Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Help on how a Tesla coil excites a neon bulb

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
TeslaIsBae
Wed Sept 02 2015, 05:15PM Print
TeslaIsBae Registered Member #55171 Joined: Fri Jun 05 2015, 06:44AM
Hello!

I am a student and I am writing an essay on Tesla coils and how they light up bulbs, such as neon tubes. I have built a small model Tesla coil. I will provide more information about it at the end, in case it is necessary. But basically, I can get a neon bulb to light up but I can't figure out how this process happens. There really isn't much information about this online. I know exactly how a neon bulb works so I'm guessing that the Tesla coil must have an electric field.

Therefore, my question is: what makes a neon bulb light up when it's in the close proximity of a Tesla coil. The more detailed the process is, the better.

As to the model coil that I am using; I've built a small DC coil using a bug zapper that is powered by two 1.5V batteries. I am aware that this isn't really a Tesla coil but just an air-core transformer but it is fine as model for my essay. And it causes a neon bulb to light up, so I am assuming that the process is the same as with a real Tesla coil.

Thank you in advance! :)

Richard
hen918
Wed Sept 02 2015, 05:40PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
The air and the glass of the non acts a capacitor, the "Tesla coil" a high frequency high voltage source (with a huge electric field) and the neon is the load.
The tesla coil is sending out a hell of a lot of electrons. Some of these are energising your neon.
The more complex answer involves capacitive coupling (the air is the dielectric of the capacitor)
Link2
TeslaIsBae
Wed Sept 02 2015, 06:03PM
Thanks, that makes sense how the air and the glass of the bulb act as capacitors that then discharge into the neon gas, the load. So if I understand it correctly, by the "energising neon"you mean the Tesla coil's electric field pushes electrons into the neon bulb? Those then ionise the neon gas, which releases free electrons, excites them and the process is then that of a normal neon bulb.
hen918
Wed Sept 02 2015, 07:05PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
TeslaIsBae wrote ...

Thanks, that makes sense how the air and the glass of the bulb act as capacitors that then discharge into the neon gas, the load. So if I understand it correctly, by the "energising neon"you mean the Tesla coil's electric field pushes electrons into the neon bulb? Those then ionise the neon gas, which releases free electrons, excites them and the process is then that of a normal neon bulb.

Umm, yes, basically... The only difference between using the neon normally and with a tesla is that usually you use wire to conduct the voltage, not air! Neons only need very small currents to light which is what lets them light through the ionised air around them.
TeslaIsBae
Wed Sept 02 2015, 07:20PM
Perfect, thank you very much. Sorry for sounding so primitive sometimes; I still have a lot to learn :)
Antonio
Wed Sept 02 2015, 09:26PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
The Tesla coil does not have to push electrons against the tube (what it would do only if actually sparking to the tube). It produces an intense electric field around it, and the low-pressure gas inside the tube gets ionized just due to this, without need of an external power source connected through wires.
TeslaIsBae
Thu Sept 03 2015, 02:14AM
I've noticed that the bulb shines extremely bright when there is a spark constantly jumping to it, but it gets dimmer when it is just being excited by the electric field. Is the process that light the bulb up the same when there is a spark jumping to it and when there isn't? Is it simply that a lot more electrons are discharged into the neon bulb when a spark jumps to it?
dexter
Thu Sept 03 2015, 06:31AM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
i don't like this "the intense electric field ionize the neon" i want more i want to know how
Could it be due to the low pressure neon having a lower resistance than air thus developing a potential difference between different regions of the glass placed at different lengths from the source of the electric field (inverse square drop with distance of the value of the field in different points)?

this explains why a neon lights up even when isolated from ground or other objects?
Dr. Slack
Thu Sept 03 2015, 07:50AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
There are two completely separable issues here. How a neon bulb lights when connected by wires to a power source, which is an interesting enough problem in its own right, and how a TC gets power to it through the air.

Which does the OP want to know about? If both, let's deal with them one at a time, using the most appropriate description for each. The neon will need electric fields, electrons, ions. Power through the air is better handled with just electric fields, capacitance, displacement current. If an arc jumps TC to neon, then we're back to electrons and ions again.
Uspring
Thu Sept 03 2015, 10:04AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
The low pressure in the neon tube will make the gas inside it conductive at much lower electric field strength than necessary e.g. in the air surrounding it. It can therefore light up at distances far outside the reach of arcs of the coil. So why doesn't the tube light up near a high voltage DC source like a van de Graaff generator?

Say you have a VDG charged up to a high positive voltage. Then the electrons inside the tube will be pulled towards the VDG and the positive ions repelled from it. That will cause a field inside the tube against the direction of the VDG field. So there will be no field in the tube and no light.

A Tesla coil produces a high frequency AC field. That causes a permanent flow of electrons and ions back and forth between the sides of the tube facing the coil and opposite from it. The tube will light up.

If an arc hits the tube, there is a conductive path from the TC to the tube, which causes the high electric field of the TC top to be transported into the vicinity of the tube. The tube will be much brighter then.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: