all over the place rather than remain in the shortest path to the nearest grounded object ?
. hot air carries the ionised air upwards, but will break and the arc should (?) reform on the shortest path.
. the path of the current carrying arcs will be 'bent' by the magnetic field of the primary current which rotates in phase due to resonant frequency 'splitting' with useful coupling ... probably not !
so my query is exactly yours but backwards.

I have never made a 1/2-wavelength magnifier but ...
it would act as a very low turns ratio transformer once an arc is struck, allowing high arc currents,
maybe enough to create plasma ? (briefly)
Uspring
Wed Oct 28 2015, 11:35AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Possibly this has to do with the speed secondary voltage increases. Very slow rampup, such as in QCWs, leads to straight, non branching arcs. Fast rampup to heavily branching types. I'd suggest getting a scope shot from the secondary voltage by placing a probe safely away from the secondary. It would be interesting to find out, whether placing the line shaped object affects secondary voltage rise up speed.

When the arc grows its direction will be influenced by the direction of the electric field and the presence of hot air from the previous bursts. The field at the tip of an arc will have a preferred direction mostly away from the tip but there are also sideways components. For rapidly rising voltages, the direction will be more random, possibly dependent also from the presence of ions in the air.

omegalabs
Wed Oct 28 2015, 08:16PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

speculation;

why do arcs jump about all over the place rather than remain in the shortest path to the nearest grounded object ?
. hot air carries the ionised air upwards, but will break and the arc should (?) reform on the shortest path.
. the path of the current carrying arcs will be 'bent' by the magnetic field of the primary current which rotates in phase due to resonant frequency 'splitting' with useful coupling ... probably not !

it would act as a very low turns ratio transformer once an arc is struck, allowing high arc currents,

This happens only when there is no connection from the plasma to the ground or any object, so only capacitive current can flow.
omegalabs
Wed Oct 28 2015, 08:24PM
Uspring wrote ...

Possibly this has to do with the speed secondary voltage increases. Very slow rampup, such as in QCWs, leads to straight, non branching arcs. Fast rampup to heavily branching types. I'd suggest getting a scope shot from the secondary voltage by placing a probe safely away from the secondary. It would be interesting to find out, whether placing the line shaped object affects secondary voltage rise up speed.

When the arc grows its direction will be influenced by the direction of the electric field and the presence of hot air from the previous bursts. The field at the tip of an arc will have a preferred direction mostly away from the tip but there are also sideways components. For rapidly rising voltages, the direction will be more random, possibly dependent also from the presence of ions in the air.

Well the base is a classical ARSG tesla system, with a resonant frequency about 300kHz, so the rampup should not be slow. BPS was around 500 I think (it's sensitive to the BPS actually).
I don't have any reliable scope right now.
I know how a spark, or arc is formed, but never seen anything like this on any other coils I built (from small to big ones, like 20), or have seen everywhere else, especially not from a spark gap based design.
The most interesting thing for me is the change the thickness of the plasma, sadly the camera is not really good picking up intense UV light, especially with VGA resolution.
Sulaiman
Wed Oct 28 2015, 10:41PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
omegalabs wrote ...

Sulaiman wrote ...

speculation;

This happens only when there is no connection from the plasma to the ground or any object, so only capacitive current can flow.

if there is sound, light or heat then there must be a 'real' current, because there is real power,
but my speculations above are NOT the answer to my question,
I still do not understand why arcs or sparks frequently do not follow a consistent path to ground,
even if only part of the way as in sparks
but brush corona behaves 'logically'
Sigurthr
Thu Oct 29 2015, 06:25AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Ionized air channels have persistence that exceeds the burst length of most coil setups. Because of this streamers can appear to persist along a particular ionization path simply because it IS the path of least resistance, even if there is a shorter distance to ground. Likewise, there is a time of persistence where an ionized air channel appears to glow longer than there is actually current passing through it, this is particularly prevalent at high discharge currents due to I2R heating of the air resulting in incandescence. The hotter the air channel the more ionization, the longer it persists, but also the more convection has an effect on its placement, so there is a sweet spot of current density that results in a nearly stationary streamer.
Uspring
Thu Oct 29 2015, 10:50AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
omegalabs wrote:
Well the base is a classical ARSG tesla system, with a resonant frequency about 300kHz, so the rampup should not be slow.
There is an energy transfer from the primary to the first secondary and from the first secondary to the second secondary. Both of these take time. For the first secondary it depends mostly on the coupling, for the second secondary on the voltage, the first secondary produces. In general I'd guess, that this is slower than for a non magnifier coil.

Sulaiman wrote:
I still do not understand why arcs or sparks frequently do not follow a consistent path to ground,
even if only part of the way as in sparks
but brush corona behaves 'logically'
Think of a partially grown arc and mentally replace it by a piece of wire connected to a high voltage source. There will be corona at the tip and it will look like a brush. The arc will follow any direction of the brush, not necessarily only the path of highest field. For a second or later burst it will tend to follow into the region of hot air. This is dictated by Paschens law: Hot air is thinner than cold air and thus reduces the breakdown voltage.
I think the main difference between TC arcs and e.g. VDG (straighter) arcs is, that the latter are much faster and there is not so much time to transfer charge to the tip of the arc. Therefore the field is much less influenced by the local charge at the tip so it will follow mostly the field, that was there before the arc ignited, i.e. the straightest path.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: