All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First DRSSTC; questions about dimensions

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Anaesthetix
Sat Sept 19 2015, 02:18PM Print
Anaesthetix Registered Member #54926 Joined: Mon Apr 27 2015, 07:18PM
Hello fellow coilers, I am planning to build my first DRSSTC. I have some experience with spark gap coils and small sstc's. But since DRSSTC's are quite different, I would like to ask you for some help.

First of all, I don't have a specific size I want, it just needs to be impressive for its size.
I am planning to use a CM300DY-24NF half-bridge to do the heavy lifting, with 325V at the bus (no doubler - rectified 230V ac, could go for a doubler if advised). For the MMC I will be using CDE 942 series caps for 225nF at 4KV, this could be increased to 300nF since I have some spares.

My question is about the secondary size and wire diameter. My current design uses a 12,5cm dia, 65cm high coil, with 32 AWG wire for 2600 turns. Since I am using a big (slow) igbt, my guess is I should keep my Fres relatively low. I've put this in JavaTC, which gives me this output:

1442671748 54926 FT0 Untitled

Does this look any good? I have the feeling 32AWG wire would be too thin. I could change this to 30AWG for an Fres ~100kHz, but will my cm300 brick be able to handle this? Any comments on this or other specs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
nzoomed
Sun Sept 20 2015, 12:01AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Anaesthetix wrote ...

Hello fellow coilers, I am planning to build my first DRSSTC. I have some experience with spark gap coils and small sstc's. But since DRSSTC's are quite different, I would like to ask you for some help.

First of all, I don't have a specific size I want, it just needs to be impressive for its size.
I am planning to use a CM300DY-24NF half-bridge to do the heavy lifting, with 325V at the bus (no doubler - rectified 230V ac, could go for a doubler if advised). For the MMC I will be using CDE 942 series caps for 225nF at 4KV, this could be increased to 300nF since I have some spares.

My question is about the secondary size and wire diameter. My current design uses a 12,5cm dia, 65cm high coil, with 32 AWG wire for 2600 turns. Since I am using a big (slow) igbt, my guess is I should keep my Fres relatively low. I've put this in JavaTC, which gives me this output:

1442671748 54926 FT0 Untitled

Does this look any good? I have the feeling 32AWG wire would be too thin. I could change this to 30AWG for an Fres ~100kHz, but will my cm300 brick be able to handle this? Any comments on this or other specs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I too am building my first coil, your specs are somewhat similar to mine, im using cm300dy-24h but im going to be using a voltage doubler since it will give you twice the bus voltage and almost double the output if you are wanting long sparks this is what i would recommend.

I also believe a HD aspect ratio of 4:5 is important too.
Here are my my specs.
Tesla
Mads Barnkob
Sun Sept 20 2015, 07:14AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Anaesthetix wrote ...

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place for advice on building DRSSTC :) You should add you other coils to the show your Tesla coil thread that is a sticky in this forum.

Anaesthetix wrote ...

With CM300 bricks you properly would have your current limit set at 800-1000A, this would give you some good 2 meter sparks.

a 225nF/4kV MMC is too small voltage rating vise for a CM300 coil, using my MMC calculator Link2 I would use a MMC at 300nF/8kV, 4 in series and 8 strings in parallel to have a MMC that fits the ratings of a coil running 1000A at 80kHz.

Anaesthetix wrote ...

You secondary specifications look fine, I am however wondering if you are only using a small topload, since you still have a rather high resonant frequency compared to the number of windings. DRSSTCs like larger toploads than SGTC, they need more capacitance to feed the growth of sparks and to withstand the spark load that will pull the resonant frequency down more with a small topload.

Some day it is my plan to upgrade this DRSSTC from 60N60 IGBTs to a fullbridge of CM300. Link2
nzoomed
Sun Sept 20 2015, 09:45AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

a 225nF/4kV MMC is too small voltage rating vise for a CM300 coil, using my MMC calculator Link2 I would use a MMC at 300nF/8kV, 4 in series and 8 strings in parallel to have a MMC that fits the ratings of a coil running 1000A at 80kHz.

My coil is going to be similar spec to this but with a voltage doubled 230v bus my MMC was going to be 8KV rated, will this be enough for my coil?

Im also confused about current limit when people quote 1000A.
What part of the system is drawing that much current? It cant be the secondary because that is usually in the micro ampers range at that such high voltage.
Mads Barnkob
Sun Sept 20 2015, 10:27AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
nzoomed wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

My coil is going to be similar spec to this but with a voltage doubled 230v bus my MMC was going to be 8KV rated, will this be enough for my coil?

What part of the system is drawing that much current? It cant be the secondary because that is usually in the micro ampers range at that such high voltage.

Below the MMC calculator, all the equations used are listed, here is the specific for your question about supply voltage vs. MMC rating

MMC Zc, impedance: Zc = SQRT(ESR^2 + Xc^2). ESR is the combined ESR for the MMC. Xc is the MMC reactanse from above.

Voltage over MMC: Voltage over MMC = Zc * primary peak current

As you can see, the voltage across the MMC is only a product of the impedance and current.

The peak current that we talk about limiting is the current that circulates in the primary circuit, through IGBT switches, primary coil and primary capacitor. The voltage and current rise in each switch cycle of a DRSSTC is explained here: Link2
nzoomed
Sun Sept 20 2015, 11:48AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Below the MMC calculator, all the equations used are listed, here is the specific for your question about supply voltage vs. MMC rating

MMC Zc, impedance: Zc = SQRT(ESR^2 + Xc^2). ESR is the combined ESR for the MMC. Xc is the MMC reactanse from above.

Voltage over MMC: Voltage over MMC = Zc * primary peak current

As you can see, the voltage across the MMC is only a product of the impedance and current.

The peak current that we talk about limiting is the current that circulates in the primary circuit, through IGBT switches, primary coil and primary capacitor. The voltage and current rise in each switch cycle of a DRSSTC is explained here: Link2

That calculator is useful, it looks like i will be OK up to around 700A, although i dont know if i will be going over that limit if i push it to the limit which i will want to get the longest sparks possible in the end.

I didnt think that 700-1000A would ever be possible on the primary, thats alot of current!
I take it that this is measured in very short bursts per cycle, since the wall outlet is only able to supply me about 15A but is it different for DC?
Anaesthetix
Sun Sept 20 2015, 12:53PM
Thank you very much nzoomed and Mads for your input.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place for advice on building DRSSTC :) You should add you other coils to the show your Tesla coil thread that is a sticky in this forum.

Thank you. I'll be sure to post my other coils soon! My small sstc is getting a revision currently.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

With CM300 bricks you properly would have your current limit set at 800-1000A, this would give you some good 2 meter sparks.

a 225nF/4kV MMC is too small voltage rating vise for a CM300 coil, using my MMC calculator I would use a MMC at 300nF/8kV, 4 in series and 8 strings in parallel to have a MMC that fits the ratings of a coil running 1000A at 80kHz.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

The peak current that we talk about limiting is the current that circulates in the primary circuit, through IGBT switches, primary coil and primary capacitor. The voltage and current rise in each switch cycle of a DRSSTC is explained here:

Okay, I'll order some more capacitors. 2 meter sparks would definitely be impressive. Using the theory for voltage rise with a halfbridge at 325V (half bridge without doubler, so it switches 325V - 0V, other end of primary kept at 162,5V) gives me a little over 6KV after 10 full cycles. This would give me a max current of 850A with 15uH primary and Fres 75kHz. So if I switch to a full-bridge or a half-bridge with doubler, am I correct in saying that the voltage rating of the MMC would need to be doubled?

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

You secondary specifications look fine, I am however wondering if you are only using a small topload, since you still have a rather high resonant frequency compared to the number of windings. DRSSTCs like larger toploads than SGTC, they need more capacitance to feed the growth of sparks and to withstand the spark load that will pull the resonant frequency down more with a small topload.

I've tried adding a bigger topload (15cm * 60cm) which gives me Fres=75kHz. I've also tried adding a second toroid, but this only changes the Fres with a percent or so.
The revised specs:
1442753192 54926 FT173206 Specs

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Some day it is my plan to upgrade this DRSSTC from 60N60 IGBTs to a fullbridge of CM300.

That is one pretty coil you have there! Inspires me even more to build one of my own.
Uspring
Sun Sept 20 2015, 03:40PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
@nzoomed:
Big TC arcs with a meter or more length draw several amps of current.

I take it that this is measured in very short bursts per cycle, since the wall outlet is only able to supply me about 15A but is it different for DC?
Yes, the high bridge current draw is buffered by the big electrolytics on the bus.

@Anaesthitix:
Using the theory for voltage rise with a halfbridge at 325V (half bridge without doubler, so it switches 325V - 0V, other end of primary kept at 162,5V) gives me a little over 6KV after 10 full cycles. This would give me a max current of 850A with 15uH primary and Fres 75kHz. So if I switch to a full-bridge or a half-bridge with doubler, am I correct in saying that the voltage rating of the MMC would need to be doubled?
That would be the case if the primary would ramp up current for the full 10 cycles you assumed. If you wouldn't change the capacitance of the MMC, that would also imply doubling primary current. Usually arc loading limits primary current long before the 10 cycles end, but only if the coil is properly tuned. The trick is to tune the coil in such a way, that you won't hit the OCD. That or the OCD will also prevent the MMC from acquiring too much voltage.
nzoomed
Sun Sept 20 2015, 08:43PM
Anaesthetix wrote ...

[/quote1442751372]
I've tried adding a bigger topload (15cm * 60cm) which gives me Fres=75kHz. I've also tried adding a second toroid, but this only changes the Fres with a percent or so.
The revised specs:
1442753192 54926 FT173206 Specs

That is the same size im going for in my coil too.

Should be easy to make with ducting, but does anyone know where can i get a spun one of these from?

Im thinking of making it myself, but dont think it will be easy.
Anaesthetix
Mon Sept 21 2015, 11:56AM
Uspring wrote ...

@Anaesthitix:
Using the theory for voltage rise with a halfbridge at 325V (half bridge without doubler, so it switches 325V - 0V, other end of primary kept at 162,5V) gives me a little over 6KV after 10 full cycles. This would give me a max current of 850A with 15uH primary and Fres 75kHz. So if I switch to a full-bridge or a half-bridge with doubler, am I correct in saying that the voltage rating of the MMC would need to be doubled?
That would be the case if the primary would ramp up current for the full 10 cycles you assumed. If you wouldn't change the capacitance of the MMC, that would also imply doubling primary current. Usually arc loading limits primary current long before the 10 cycles end, but only if the coil is properly tuned. The trick is to tune the coil in such a way, that you won't hit the OCD. That or the OCD will also prevent the MMC from acquiring too much voltage.
Okay, thank you! I'll probably go for a doubler then, will do some tests on lower bus voltage anyway, to see how it behaves.

nzoomed wrote ...

That is the same size im going for in my coil too.

Should be easy to make with ducting, but does anyone know where can i get a spun one of these from?

Im thinking of making it myself, but dont think it will be easy.
I'll make my toroid from ducting. Always used that for my other coils, it looks and works great. If you try to spin one yourself, let me know how it worked out for you. It would be awesome to be able to make these yourself.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: