Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rotary vs Air Blast gap

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
crashstudio
Mon Oct 05 2015, 11:25PM Print
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
I'm currently building an asynchronous rotary spark gap using a grinder and controlling the speed with a variac. I mounted 4 threaded brass rods to a grinding wheel, took it for a spin and it's pretty well balanced. Still have to sand down the edges though. Do I need to add some sort of air flow for quenching this?
Once this is completed I plan to build an air blast gap. After reading a lot on spark gaps I've found many people listing greater results. Some even swear an air blast is by far the best type for an SGTC.
Anyone here have experience with these 2 gaps?

Here's the link to my TeslaMap specs and rotary disk pics.
Link2
Benjamin
Tue Oct 06 2015, 12:07AM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
Hi crashstudio, I have built both types of gaps. I am assuming that you are using an nst. I find that an arsg is better when you are using a power supply with lots of current, like microwave oven transformers. An air blast or vacuum gap will work very well with your setup.A arsg will provide no advantage.
crashstudio
Tue Oct 06 2015, 02:35AM
Benjamin; I'm using 2 NST's in parallel. 15kv 60ma, total 120ma. You said an async wont give me any advantage but it should at least do the job right? TeslaMap says my max spark length should be 72.6 in so I'm hoping my rotary will give me at least 48" to 60". Also, once I switch to the air blast do I use the capacitance value suggested for a static gap?
Check the drive link for pics...
Link2

Benjamin
Tue Oct 06 2015, 04:31AM
For an async or air blast gap you will want to use the suggested value of 34nf. you will not need any air flow for quenching on a rotary. your rotary will work, but not nearly as well as an air blast or vacuum gap. what I have done is used a vacuum cleaner motor connected to a PVC T fitting that splits into two "horns" of 1/2 inch copper pipe ending in 2 brass fittings that face each other, if that makes sense. Check out Link2 for a similar gap.
Graham Armitage
Tue Oct 06 2015, 02:23PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
For what it's worth, I have had much better results from an air gap than RSG, especially when using NSTs. One of the most successful (and easiest) gaps I built was with two thin walled 1" pipes aligned axially and separated by the desired gap. One pipe was close and attached to a handle to adjust it closer or further from the other pipe edge. The second pipe was attached to small vacuum cleaner. This pulled air from outside the pipes and back into the "exhaust" pipe. I enclosed the whole thing in a muffler box to reduce light and noise but allow air flow. Because of the high flow rate of the air the spark was quenched very quickly which is what you want. Hope this helps.

Results can be seen here - Link2
crashstudio
Tue Oct 06 2015, 03:33PM
Benjamin wrote ...

For an async or air blast gap you will want to use the suggested value of 34nf.

Someone else told me to go with the 55nf suggested by teslamap for sync rotary. This won't work? I literally just finished rebuilding the mmc from 34 to 55. Now if I just rewire it each string will have a different length of wire connecting them causing a difference in resistance right?
My rotary will be adjustable up to 10,000 rpm. 55nf won't work within that range?
Benjamin
Tue Oct 06 2015, 04:32PM
55nf will only work with a sync rotary not async! Async gaps in general work best at a high break rate, above 240 bps. if you try to run them at a lower break rate you will have surging due to the gap speed going in and out of phase with the charging frequency. A sync gap allow the nst bank to charge a much larger cap bank. With such a large cap size your nst's wont be able to charge them quickly enough each cycle and the result will be sporadic firing and a much reduced spark length. My advice is to switch back to 34nf and build an air blast gap, they're not that hard to build.
crashstudio
Tue Oct 06 2015, 06:01PM
If I just rewire the mmc with an equal length of wire per string that should eliminate the difference in resistance right? I really don't want to take it all apart and rearrange everything again.
Benjamin
Tue Oct 06 2015, 06:40PM
All of the strings should have the same number of capacitors but the length of the wires connecting them are not that important as the difference in resistance between them is very small. the only way you can use that configuration is with a sync rotary gap or a sync triggered gap. 3 strings of 13 caps each will give you 34.62nf at 26 kv which is more than enough voltage rating at the right capacitance. I'm sorry but It looks like you have to rearrange it, I know how much of a pain it is as I have had to do that several times before too :).

edit: I just realized that If you simply remove 2 of your strings that will give you 27.2nf which is about 1.3 times your resonant value of 21.2nf which is perfect!
crashstudio
Tue Oct 06 2015, 09:37PM
Benjamin wrote ...

edit: I just realized that If you simply remove 2 of your strings that will give you 27.2nf which is about 1.3 times your resonant value of 21.2nf which is perfect!

I thought about that but wouldn't the mmc be happier with more caps? It would mean less of a load per cap right? I would prefer to stretch the life of these as long as possible. I might just remove 5 and rewire the whole thing to 3 strings of 13 instead of removing all of them and rearranging.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: