Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Question about CT for SSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Sat Oct 24 2015, 09:22PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Im building Steves mini Link2 and I want to switch from atenna to CT feed back.

I have been reading up on it but I just want to clarify.

CT gets the ground of the seconday ran through the center ?

CT amount of turns, I have seen a lot of 1:1000. Can I rewind a bobin on an E core and have the seconday gnd go through one of the spaces in the core? I dont see winding 1000 turns on a toroid.

I read that If there is high enough coupling between the pri and sec. it may be possible to use the primary grn lead for the CT . In this case the secondarys magnetic feild is absorbed by the primary and the CT will pick this up? Thats what I read but it doesnt sound right.

Since the SSTC primary ends up matching the sec. freq. via antenna feed back I dont think using the primary for the CT with this method will work.

Worse comes to worse I will just use the antenna method that the circuit calls for.
GrantX
Sun Oct 25 2015, 05:18AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
The 1:1000 CT's are most likely for DRSSTC circuits. They are placed over the primary coil where the peak current can easily exceed 1,000A. The primary circuit is tuned to match the secondary.

For a regular SSTC it will need to be placed over the secondary ground lead. You won't need anything close to 1,000 turns, 30 - 100 seems to be the common range. I'm about to wind a CT for my coil, I'm just using a wire from a cat5 cable and a relatively large ferrite toroid.

An E core and bobbin isn't recommended, but it might work. You would need to thread the ground lead through both holes, otherwise you will only have 0.5 turns.
ZakWolf
Sun Oct 25 2015, 07:29PM
GrantX wrote ...

The 1:1000 CT's are most likely for DRSSTC circuits. They are placed over the primary coil where the peak current can easily exceed 1,000A. The primary circuit is tuned to match the secondary.

For a regular SSTC it will need to be placed over the secondary ground lead. You won't need anything close to 1,000 turns, 30 - 100 seems to be the common range. I'm about to wind a CT for my coil, I'm just using a wire from a cat5 cable and a relatively large ferrite toroid.

An E core and bobbin isn't recommended, but it might work. You would need to thread the ground lead through both holes, otherwise you will only have 0.5 turns.

Awesome thanks!! As far as grounding what do i need to ground the coil too? Does what I ground it to effect the CT core ?
Graham Armitage
Sun Oct 25 2015, 10:38PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
I built this same SSTC and also switched from antenna to CT. Wound about 30 turns of cat-5 single strand wire on the torroid with the base of the secondary running through it to the ground. For the ground I connected everything to the mains ground. Here is my setup Link2
ZakWolf
Mon Oct 26 2015, 03:26AM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

I built this same SSTC and also switched from antenna to CT. Wound about 30 turns of cat-5 single strand wire on the torroid with the base of the secondary running through it to the ground. For the ground I connected everything to the mains ground. Here is my setup Link2
Thats good. I have a CT with 42 turns of small solid wire.

Mains ground really ? I was thinking more of either an earth ground or a pseudo ground ( large metal surface). Just in Case I want to move it about and taking it places that might not have a true ground. I do not want and RF going back into the mains and disrupting or harming sensitive equipment.

Can I use a filter on the mains input ? then I can use it for a ground.

What kind of filter would I need for a coil like this, they are frequency specific right ?

Probably gonna start a project thread to show the building process of it later. Thanks !!
Graham Armitage
Mon Oct 26 2015, 04:32PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Yup - a line filter (matching the power input) is what is I use. Keeps the RF out of the house mains. I also want to be able to make it mobile and digging a hole in a school classroom for dedicated ground is not realistic. Never had any problem with RF filter and mains grounding. EM interference from the coil discharge is a much bigger problem.

I will add the connecting to mains ground and a dedicated RF ground could be problematic with ground loop issues. I try and avoid that.
ZakWolf
Tue Oct 27 2015, 12:53AM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

Yup - a line filter (matching the power input) is what is I use. Keeps the RF out of the house mains. I also want to be able to make it mobile and digging a hole in a school classroom for dedicated ground is not realistic. Never had any problem with RF filter and mains grounding. EM interference from the coil discharge is a much bigger problem.

I will add the connecting to mains ground and a dedicated RF ground could be problematic with ground loop issues. I try and avoid that.

Gotcha, you said matching the power input. Like in wattage ? I thought the the filter only blocked a narrow band of frequencies and need to be somewhat specific to the target RF.

I think this coil draws about 3-5 amps
Benjamin
Tue Oct 27 2015, 03:06AM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
I built a small coil using Steve's sstc5 schematic but with a 1:80 secondary base current transformer and no line filter, just using the mains ground. It worked great and I never blew anything up.
ZakWolf
Tue Oct 27 2015, 04:22AM
Benjamin wrote ...

I built a small coil using Steve's sstc5 schematic but with a 1:80 secondary base current transformer and no line filter, just using the mains ground. It worked great and I never blew anything up.

Interesting I have heard lots of mixed things about SSTC. I have had working versions of this coil before and it seems to be a very forgiving and predicable coil. I think ill just run it with the mains ground and earth ground when I can.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: